Fortin’s lawyers give Crown documents in military officer’s sex assault case

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A lawyer for Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin revealed in court on Monday that the senior military officer's legal team has given the Crown documents they believe are pertinent to their client's sexual assault case.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/09/2021 (1797 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A lawyer for Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin revealed in court on Monday that the senior military officer’s legal team has given the Crown documents they believe are pertinent to their client’s sexual assault case.

Lawyer Philippe Morneau did not reveal the nature of those documents as he appeared in a courtroom in Gatineau, Que., on behalf of the former head of Canada’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution campaign, who was charged last month.

“Without going into too much detail, to avoid jeopardizing the case, we are of the opinion the documentation we’ve provided today, with other documents to come, are pertinent,” Morneau told the court in French.

Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin leaves the Gatineau Police Station after being processed, in Gatineau, Que., on Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang
Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin leaves the Gatineau Police Station after being processed, in Gatineau, Que., on Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

Crown prosecutor Diane Legault said she would need to consult the documents, which she had not yet received. The case is scheduled to return to court on Nov. 5.

Fortin, who was not on hand for Monday’s court proceedings, was abruptly removed from his position leading the federal government’s vaccine rollout effort in May and charged by Gatineau police on Aug. 18 with one count of sexual assault.

Court documents indicate the alleged assault occurred in early 1988.

Fortin has denied any wrongdoing and his criminal defence is being led by Montreal lawyer Isabel Schurman, who previously represented Just for Laughs founder Gilbert Rozon, who was found not guilty of rape and indecent assault last December.

The senior military officer has also asked a Federal Court judge to overturn the Trudeau government’s decision to remove him from his position at the Public Health Agency of Canada, where he had led Canada’s vaccine distribution campaign since November.

Fortin’s lawyers allege the decision to remove him from the vaccine post was unreasonable, lacked procedural fairness and involved Liberal government interference in the military chain of command.

The latter allegation is based on what they say is evidence suggesting Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Health Minister Patty Hajdu and Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan were involved to varying degrees in the decision.

They have been arguing that only acting defence chief Gen. Wayne Eyre had the power under the National Defence Act to remove their client from the vaccine campaign as he was still a serving member of the Canadian military while working at PHAC.

Government lawyers have argued the lawsuit is moot because the PHAC post no longer exists.

In their latest submission on Friday, the government’s lawyers also said Fortin failed to exhaust the remedies available to him through the military grievance process and, in any event, the decision to cancel his temporary posting “was reasonable and fair.”

Eyre considered all relevant factors, including the risk to workplace safety, Fortin’s strong desire to continue in his role and the historical nature of the allegation against him, the filing added.

The Federal Court is scheduled to hear arguments from both sides starting Sept. 28.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 20, 2021.

— With files from Lee Berthiaume in Ottawa and Sidhartha Banerjee in Montreal.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.

Seniors left hanging during Bell MTS outage: property manager

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Seniors left hanging during Bell MTS outage: property manager

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Updated: 9:52 AM CDT

Shelly Durham said when it comes to many of her elderly tenants of a downtown highrise apartment, their landline is their lifeline.

That lifeline was disconnected Tuesday after a copper cable that provides telephone service was cut Tuesday during construction work.

“It could be a matter of life and death,” said Durham, the building manager at Broadview Manor. “That’s the scary part.”

Manitoba Hydro spokesperson Peter Chura said a contractor working for the utility contacted the underground communications cable while installing a streetlight cable.

Read
Updated: 9:52 AM CDT

Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 11:40 AM CDT

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Mark Carney says retaliatory tariffs will hit the U.S. starting next month after Canada walked away from what he called a "bad deal."

The U.S. introduced new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports on Saturday after trade talks failed. 

Carney suspended talks with the United States late Friday and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Saturday, Carney said Canada there was a "gap" emerging between both sides as partners to competitors. 

Read
Updated: 11:40 AM CDT

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026