B.C. braces for storms as it is in ‘uncharted territory’: public safety minister

Advertisement

Advertise with us

British Columbia remains in "uncharted territory" with a chain of storms set to sweep over areas of the province that are already struggling to recover from devastating flooding, Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said Wednesday.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/11/2021 (1733 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

British Columbia remains in “uncharted territory” with a chain of storms set to sweep over areas of the province that are already struggling to recover from devastating flooding, Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said Wednesday.

Wind and rainfall warnings blanketed most of the B.C. coast and they come after about a dozen so-called atmospheric rivers have saturated land in the province since September.

Farnworth said even routine rainfall may cause already swollen rivers to rise to dangerous heights and he urged residents to prepare for evacuations and watch for updates.

Mike Farnworth, minister of public safety and solicitor general, talks during a news conference at legislature in Victoria, Monday, Oct. 28, 2019. He says more than 6,500 people have been registered as evacuees and those whose homes were flooded last week are eligible for a $2,000 grant through the Canadian Red Cross and the province. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Mike Farnworth, minister of public safety and solicitor general, talks during a news conference at legislature in Victoria, Monday, Oct. 28, 2019. He says more than 6,500 people have been registered as evacuees and those whose homes were flooded last week are eligible for a $2,000 grant through the Canadian Red Cross and the province. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito

“These storms are coming at a time when we’re already grappling with some of the must destructive weather we’ve ever seen,” Farnworth said.

“Although we are up to the challenge, we are working through a monumental task.”

The government is making headway on recovery since last week’s floods, he added, with supply chains stabilizing, gas shortages starting to ease and some evacuees allowed to return to their homes.

The major arterial supply route of Highway 1 through the Fraser Valley is on track to reopen Thursday, while Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. announced the first trains arrived in Vancouver from Kamloops on Wednesday carrying grain and fuel.

However, the government also acknowledged that it has heard concerns from Indigenous communities about a lack of communication in advance of the last flooding, systemic racism in the emergency response system and complicated procedures for accessing support.

“I heard we have more work to do,” Indigenous Relations Minister Murray Rankin said regarding a call with First Nations leaders Tuesday.

Transportation Minister Rob Fleming said the government is prepared to close some roads as a precaution as modellers try to predict where and when flooding and mudslides might occur.

The wind and rainfall warnings come as the number of people confirmed killed or missing in the floods rose to six, with the RCMP saying officers are investigating a report of a missing woman who was unable to leave a home on Highway 8 before it was washed away last week. Four bodies have been recovered from a mudslide along Highway 99 near Lillooet and one man is still missing.

The centre that monitors the province’s waterways said several atmospheric rivers will drench B.C., dropping up to 70 millimetres of rain over the Fraser Valley, including Abbotsford, by Thursday and even more over Vancouver’s North Shore mountains.

The statement from the River Forecast Centre said another storm will arrive Saturday and “additional storms are expected early next week,” although the amount and severity of rainfall is still being determined.

The centre issued high streamflow advisories for waterways along the entire length of B.C.’s coast and was maintaining a flood warning for the Sumas River and Sumas Prairie around Abbotsford. It said rivers were expected to rise on Thursday with the potentially highest flows expected around the Sunshine Coast, Howe Sound and North Shore corridor.

Rivers in the Fraser Valley could rise by amounts similar to typical fall storms but could be “more problematic due to flood response and recovery efforts and damaged infrastructure in the region,” it said.

BC Hydro warned of potential power outages and said in a statement that teams were releasing water from some reservoirs, which were already full, in anticipation of more rainfall.

More than 258,000 people lost power during last week’s storms.

Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. said the first trains arrived in Vancouver from Kamloops on Wednesday after operations on the line resumed Tuesday.

Thirty locations across CP’s Thompson and Cascade subdivisions were damaged, 20 of them significantly. Hundreds of staff and contractors have been working “day and night” to restore the rail line, the company said in a statement.

“This route is CP’s busiest corridor handling a wide range of products and commodities. It links the Port of Vancouver and B.C. to the rest of Canada and North America,” the statement says.

Farnworth said Tuesday that more than 6,500 people had registered as evacuees and those whose homes were flooded last week are eligible for a $2,000 grant through the Canadian Red Cross and the province.

On Wednesday, he added a new contact centre line has also been established to provide emergency support and information about financial aid, road conditions and more.

Local communities also braced for the storms, with communities like View Royal setting up self-serve sandbag stations at a local park.

In Abbotsford, where floods destroyed agricultural land and killed livestock, the mayor said officials are doing everything they can to prepare.

Repairs to the main dike breach were nearly 90 per cent complete, Mayor Henry Braun said Wednesday, and nearly a metre of extra height was on track to be added before the first storm hits Thursday.

The city issued a do not use water advisory for all of Sumas Prairie due to inaccessible water main breaches and potentially toxic material in the flood waters.

While the dike repairs were essential in sealing off the flow of water, work is still underway to pump the remaining water out and complete safety assessments before allowing full access to the area, Braun said.

The focus at the moment is on the oncoming storms, he added.

“We are as ready as we can be,” Braun said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 24, 2021.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

From Lars-Erik Sjoberg to Thomas Steen to Viggo Bjorck, there’s no shortage of Swedish athletes who have quickly become fan favourites here in Winnipeg.

Daniel Svard is hoping to add his name to the growing list.

Although he wields a golf club and not a hockey stick, the 23-year-old from Stockholm is opening plenty of eyes this week at Elmhurst. He carries a two-shot lead into Sunday’s final round of the Manitoba Open, looking to close out his first professional victory in his just his fourth career tournament.

Svard fired a six-under 66 on Saturday to move to 14-under through 54 holes of the PGA Tour Americas event.

Read
Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Preview

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

The Conservative Party of Canada has a troll problem. And it’s coming from inside the tent.

Once, trolls existed only in imagination. They were figures of mythical proportion, big and small. They lived solitary lives under bridges, in caves, or forests. They were considered dim-witted and mean. Best avoided.

Today, they are real, unavoidable, and ubiquitous on social media. They are anything but solitary. There are tribes of them out there and tribal is how they think and post. As for dim-witted and mean, others can opine but they are uniformly mean and dismissive.

Mean to anyone who disagrees with their views. Dismissive of any view but their own. They distribute questionable, at best, facts and opinions grounded in hostility towards anything or anyone deemed disagreeable or heretical to their world view.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

Quick quotes: Here’s what people are saying about the Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 10 minute read Preview

Quick quotes: Here’s what people are saying about the Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 10 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:04 PM CDT

OTTAWA - The United States imposed 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars worth of Canadian exports Saturday, after the two countries failed to reach a new trade deal before an extended deadline imposed by President Donald Trump earlier in the week.

In response, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Canada will retaliate with matching dollar-for-dollar tariffs. Carney also suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Here's what people are saying in response: 

——— 

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:04 PM CDT

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Moon Alert: Until 11 p.m. PDT tonight there are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions today. The Moon is in Capricorn.

Aries (March 21-April 19)

Steer clear of confrontation with authority figures this morning. Instead, get yourself ready for a productive four weeks ahead because you intend to work and get better organized. Oh yeah – you’re going to pull your act together so you can take it on the road.

Taurus (April 20-May 20)

Read
2:00 AM CDT