‘Beyond what’s humanly acceptable’: Testimony ends at Quebec long-term care inquest

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - As an inquest into 47 deaths at a Montreal long-term care home during the pandemic's first wave heard its final witness Tuesday, the coroner summed up the horror stories of dehydrated, unfed and soiled residents being left to die.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/10/2021 (1762 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MONTREAL – As an inquest into 47 deaths at a Montreal long-term care home during the pandemic’s first wave heard its final witness Tuesday, the coroner summed up the horror stories of dehydrated, unfed and soiled residents being left to die.

“What we’ve heard in the past weeks goes beyond what is humanly acceptable in a society like ours,” coroner Géhane Kamel said. “In effect, no human should end their lives in such deplorable conditions.”

Kamel, who is examining the failings at Résidence Herron as part of a broad investigation of 53 deaths at six long-term care homes and one seniors residence in the province, has concluded the factual portion of her inquiry. She will next hear recommendations before filing a final report.

A Quebec coroner reminded an inquest into deaths at a privately-owned Montreal long-term care home that both the regional health authority and the care home's management were responsible for the care of vulnerable patients. Flowers are shown outside Maison Herron, a long term care home in the Montreal suburb of Dorval on April 12, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
A Quebec coroner reminded an inquest into deaths at a privately-owned Montreal long-term care home that both the regional health authority and the care home's management were responsible for the care of vulnerable patients. Flowers are shown outside Maison Herron, a long term care home in the Montreal suburb of Dorval on April 12, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

Lynne McVey, head of the regional health board that took control of Herron on March 30 as COVID-19 cases mounted, testified that authorities did what they could to save lives.

Appearing before the inquest for a second time, McVey was questioned Tuesday about why it took so long to realize how many people had died at the private facility.

She said the information was only discovered on April 10 after additional verifications. The inquiry has heard that no one appeared to be tabulating deaths at the suburban Montreal facility.

McVey told the inquiry she was scared when she learned that at that point there had been 31 deaths, prompting Kamel to interject that there should have been an accounting earlier.

“If we had the choice between saving lives and registering deaths, I don’t think you can fault nurses on the ground for going to a bedside rather than registering deaths,” McVey said.

She was also questioned about the timing of a 911 call to police, coinciding with a Montreal Gazette report that appeared outlining horrifying conditions at the residence. One day later, provincial officials announced the 31 deaths.

Kamel also noted the 911 call came after health authority staff had been on site for two weeks.

McVey said perhaps she should have called police earlier, but she acted after several pieces of information came to light, including the 31 deaths and a report about a disorganized pharmacy counter at the residence.

“Calling the police isn’t a crime, and it’s a certainly a situation we’d never gone through in our careers,” McVey said. “We found 139 patients with zero staff, it was unthinkable.”

McVey also defended a letter sent to Herron management that informed them the regional health authority was assuming management on March 30. When Kamel said the letter left little room for collaboration, McVey described the situation as “desperate times (that) called for extreme measures.”

She noted the situation at Herron was different than other residences where the health authority had assisted and owners handed over staff lists and patient files within an hour.

Later, asked by the lawyer representing some deceased Herron residents whether she took responsibility, McVey put the blame on the virus. “COVID-19 is the most devious virus I’ve had to deal with in my clinical career,” she told the inquiry. “The virus has a large responsibility in these deaths.”

She later told families she was sorry for the deaths, that the objective had been to provide care to residents.

“We went there to help, and we would have really wanted to save everybody,” she said. “There are 18 witnessesthat came through here and many of them are still very traumatized by not being able to save the lives that we wanted to save during the pandemic.”

Earlier Tuesday, Kamel said she was tired of finger-pointing between health authority managers and Herron officials, noting both sides were accountable and responsible for the vulnerable patients under their care.

The health authority’s deputy director also took the stand for the first time during the inquest.

Najia Hachimi-Idrissi testified that the health authority was unable force three doctors assigned to Herron, who were seeing patients through telemedicine as COVID-19 cases mounted, to treat patients on site.

She also maintained the health authority could not oblige unionized employees to report for work at Herron, which is why non-unionized managers were the first to arrive at the understaffed facility to help.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 26, 2021.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Moon Alert: Until 11 p.m. PDT tonight there are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions today. The Moon is in Capricorn.

Aries (March 21-April 19)

Steer clear of confrontation with authority figures this morning. Instead, get yourself ready for a productive four weeks ahead because you intend to work and get better organized. Oh yeah – you’re going to pull your act together so you can take it on the road.

Taurus (April 20-May 20)

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Quebec coroner hears final witness in LTC inquest

Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Preview

Quebec coroner hears final witness in LTC inquest

Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2021

Keesha Chung, whose debut film “grey area” is screening virtually at the CineFAM festival until Oct. 30, says representation is just as important behind the camera as in front of it if we want accurate and diverse storytelling.

Read
Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2021

The good, bad and record setting performance in Bombers loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Preview

The good, bad and record setting performance in Bombers loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Yesterday at 6:50 PM CDT

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ 22-19 defeat at the hands of the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium in Alberta on Friday was fitting for all the wrong reasons.

The Bombers looked reinvigorated as they jumped out to a 16-point lead in the first half. Then some bad habits reared their ugly head, as the Elks roared back with 19 straight points before kicker Vincent Blanchard walked it off with a 40-yard field goal.

A night that began with so much promise left many fans to wonder what the ceiling actually is for this team in 2026.

On offence, Zach Collaros completed 19 of 30 passes for 219 yards, one touchdown and an interception; Brady Oliveira amassed 118 yards on 16 carries and added a pair of catches for 11 yards; and Nic Demski secured five grabs for 80 yards.

Read
Yesterday at 6:50 PM CDT

Unresolved issues leave little space for you

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My boyfriend — who is newly divorced — has two great children from his marriage. Although he and I have been together since Christmas, it’s obvious he loves his kids much more than he loves me! For instance, he lavishes affection on the kids when they’re over and completely leaves me out. I’m just the cook and dish-washer for the night.

When I brought this up recently, he said, “My girlfriends don’t last, because if I’m openly affectionate with them, the kids tell their mother we’re making out in front of them! They want all my affection and attention when I’m with them.” Then he added, “Stick around, and the kids will probably loosen up.”

Stick around? The explanation and his “advice” totally turned me off. What do you think?

— Not Second-Best to Anyone, St. Vital

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Canada is preparing to hit the U.S. with dollar-for-dollar tariffs in response to new 50 per cent duties on $28 billion worth of Canadian products that took effect when talks between the two nations collapsed as negotiations neared the finish line. 

Prime Minister Mark Carney was quiet publicly during the final days of negotiations, but now has now explained his rationale for telling the Canadian negotiating team, led by Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette, to leave the table.

Restrictions on further trade deals

"The U.S. Introduced at the last hours, in the last hours, efforts to restrict our ability to have other trade deals. You heard me say a moment ago, what we've accomplished in the past year, 20 new deals, economic and security partnerships, the prospect of doubling our market access because we believe in free trade. We're the partner of choice in many respects for countries around the world and the Americans wanted to restrict that. They had language that what they wanted to restrict that, unacceptable," Carney said during a press conference on Parliament Hill.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT