Nitty Gritty Dirt Band final act at Countryfest

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The band that helped put Dauphin’s Countryfest on the map will bid a fond farewell to the jamboree June 30.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 02/04/2024 (868 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The band that helped put Dauphin’s Countryfest on the map will bid a fond farewell to the jamboree June 30.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, which headlined the inaugural Countryfest in 1990, will be the windup act at the 2024 event, which runs June 27-30. The group said earlier this year that its 2024 tour will be its last.

Texas neo-traditionalist Mark Chesnutt, Nashville artist Jo Dee Messina and Winnipeg’s Don Amero are also on the bill for the Sunday night.

SUPPLIED
The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
SUPPLIED The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

The mainstage shows begin Friday, June 28, with country crooner Clint Black headlining a lineup that includes Alberta singer Carolyn Dawn Johnson, the Great Canadian Road Trip — which brings together Portage la Prairie duo Doc Walker, Michelle Wright and Jason McCoy — and two other Manitoba acts, the C-Weed Band and Quinton Blair.

Alabama, the group that made the song Mountain Music a country anthem, take the stage at the Selo Ukraina amphitheatre June 29 for the first time since 1999.

The evening will have a retro vibe thanks to the Frontmen, a combo that includes ’90s hitmakers Larry Stewart of Restless Heart, Richie McDonald of Lonestar and Tim Rushlow of Little Texas. The 90s Country Ladies, which feature Patricia Conroy, Lisa Brokop and Beverley Mahood, are also on the bill, along with Nashville’s Diamond Rio and Winnipeg rockers Harlequin.

Tickets and weekend passes are on sale at countryfest.ca, which also has a schedule for its two hilltop stages.

— Staff

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

School trustees are calling on the province to bolster public education around e-bike and e-scooter safety ahead of back-to-school season.

The Manitoba School Boards Association brought members’ concerns about a growing number of students using electronic devices to get to and from classes to the education minister’s office this month.

“There’s a concerning lack of safety knowledge on the part of Manitoba youth,” executive director Alan Campbell said.

Campbell, a long-time trustee in the Interlake School Division, resigned from elected office this summer to run the association that mobilizes school boards and provides them with labour relations support.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read 12:50 PM CDT

A Manitoba pharmacist has been hit with $100,000 in fines and costs after a disciplinary panel found he dispensed a “staggering” amount of drugs that could not be accounted for.

Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was fined the maximum $25,000 by the College of Pharmacists of Manitoba and ordered to pay another $75,000 toward the cost of the investigation and disciplinary proceedings.

A 28-page disciplinary decision, dated June 9, found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Pauch was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

The college found Pauch failed to properly document the drugs he dispensed and did not maintain required records for controlled substances returned to the pharmacy or received from suppliers.

Read
12:50 PM CDT

Steinbach homeowners sue city over flooding

Erik Pindera 3 minute read Preview

Steinbach homeowners sue city over flooding

Erik Pindera 3 minute read 4:58 PM CDT

Several Steinbach residents have filed a lawsuit against the southeastern Manitoba city over flooding in their homes they argue was the result of the government’s poor design and maintenance of the sewage system.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of the homeowners — nine couples and four individuals — in the Court of King’s Bench last week.

The court papers claim the amount of rainfall that entered Steinbach’s sewers in the northeast part of the city, where the homeowners reside, was “significantly increased” during two heavy rainfalls in 2024 and 2025 as a result of the city’s alleged negligence or nuisance.

The lawsuit alleges a slew of issues with the city’s sewer system contributed to sewage backups and flooding of the plaintiffs’ homes during the heavy rains.

Read
4:58 PM CDT

Daycare, family centre addition will turn care home into intergenerational community hub

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

Daycare, family centre addition will turn care home into intergenerational community hub

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 3:29 PM CDT

Seven-year-olds and 70-somethings will socialize daily when a 152-spot daycare opens inside of a seniors’ residence in Winnipeg in a couple of years.

Construction on a new wing of the Saul and Claribel Simkin Centre is scheduled to begin this fall, it was announced Monday.

The project won’t be complete for at least 22 months, but it’s already being touted as a made-in-Manitoba model for intergenerational community hubs across the country.

“It’s a real good idea to mix the younger generation with the older generation,” said Allan Rutherford, a 79-year-old resident of the 200-bed personal care home in Linden Ridge.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 3:29 PM CDT

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read Yesterday at 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.