‘Justice has prevailed’: Métis sign $120-M deal with Hydro

Manitoba Hydro has signed a $120-million agreement with the Manitoba Métis Federation to lock in support for existing and future developments, reviving a tentative agreement cancelled five years ago and described as “hush money” by former premier Brian Pallister.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/08/2023 (1110 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Manitoba Hydro has signed a $120-million agreement with the Manitoba Métis Federation to lock in support for existing and future developments, reviving a tentative agreement cancelled five years ago and described as “hush money” by former premier Brian Pallister.

The deal — formally described as a “revitalization agreement” — spans 50 years and addresses adverse effects of the Crown corporation’s existing hydroelectric developments and operations on the rights of the Red River Métis, under Section 35 of the Constitution Act.

MMF and Manitoba Hydro had been quietly negotiating the deal for about a year before finally inking the agreement on Thursday, federation president David Chartrand said.

“It’s a good day for Manitoba. It’s a good day for the Métis, and it’s a good day for everyone,” Chartrand said in an interview Thursday.

MMF and Manitoba Hydro had been quietly negotiating the deal for about a year before finally inking the agreement on Thursday, federation president David Chartrand said. (Winnipeg Free Press files)

MMF and Manitoba Hydro had been quietly negotiating the deal for about a year before finally inking the agreement on Thursday, federation president David Chartrand said. (Winnipeg Free Press files)

It marks the end to a lengthy political and legal saga in which Manitoba Hydro’s board of directors resigned en masse after Pallister directed the public utility to cancel a tentative $67.5-million, 50-year compensation package in March 2018.

At the time, the former premier called the deal “hush money” to gain support for a transmission line to Minnesota, and described the Métis federation as a special interest group.

The arrangement would have provided the MMF with annual payments of $1.5 million a year for 20 years and a $37.5-million lump sum payment, to be placed in a trust fund, among other benefits.

In exchange, the MMF would withdraw opposition to the transmission line and agree to support Hydro applications for the duration of the agreement.

“It’s a good day for Manitoba. It’s a good day for the Métis, and it’s a good day for everyone.”–David Chartrand

Sandy Riley, who was board chair of Manitoba Hydro at the time, described the agreement as a good deal for Manitoba. Currently, Riley is Premier Heather Stefanson’s energy adviser.

In response to Pallister’s dumping of the deal, the MMF launched a legal battle that argued the drafted deal was the best way to avoid going to court to define Métis land rights in the Red River Valley, especially pertaining to future projects around Winnipeg.

A Court of Queen’s Bench ruling found the cabinet directive cancelling the deal was lawful, which the Court of Appeal upheld. In March 2022, the Supreme Court of Canada denied the MMF’s application to hear its appeal on the matter.

The new agreement between MMF and Hydro also establishes processes for working together on a range of issues related to the utility’s developments and operations, and includes commitments to establish a long-term revitalization fund, and a defined forum for ongoing dialogue.

Chartrand complimented Stefanson for “clearing the runway” for Manitoba Hydro to conclude the agreement after repeated, high-profile conflicts with her predecessor.

“We feel justice has prevailed,” Chartrand said.

“We feel justice has prevailed.”–David Chartrand

Details of the new agreement were not made public Thursday, but Chartrand said it addresses many issues — including past disputes over the Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Line — and ensures the MMF will support Manitoba Hydro projects “on the premise that there’s no adverse effects to our people.”

“If it does, then we’ll come back to the table and we discuss our positions, but it doesn’t change the agreement,” he said. “Hydro was definitely open to being fair and equitable.”

In a release, Manitoba Hydro president Jay Grewal called the agreement an “important milestone.”

“While efforts to strengthen our relationships have been ongoing for some time, the signing of the “revitalization agreement” formally acknowledges our commitment to address the legacy of our historic projects with the Red River Métis,” Grewal said. “It’s a vital step forward in our long-term relationship with the MMF.”

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
                                In a release, Manitoba Hydro president Jay Grewal called the agreement an “important milestone.”

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

In a release, Manitoba Hydro president Jay Grewal called the agreement an “important milestone.”

Deputy Premier Cliff Cullen said he was glad to hear the two parties came to an agreement. The Spruce Woods MLA was Crown services minister in March 2018, when the initial tentative agreement was axed.

“We will always support economic reconciliation,” said Cullen, the minister responsible for Manitoba Hydro.

Manitoba Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont said the agreement appears to be a positive development for the MMF, but questioned whether it is substantially different from the tentative agreement tossed out by the Pallister administration.

“If so, then this is five years lost for Métis Manitobans — and First Nation communities across Manitoba are still waiting after decades of the near-total destruction of their communities and means of self-supporting by Hydro,” Lamont said.

“The Manitoba government allowed Hydro to operate on an interim licence for 50 years, and South Indian Lake, Cross Lake, Sagkeeng and many others are still waiting. They shouldn’t be.”

The Manitoba NDP was not immediately available to comment Thursday.

Chartrand said the MMF will purchase a sports camp to support the development of young Métis athletes as the first expense to be funded via the agreement.

“It will change people’s lives,” he said.

danielle.dasilva@freepress.mb.ca

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Manitoba family finalist for cattle producers environmental award

Aaron Epp 4 minute read Preview

Manitoba family finalist for cattle producers environmental award

Aaron Epp 4 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

A family in western Manitoba is one of seven finalists for a national environmental award honouring beef cattle producers.

Connor and Kyla English, alongside Connor’s parents, Brian and Leanne English, are nominated for the Canadian Cattle Association’s Environmental Stewardship Award. The 30-year-old award is presented to beef farmers and ranchers who explore innovative ways to protect, preserve and enhance their operations and the environment simultaneously.

This year’s recipient will be announced on Wednesday during a banquet at the Canadian Beef Industry Conference in Winnipeg.

The English family’s roots near Bradwardine — about 265 kilometres west of Winnipeg — date back to 1898. Today, Connor, Kyla, Brian and Leanne manage a herd of about 320 breeding cows on nearly 445 hectares (1,100 acres) of owned and rented pasture and forage land.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Indigenous peoples are deeply invested in Canada

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Indigenous peoples are deeply invested in Canada

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Elections Canada released a report this week that stated that, in the 2025 federal election, approximately 41 per cent of eligible First Nations, Inuit and Métis voters cast a ballot and contributed significantly to the federal Liberals and Prime Minister Mark Carney making a political comeback.

For anyone curious about how Manitoba fared, the numbers in this province were slightly lower — but still very strong, with 34 per cent participation.

This is a far cry from the highest rate of Indigenous participation in a federal election — that would be the 60 per cent who cast a ballot in 2015, when Justin Trudeau’s Liberals defeated Stephen Harper’s Conservatives — but it’s still higher than the abysmal numbers seen in decades previous.

First Nations voters have only been allowed the legal right to cast a ballot in Canadian elections since 1960, but many in the past — perhaps rightly — felt a sense of complicity in the country’s colonization or, worse, that voting didn’t make a difference.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Volunteer helps keep Nellie McClung’s legacy alive

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Volunteer helps keep Nellie McClung’s legacy alive

Tiago Resko 4 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Growing up with ties to the community of Manitou, Gillian Potvin has found great inspiration in the traces of Nellie McClung’s legacy.

The 39-year-old has spent nearly a decade channelling that inspiration back into the community by being a key part of the Nellie McClung Museum of Canada’s marketing and events planning since it opened at 55 Main St., in the southern Manitoba town in 2017.

Utilizing her skills in marketing and digital design for the museum is her way of thanking the woman who fought for the rights she has today and continuing her legacy.

“She helped women to be identified as persons and that’s huge,” she said of the woman born in 1873 and considered one of Canada’s most prominent suffragists. “It’s easy to take for granted some of these rights we now have as women, but there would have been a big fight back in the day to change the things that have always been.”

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Opera group hits pub to stage shows for sophisticated palates

Conrad Sweatman 3 minute read Preview

Opera group hits pub to stage shows for sophisticated palates

Conrad Sweatman 3 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Opera’s famous drinking songs — La Traviata’s Brindisi, Don Giovanni’s Fin ch’han dal vino, Carmen’s Votre Toast — tend to flow with references to women and wine, not beer.

But that hasn’t stopped Winnipeggers from sipping 1919s or Generics at local bar and brewery Little Brown Jug over the past few years to the strains of Verdi, Puccini and Mozart.

Currently in its eighth season, Opera by the Pint has its next LBJ event Wednesday at 7 p.m. (The artists also perform at the Public Brewhouse and Gallery in Steinbach at 7 p.m. on Thursday.)

This week’s program focuses on musical hits, while also featuring traditional Filipino ballads and Mexican art songs.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

RCMP searching for missing 34-year-old woman

1 minute read Updated: 8:07 AM CDT

Police are asking for the public’s help locating a 34-year-old woman last heard from almost a week ago.

Tamara Stevens, who also goes by Tammy, was last heard from on Sunday last weekend and was reported missing Tuesday morning, said a Thompson RCMP news release Saturday.

RCMP and family are worried for her well-being.

Stevens is believed to be in Thompson and is described as 5'7, with a slender build and long red hair, said RCMP. She also has a piercing on her lip and was last seen wearing black T-Shirt featuring the Twilight character Jacob, pants and work boots.

Impaired driving victim honoured

Morgan Modjeski 5 minute read Preview

Impaired driving victim honoured

Morgan Modjeski 5 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Ten years after he was killed in a collision involving an impaired driver in 2016, Robbie Anderson’s name has been added to MADD Canada’s Manitoba Memorial honouring those killed in drunk and drug-impaired-related crashes.

His older brother Chris Anderson, was one of two dozen people who gathered at the Glen Eden Funeral Home and Cemetery in West St. Paul Saturday to remember their loved ones, 86 victims whose names are etched into the granite monument near the heart of the graveyard.

“It’s heavy,” said Anderson when asked what it was like to be part of the ceremony and see his brother’s name added. “It’s been something I’ve been thinking about for a while.”

Grateful for MADD’s work and its efforts to honour Robbie, who was 27 when he died, Anderson said his brother, represented the “absolute best of us.”

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026