FDA warns doctors to stop using heart pump tied to deaths

Advertisement

Advertise with us

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. health regulators warned surgeons Thursday to stop implanting a heart pump made by Medtronic due to power failures recently tied to cases of stroke and more than a dozen deaths.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/06/2021 (1906 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. health regulators warned surgeons Thursday to stop implanting a heart pump made by Medtronic due to power failures recently tied to cases of stroke and more than a dozen deaths.

Medtronic said earlier in the day it would stop selling its Heartware assist device, which is intended to boost blood circulation in patients with heart failure.

Recent company data showed the device can unexpectedly stop working and sometimes fail to restart, the Food and Drug Administration said. The company said it hasn’t been able to pinpoint the root cause in every case.

FILE - In this Aug. 29, 2019 file photo, the Medronic logo is reflected in a lake at the company's offices in Fridley, Minn. On Thursday, June 3, 2021, U.S. health regulators warned surgeons to stop implanting an electrical heart pump made by Medtronic due to an electrical problem recently tied to cases of stroke and death. (AP Photo/Jim Mone, File)
FILE - In this Aug. 29, 2019 file photo, the Medronic logo is reflected in a lake at the company's offices in Fridley, Minn. On Thursday, June 3, 2021, U.S. health regulators warned surgeons to stop implanting an electrical heart pump made by Medtronic due to an electrical problem recently tied to cases of stroke and death. (AP Photo/Jim Mone, File)

Surgeons can use implants from other manufacturers, the FDA said in a memo to physicians.

About 4,000 people worldwide currently have the Medtronic device, roughly half of them in the U.S. For those patients, the agency said U.S. doctors should contact the company for the latest guidance on managing the device, which includes managing blood pressure.

The FDA said Medtronic halted sales after reviewing 100 reports of power failures with the device, which led to 14 patient deaths and 13 patients having it removed. The company previously issued recalls on some Heartware devices and components used when implanting it. In December, the company warned about power failures or delayed restarts with three lots.

The company said patients should not automatically have the device removed. Taking out recalled heart implants has to be carefully weighed against the potential risks of surgery. Medtronic said in a statement physicians should decide “on a case-by-case basis, considering the patients clinical condition and surgical risks.” The company said it is preparing a guide for managing patients “who may require support for many years.”

The Heartware device was used for heart failure patients awaiting transplant or as a permanent implant for those who weren’t healthy enough for that procedure. The device helps strengthen one of the heart’s lower chambers needed for adequate blood circulation.

Medtronic is one of the world’s largest medical device and equipment makers, selling thousands of implants used to treat heart, neurological and joint conditions.

___

The Associated Press Health & Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Zoo caring for orphaned polar bear cub

Tiago Resko 2 minute read Preview

Zoo caring for orphaned polar bear cub

Tiago Resko 2 minute read Yesterday at 1:57 PM CDT

The Assiniboine Park Zoo is caring for an orphaned polar bear cub that arrived from Churchill Thursday after conservation officers determined it was incapable of surviving on its own.

The officers found the bear’s dead mother.

Orphaned cubs have a high mortality rate, and a medical team was quickly sent to Churchill to support the cub’s initial needs, the zoo said in a media release.

The team arrived in Winnipeg late Thursday night.

Read
Yesterday at 1:57 PM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

FDA warns doctors to stop using heart pump tied to deaths

Matthew Perrone, The Associated Press 3 minute read Preview

FDA warns doctors to stop using heart pump tied to deaths

Matthew Perrone, The Associated Press 3 minute read Thursday, Jun. 3, 2021

A collection of breaking news briefs filed on June 8, 2021

• RCMP search for missing man in St. Clements area

• RWB new season starts Oct. 14

• 237 new COVID-19 cases and 2 deaths in Manitoba Tuesday

• Province taking COVID-19-rule-flouting church to court

• School support staff in Gimli negotiate new contract

• RCMP seek witness in June 2019 sexual assault at Train Whistle Park

• Premier to speak on COVID-19 vaccine measures today

Read
Thursday, Jun. 3, 2021

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
6:00 AM CDT