Copa America drama eclipses World Cup qualifiers

Advertisement

Advertise with us

SAO PAULO (AP) — South American World Cup qualifiers involving bitter rivals Colombia and Argentina, and Paraguay hosting Brazil, are being overshadowed by a possible player revolt against taking part in the upcoming Copa America.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 06/06/2021 (1898 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

SAO PAULO (AP) — South American World Cup qualifiers involving bitter rivals Colombia and Argentina, and Paraguay hosting Brazil, are being overshadowed by a possible player revolt against taking part in the upcoming Copa America.

The South American tournament is scheduled to be played June 13-July 10 in Brazil. Copa America was originally set to be co-hosted by Colombia and Argentina. Colombia was forced to withdraw following social unrest and Argentina reportedly declined to host the continental tournament because of a worsening of the pandemic.

It will now be hosted by Brazil, even though more than 470,000 Brazilians have died so far from the coronavirus and analysts expect another wave of the virus to hit Brazil by late June.

Argentina's Lionel Messi gestures during a qualifying soccer match against Chile for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 in Santiago del Estero, Argentina, Thursday, June 3, 2021. (Agustin Marcarian, Pool via AP)
Argentina's Lionel Messi gestures during a qualifying soccer match against Chile for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 in Santiago del Estero, Argentina, Thursday, June 3, 2021. (Agustin Marcarian, Pool via AP)

On the field, Brazil leads the round-robin tournament with 15 points, four ahead of second-place Argentina. The top four teams automatically secure a spot at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

PARAGUAY vs. BRAZIL

The post-match news conference of Brazil coach Tite in Asuncion is more anticipated than the game itself. After the Seleção’s 2-0 home win against Ecuador, Tite said he and his players would make it clear whether they will participate in the next Copa America in a decision that mixes views on pandemic control and internal politics.

“We want to speak after the match against Paraguay because we don’t want to lose our focus,” Brazil captain Casemiro said Friday.

Brazilian media reports say Tite could resign before the tournament begins due to disagreements with the country’s soccer confederation.

Supporters of Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro are calling for Tite to resign on social media. Bolsonaro has defied social distancing policies, claiming lockdown measures kill more than the virus.

The government confirmed Saturday night that Bolsonaro had assured executives of South American soccer body CONMEBOL that Brazil will host the event no matter what.

Brazilian soccer confederation president Rogério Caboclo was suspended on Sunday for 30 days after an accusation of sexual harassment against him emerged. He denies any wrongdoing. The suspension could be further extended as the committee investigates the accusation. Bolsonaro agreed Brazil could host the South American tournament after a request from Caboclo.

COLOMBIA vs. ARGENTINA

Argentina’s soccer federation says the team will be present at Copa America as a reflection of “its sporting spirit throughout history,” but did not make clear if the team’s top players, including Lionel Messi, will be at the tournament.

Colombia's Luis Diaz (14) celebrates scoring his side's third goal against Peru during a qualifying soccer match for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 at the National stadium in Lima, Peru, Thursday, June 3, 2021. (Paolo Aguilar/Pool via AP)
Colombia's Luis Diaz (14) celebrates scoring his side's third goal against Peru during a qualifying soccer match for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 at the National stadium in Lima, Peru, Thursday, June 3, 2021. (Paolo Aguilar/Pool via AP)

“All the staff of the Argentinian national team will work in unity to overcome this adversity that, unfortunately, affects all of us South Americans equally,” the federation said.

It tweeted that it had received authorization to use its base in Buenos Aires for the tournament in Brazil.

“We will follow the mandatory arrival at the Brazilian host city on the day before the (Copa America) match,” it said.

About 5,000 fans are expected to attend Colombia’s game at the Metropolitano stadium in Barranquilla despite still alarming coronavirus figures in the Andean nation.

Also on Tuesday, third-place Ecuador will face last-place Peru. Venezuela plays Uruguay, and Chile takes on Bolivia.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Impaired driving victim honoured

Morgan Modjeski 5 minute read Preview

Impaired driving victim honoured

Morgan Modjeski 5 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Ten years after he was killed in a collision involving an impaired driver in 2016, Robbie Anderson’s name has been added to MADD Canada’s Manitoba Memorial honouring those killed in drunk and drug-impaired-related crashes.

