Community groups keep up St. B city hall sale fight

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A fight to keep the old St. Boniface city hall building in public hands appears far from over.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/03/2021 (1985 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A fight to keep the old St. Boniface city hall building in public hands appears far from over.

On Monday, members of the francophone community urged the City of Winnipeg to “keep the keys” to the heritage building at 219 Provencher Blvd. and ensure public access to the site is maintained.

To do so, the city would need to reverse a previously approved sale of the property.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Andrée Forest, left, and Alan Turner deliver two art pieces to Winnipeg City Hall Monday morning. A large, stylized key and a wreath made of hundreds of keys represent the voices of St. Boniface residents who oppose the sale of St. Boniface City Hall.
MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Andrée Forest, left, and Alan Turner deliver two art pieces to Winnipeg City Hall Monday morning. A large, stylized key and a wreath made of hundreds of keys represent the voices of St. Boniface residents who oppose the sale of St. Boniface City Hall.

Council’s property and development committee couldn’t agree on how to address the issue in a late Monday vote, leaving the deal in place.

By Tuesday morning, Société de la francophonie manitobaine vowed to explore all options for public ownership of the building, including potential legal action.

“We told our community we would leave no stone unturned,” said Daniel Boucher, SFM executive director.

Several members of the francophone community voiced opposition to the sale outside Winnipeg city hall on Monday, arguing the 219 Provencher building and sculpture garden offer important amenities that must remain open to the public.

“It’s an important, historical landmark… Our heritage is not for sale,” said Ariane Freynet-Gagné, president of youth group Conseil jeunesse provincial.

The group brought a wreath filled with hundreds of keys to illustrate its “keep the keys” message.

Boucher said many St. Boniface residents believe the City of Winnipeg committed to keep 219 Provencher a public building in perpetuity during the Unicity civic amalgamation process of the 1970s.

“We feel betrayed,” he said.

In February, the property and development committee approved the sale of the former St. Boniface city hall and 212 Dumoulin St. (former St. Boniface fire hall) to Manitoba Possible for $10,000.

Manitoba Possible, formerly known as the Society for Manitobans with Disabilities, wants to create an “abilities village” at the site, which would offer employment, training, social enterprises, and housing.

A city report says 212 Dumoulin has an appraised value of $250,000, while 219 Provencher was appraised for $2.1 million.

The report says bid evaluations favoured projects that protect the heritage buildings, both of which are protected against demolition, while all bids came in “significantly below” the appraised values.

Coun. Matt Allard (St. Boniface) raised what he deemed a “compromise” motion Monday, which called for the property and development committee to remove 219 Provencher from the sale, while still ensuring Manitoba Possible still has the space it needs.

Manitoba Possible opposed Allard’s motion over concerns changing the deal’s footprint would nullify the entire agreement.

Dana Erickson, chief executive officer, stressed he is willing to work with the francophone community to ensure public access continues at 219 Provencher.

“I’m very open to entering into some kind of a long-term contractual arrangement for the (old city hall) to be essentially in public hands,” Erickson told the committee, noting it could include selling or leasing the building.

Late Monday, the committee cast a tied vote on referring Allard’s motion for a full council vote. Couns. Kevin Klein (Charleswood-Tuxedo-Westwood) and Janice Lukes (Waverley West) supported that call, while Couns. Cindy Gilroy (Daniel McIntyre) and Vivian Santos (Point Douglas) rejected it.

A tie amounts to a loss under council rules, and leaves the original sale terms in place.

Gilroy, committee chairwoman, said she felt a need to honour the February vote that approved the proposal.

“I think we have a legal obligation to deal with Manitoba Possible, and I think it would be not right of the city to neglect its obligation,” she said.

On Tuesday, Allard said he doesn’t plan to raise his motion again, as he hopes the community can work out a solution directly with Manitoba Possible.

joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @joyanne_pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga
Reporter

Joyanne is city hall reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. A reporter since 2004, she began covering politics exclusively in 2012, writing on city hall and the Manitoba Legislature for the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in early 2020. Read more about Joyanne.

Every piece of reporting Joyanne produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES