Wardrobe of possibilities

Adaptation of children’s classic adds new twists and turns

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Toronto’s Bad Hats Theatre has a good thing going in Winnipeg.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/12/2023 (994 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Toronto’s Bad Hats Theatre has a good thing going in Winnipeg.

Over the last five years, the innovative, something-from-nothing Toronto musical theatre company has developed a collaborative relationship with the Manitoba Theatre for Young People that a growing arts organization can usually only dream of.

In 2019, Bad Hats brought its award-winning version of J.M. Barrie’s Peter Pan to the theatre at The Forks. Last year, the company was back at it with a wild and moving take on Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland, which went on to win six Dora Mavor Moore Awards after its run at Toronto’s Soulpepper Theatre.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS 
                                C.S. Lewis’s Narnia books have been updated by Toronto’s Bad Hats Theatre for MTYP’s stage.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

C.S. Lewis’s Narnia books have been updated by Toronto’s Bad Hats Theatre for MTYP’s stage.

Now, artistic director Fiona Sauder and her band of misfits are back to launch another world première of a Bad Hats adaptation, based on C.S. Lewis’s Narnia series, yet another classic piece of children’s literature ripe for a modern update with extra twists and turns.

Why toy with something that’s working so well?

After the success of Alice, MTYP artistic director Pablo Felices-Luna couldn’t think of a single reason, so he commissioned Sauder’s company to take on Lewis’s magical world, first brought to light in 1950 with the publication of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Narnia runs until Dec. 23 and is recommended for children in Grade 1 and up.

“(Pablo) said, ‘Whatever you want to do, let’s make it happen,’” explains Sauder, 31, who co-founded Bad Hats with Nicola Atkinson in 2015 after graduating from Toronto’s George Brown Theatre School.

“Whatever you want to do, let’s make it happen,” could easily be the company’s motto. Sauder, who carries herself with an admirably punky air, says Bad Hats always looks to create “from the spirit of the child,” through “high-octane ensemble work.”

They play make-believe with whatever is within reach.

Look at a Bad Hats set and you won’t see expensive gear or gadgets.

“We’re not looking to have major production elements like a revolving stage or hydraulic risers that pop in and out,” says Sauder, who’s sitting in the Bad Hats director’s chair for the first time on Narnia.

“The way a child can pick up a stick and say, ‘This is a wand,’ and believe it’s true. We have adults who do that onstage, which allows the audience to fill in the missing pieces. Our budget is often the audience’s imagination.”

While that’s undoubtedly true, Bad Hats fortunes have been on the rise in recent years, especially since the company first came to MTYP in 2019 with Peter Pan. Soulpepper, one of the country’s leading theatre companies, took note of the production, which ran seven times in five years.

That was the beginning of yet another fruitful collaborative relationship, which continues with Soulpepper’s upcoming remount of Alice, featuring Winnipeg’s Colleen Furlan, this month.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Shelayna Christante stars as Lucy in MTYP’s production of Narnia by Bad Hats Theatre.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Shelayna Christante stars as Lucy in MTYP’s production of Narnia by Bad Hats Theatre.

“What was a tandem bicycle up until that moment got rocket ships strapped to the side, and off we went,” says Sauder. “The company changed overnight and we’ve been sprinting and inventing as we go ever since.”

On Tuesday afternoon during a media call for Narnia, Sauder, wearing an Adidas tracksuit, was dressed for a marathon as her cast — including Winnipeg’s Duncan Cox, Elena Howard-Scott, Melanie Whyte, Chase Winnicky, Ben Ridd and Kara Joseph — sang, strummed and danced its way through a wintry number.

Sauder was right to use the term “high-octane ensemble work.” The actors in Narnia don’t just say their lines and hit their marks; they play guitar, violin, piano and electric bass as they make their way into the wardrobe.

To Sauder, Narnia marks the third entry into a Bad Hats-MTYP trilogy, each dealing with time and age.

Peter Pan was about the moment we realize we have to grow up. Alice was about what happens when we peek into adulthood. And Narnia is about the changing seasons of our lives.”

After Narnia premières this week, Sauder won’t have much time to stick around and rest: she’s playing multiple roles in the Soulpepper production of Alice.

“I’ll open this show and the next day jump on a plane to Toronto,” she says.

Onto the next story.

ben.waldman@winnipegfreepress.com

Ben Waldman

Ben Waldman
Reporter

Ben Waldman is a National Newspaper Award-nominated reporter on the Arts & Life desk at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg, Ben completed three internships with the Free Press while earning his degree at Ryerson University’s (now Toronto Metropolitan University’s) School of Journalism before joining the newsroom full-time in 2019. Read more about Ben.

Every piece of reporting Ben produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Friday, December 1, 2023 1:25 PM CST: Adds link, corrects date to Dec. 23

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Adding emergency doctors, nurses and support staff is great, but it won’t break the wait-time logjam

Dan Lett 5 minute read Preview

Adding emergency doctors, nurses and support staff is great, but it won’t break the wait-time logjam

Dan Lett 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 9:27 AM CDT

When Premier Wab Kinew recently announced his government had recruited more than 4,700 net new health-care professionals and support workers, the proclamation was met with quite a few rolling eyes.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 9:27 AM CDT

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Preview

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:48 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall is trying not to get ahead of himself. But you’ll forgive the young Manitoba golfer for pondering the “what if” as he stands on the cusp of a career milestone.

Nachtigall, 25, sits alone on top of the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur championship through 54 holes. He is 17-under par and carries a two-shot lead into Friday’s final round at the Brantford Golf & Country Club in Ontario.

“It would be incredible, but there is a lot of golf left to go so I won’t be thinking too much about that until hopefully the final putt drops,” Nachtigall told reporters on scene Thursday.

The Brandon product is aiming to become the first Manitoban to win the national title since Todd Fanning did so in 2017, winning a playoff over Ontario’s Garrett Rank.

Read
Yesterday at 5:48 PM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A June 9 disciplinary decision found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026