His older brother Chris Anderson, was one of two dozen people who gathered at the Glen Eden Funeral Home and Cemetery in West St. Paul Saturday to remember their loved ones, 86 victims whose names are etched into the granite monument near the heart of the graveyard.

“It’s heavy,” said Anderson when asked what it was like to be part of the ceremony and see his brother’s name added. “It’s been something I’ve been thinking about for a while.”

Grateful for MADD’s work and its efforts to honour Robbie, who was 27 when he died, Anderson said his brother, represented the “absolute best of us.”

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Updated: 12:26 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, a onetime child star who soared to fame in the TV shows “Heroes” and “Nashville” while enduring struggles with alcohol addiction and depression, has died. She was 36.

Police said Panettiere was found unresponsive in an apartment in Greenville, South Carolina, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. Lifesaving measures were performed but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

No cause of death has been determined and Panettiere's death remains under investigation. An autopsy found no signs of trauma and police said officers saw no signs of foul play.

The television and film performer, who would have turned 37 on Friday, had been open about her private battles and wrote at length about them in the memoir, “This Is Me,” which came out in May. She described lifelong scars from her early fame, and acknowledged being addicted to alcohol and enduring postpartum depression after the birth of her daughter, Kaya, with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Read
Updated: 12:26 PM CDT

New exhibition offers up 125 different ways to look at Canada

Jen Zoratti 6 minute read Preview

New exhibition offers up 125 different ways to look at Canada

Jen Zoratti 6 minute read 4:37 PM CDT

As a curator and head of collections and exhibitions at WAG-Qaumajuq, Riva Symko has been contemplating landscapes in art for a long time. But living in an ever-changing and ever-threatened one has altered her perspective on them.

Before coming to Winnipeg, Symko and her husband lived in Anchorage, Alaska. One day, seven or so years ago, they were out hiking when a sudden thunderstorm rolled through — “which is very unusual in Alaska,” she says — sparking a forest fire that ended up raging out of control. That summer, the whole city, save for the ocean side, was surrounded by fire and blanketed with heavy smoke. Climate change was viscerally visible.

“And since then, I really haven’t been able to look at a beautiful landscape the same,” she says.

With Terra Cognita/Incognita, a new exhibition opening at WAG-Qaumajuq Wednesday night, Symko wants to inspire and challenge viewers to look at landscapes differently, too.

Read
4:37 PM CDT

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: 2:46 PM CDT

After 12 hours of wind, waves and a painful shoulder, Jonathon Fenton has finished what he started, making it across Lake Winnipeg.

The 62-year-old two-time cancer survivor completed the roughly 26-kilometre swim Sunday, a year after shoulder problems forced him to stop 16 kilometres into his first attempt.

The swim was the second year of Fenton’s Jonny’s Big Swim fundraiser, which supports the Alberta Cancer Foundation, CancerCare Manitoba Foundation and Health Sciences Centre Foundation.

He raised roughly $48,000 this year, bringing the two-year total to about $90,000.

Read
Updated: 2:46 PM CDT

West Kildonan Industrial residents call for speed bumps after child hit by truck

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

West Kildonan Industrial residents call for speed bumps after child hit by truck

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Residents in the West Kildonan Industrial neighbourhood are calling on the city to install speed bumps in their area after a child was hit and dragged by a vehicle Thursday.

Katelyn Bemister lives near the area where the child — who was hospitalized as a result of the incident and has been upgraded to stable condition — was struck. She says people frequently speed in the area.

“They’re going really fast, and they’re not really paying attention at all to the pedestrians in the area,” says Bemister.

In video supplied to the Free Press by a resident, the child can be seen riding a bike down a sidewalk along the 500 block of North Point Boulevard.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Sea Bears finish on top

Joshua Frey-Sam 6 minute read Preview

Sea Bears finish on top

Joshua Frey-Sam 6 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Beauty. Bliss. Ecstasy.

That is how Aug. 15, 2026 will be remembered in Winnipeg.

What was once a pipe dream in the city’s hoops community became an epic reality on Saturday, when Simon Hildebrandt, who grew up playing on the courts of this very town, made good on a three-pointer from the wing to crown the Winnipeg Sea Bears Canadian Elite Basketball League champions.

A storybook ending to a 98-84 victory over the Brampton Honey Badgers sent a CEBL attendance record of 12,519 fans into pandemonium at Canada Life Centre and capped a Finals run for the ages — one that was fraught with injury, impromptu player exits and unprecedented circumstances.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026