Canada’s deliveries from COVAX join growing list of COVID-19 vaccine confusions

Advertisement

Advertise with us

OTTAWA - Procurement Minister Anita Anand said this week she is confident Canada's COVID-19 vaccine deliveries will only get better going forward but just hours after she made the remark, Canada's vaccine purchases got slammed again.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/02/2021 (2026 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

OTTAWA – Procurement Minister Anita Anand said this week she is confident Canada’s COVID-19 vaccine deliveries will only get better going forward but just hours after she made the remark, Canada’s vaccine purchases got slammed again.

“The worst week was last week,” Anand said in an interview with The Canadian Press Tuesday night.

But within hours of the statement, potential deliveries from the global vaccine-sharing initiative known as the COVAX Facility diminished and Canada learned the production problems that cut this week’s deliveries from Moderna by 20 per cent are now going to affect the next shipment as well.

The problem is, there’s not enough hope-in-a-needle to go around yet, a problem compounded by the confusion over how to get in line for your eventual dose. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
The problem is, there’s not enough hope-in-a-needle to go around yet, a problem compounded by the confusion over how to get in line for your eventual dose. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

Moderna was to deliver almost 250,000 doses to Canada the third week of February. It hasn’t said yet what the impact will be.

A spokeswoman for Moderna told The Canadian Press the company remains “on track” to meet its contract to supply two million doses of its vaccine by the end of March.

They are but the latest headaches for Canada’s vaccine efforts, coming after supply constraints cut Pfizer-BioNTech deliveries by more than two-thirds over four weeks, and European export controls that could put our entire supply of vaccines at risk.

Provinces and territories, which in mid-January got close to vaccinating 50,000 people a day, only vaccinated 5,000 people Jan. 31. Canada, which was one of the first countries to start vaccinating its citizens in mid-December, has fallen out of the top 30 countries when it comes to the proportion of people vaccinated.

But there was some good news. Europe’s assurances to Canada that the export controls wouldn’t stop Canadian shipments came through and new deliveries from Pfizer and Moderna are already landing in Canada.

A spokeswoman for the European Commission said that controls would be used “only in very limited cases” and that Europe is particularly mindful about the impact it could have on countries like Canada, with no domestic COVID-19 vaccine production currently.

On Tuesday afternoon, Anand received confirmation from the COVAX Facility that Canada would be shipped at least 1.9 million and as many as 3.2 million doses of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine by the end of June.

But Wednesday morning, information COVAX published on its website listed only the smaller amount and the international body has not given Canada any explanation.

The documents warn all deliveries are contingent on supplies available.

Canada invested $440 million in COVAX last fall, half to secure up to 15 million doses of vaccine for Canada and half to buy vaccines for low- and middle-income countries that can’t afford vaccines on their own.

Cecely Roy, a spokeswoman for Anand, said COVAX hasn’t explained the discrepancy between its communication to the Canadian government and what it posted publicly. The facility has also not responded to a query from The Canadian Press.

With two doses of vaccine required per person, the gap could be the difference between vaccinating another half-million Canadians before Canada Day.

Canada is also feeling heat from critics who argue Canada is contributing to vaccine nationalism, using its wealth to buy up doses and not doing enough to ensure vaccines get distributed equitably worldwide.

International Development Minister Karina Gould said that is why Canada joined COVAX. But Gould balked at the idea that Canada should forego deliveries from COVAX in favour of letting the facility send more doses to the world’s poorest places.

“At this point in time, the idea was always with COVAX that you would have developed countries and developing countries participate so that you would have global buy-in and support for the process,” Gould said in a separate interview Tuesday.

Independent MP Jody Wilson-Raybould, a former Liberal justice minister, expressed shock Wednesday that Canada would take deliveries “from poor countries.”

“How can this be true!” she wrote on Twitter.

Katrina Plamondon, an assistant professor in the School of Nursing at the University of British Columbia Okanagan and a spokesperson for the Canadian Society of International Health, said equitable access to vaccines is critical.

But Plamondon said Canada’s doses from COVAX are part of the deal it made when it joined, and Canada made one of the most significant contributions to help fund COVAX to date. She said the government is under so much pressure at home to beef up vaccine supplies that turning down any potential doses isn’t really an option.

“It would be politically difficult to refuse those doses,” she said.

Opposition leaders and provincial governments are expressing exasperation at the vaccine rollout.

“We knew over a year ago that the way through this pandemic, one of the key tools we needed to fight this pandemic would be the vaccine,” NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said.

The Liberals remain firm that their effort to procure vaccines from seven different suppliers will still allow them to live up to the promise that every Canadian who wants to be vaccinated can get the shots by the end of September.

Canada has secured 40 million doses each from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, which together should be enough to vaccinate everyone. But three more vaccines — from AstraZeneca, Johnson and Johnson and Novavax — are likely to be approved within the next two or three months, adding another 82 million doses to the pile.

Gould said Canada is still working on a strategy to donate excess doses through COVAX.

The latest numbers on COVID-19 vaccinations in Canada show the country has surpassed one million doses given for the first time.

According to the federal government, the provinces reported 13,768 new vaccinations administered Wednesday for a total of 1,000,862 doses given.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 3, 2021.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Updated: 8:25 AM CDT

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Updated: 8:25 AM CDT

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: 6:24 PM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
12:25 PM CDT

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

Read
Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT