Matsuyama returns at Nelson, 1st event since winning Masters

Advertisement

Advertise with us

McKINNEY, Texas (AP) — Hideki Matsuyama has the simple goal of getting his game back in shape at the AT&T Byron Nelson, his first tournament since becoming the first Japanese player to win the Masters.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/05/2021 (1929 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

McKINNEY, Texas (AP) — Hideki Matsuyama has the simple goal of getting his game back in shape at the AT&T Byron Nelson, his first tournament since becoming the first Japanese player to win the Masters.

Local favorite Jordan Spieth didn’t intend to be away just as long but ended up getting COVID-19, while four-time major winner Brooks Koepka is ready for another test of a balky right knee that had him hobbling at Augusta National.

For all three major champions, the return of the Nelson after a coronavirus cancellation in 2020 — and now the second relocation of the event since 2018 — comes with eyes on next week’s PGA Championship.

Matsuyama returned to Japan after winning the Masters and had to quarantine for two weeks before getting to celebrate the victory in his golf-loving home country.

“Not picking up a club very much over there, I didn’t get to practice very much at all,” Matsuyama said Tuesday through an interpreter. “And then coming back here, and I’m just, really one of my goals now is just to try to find my game again.”

When defending champion Sung Kang won his first PGA Tour event at the Nelson two years ago, it was the first time the Dallas-area tournament was played the week before the PGA, which Koepka won for his fourth victory in a span of nine majors.

Koepka played this year’s Masters less than a month after surgery to repair a dislocated right knee cap along with some ligament issues. The 31-year-old says he is still on the mend.

“Still be a while before I’m 100%,” said Koepka, who has finished in the top 16 three times in five previous Nelsons. “It’s dramatically better than it was at Augusta. I’m ahead of schedule.”

The TPC Craig Ranch course in McKinney, about 30 miles north of Dallas, is the 10th venue in the history of a tournament that dates to 1944.

In 2018, the Nelson moved from its longtime home at the Four Seasons in Irving to Trinity Forest in southern Dallas, the first time it had been played inside the city limits since 1982. But the setup wasn’t good for spectators, and the field suffered with players skeptical of the treeless links layout.

Craig Ranch is Kang’s home course, and just about that for 24-year-old Masters runner-up Will Zalatoris, who grew up not far from the course after moving from California.

Zalatoris attended every Nelson at the Four Seasons for a decade when he was set to make his playing debut on a sponsor’s exemption as a freshman at Wake Forest in 2015. He fell ill before the event and had an emergency appendectomy, forcing him to wait a year. He has since missed the cut twice, including the first Trinity Forest event.

“I still have the autographed hats that I had,” Zalatoris said. “I was one of the kids asking for autographs from guys walking off 18. So it’s kind of fun seeing it all come full circle.”

Spieth tested for positive for COVID-19 the second week after the Masters and had to skip the Valspar Championship two weeks ago.

Trinity Forest was Spieth’s home course, and the 27-year-old isn’t as familiar with the new venue as Yang and Zalatoris. The former Texas Longhorn’s most vivid memory is a bad one — falling short in his attempt to qualify for the PGA Tour nine years ago.

Eleven years after contending on Sunday as a high schooler at Four Seasons, Spieth has his game in much better shape than the last time he played his hometown event. He ended a nearly four-year victory drought at the Valero Texas Open in San Antonio the week before the Masters and tied for third at Augusta.

“I’m just kind of starting to get it back the last week or so and kind of get back on track,” said Spieth, who has never finished in the top 10 of his hometown event, despite his eye-opening debut as a 16-year-old. “I’m looking to kind of maybe knock a little rust off that I didn’t think would necessarily be here.”

Top-ranked Dustin Johnson withdrew, citing knee discomfort. The remaining top 10 players in the field are Jon Rahm (No. 3), former SMU player Bryson DeChambeau (5) and Koepka (10).

___

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 3:46 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Mark Carney says retaliatory tariffs will hit the U.S. starting next month after Canada walked away from what he called a "bad deal."

The U.S. introduced new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports on Saturday after trade talks failed.

"We got attacked," Carney told reporters on Parliament Hill Saturday when asked about the escalating trade war.

Carney suspended talks with the United States late Friday and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 3:46 PM CDT

Wooed by wood, Cedarella founder takes pride in handcrafted designs

David Sanderson 8 minute read Preview

Wooed by wood, Cedarella founder takes pride in handcrafted designs

David Sanderson 8 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Marina Bulan is the founder of Cedarella, a two-year-old venture that turns out eye-catching wood products such as jewelry, kitchen decor, children’s toys and, most recently, metre-high outdoor planters that double as home street-number indicators.

Ahead of immigrating to Winnipeg a decade ago from their native Russia, Bulan and her partner thought it would be prudent to conduct some research on their soon-to-be new home, a city they knew next to nothing about.

Imagine their surprise as they were viewing the 2007 surrealist film My Winnipeg, which comically blends historical facts about our burg with what Winnipeg-born writer/director Guy Maddin has termed “mystical hypothesizing.”

(For instance, there is no proof that, as reported in the award-winning flick, Winnipeg is the sleepwalking capital of the world, and that residents keep keys to their former abodes on their person in the event they turn up there during a bout of somnambulism.)

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Free Press literary editor picks noteworthy Canadian fiction and non-fiction titles to watch for this fall

Ben Sigurdson 8 minute read Preview

Free Press literary editor picks noteworthy Canadian fiction and non-fiction titles to watch for this fall

Ben Sigurdson 8 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

For many book lovers, summer means relaxing at the beach, in the backyard or at the cottage with fun, warm-weather page-turners — easy-going romance novels, gripping thrillers or even a dishy biography.

And some may long for the summer months to slow down, fall books season always offers up some of the most compelling reads for bookworms.

Here are 10 works of fiction and 10 non-fiction titles from Canadian authors slated to be published in the coming months — from Olympians to separatists, draft dodgers, plutocrats, prime ministers, bird-men and beyond, the characters in these forthcoming titles run the gamut.

FICTIONEliza Sunshine

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026