Battery module production begins at NextStar Energy plant in Windsor

Advertisement

Advertise with us

WINDSOR, Ont. - NextStar Energy says it has begun production on battery modules at a southwestern Ontario plant.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/10/2024 (670 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

WINDSOR, Ont. – NextStar Energy says it has begun production on battery modules at a southwestern Ontario plant.

The modules made by the joint venture pairing carmaker Stellantis with LG Energy Solution are grouped in battery packs which ultimately power electric vehicles.

The start of their production marks a significant milestone for the Windsor, Ont., manufacturing facility. NextStar says the final phase of operations will begin next year, when cell manufacturing begins.

A NextStar Energy employee moves completed battery modules at their plant in Windsor, Ont., in an undated handout photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-NextStar, *MANDATORY CREDIT*
A NextStar Energy employee moves completed battery modules at their plant in Windsor, Ont., in an undated handout photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-NextStar, *MANDATORY CREDIT*

It promises its facilities will be capable of building an annual production capacity of 49.5 gigawatt-hours, enough to power 450,000 vehicles per year.

The battery plant is expected to draw upwards of $15 billion in government funding through incentives linked partially to how many batteries it produces.

When the facility is at capacity, NextStar says it will employ 2,500 people. About 450 have been hired so far.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 22, 2024.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 3:46 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Mark Carney says retaliatory tariffs will hit the U.S. starting next month after Canada walked away from what he called a "bad deal."

The U.S. introduced new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports on Saturday after trade talks failed.

"We got attacked," Carney told reporters on Parliament Hill Saturday when asked about the escalating trade war.

Carney suspended talks with the United States late Friday and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 3:46 PM CDT

A downtown eatery has announced its closure.

Rudy's Eat and Drink, located on the main floor of the Manitoba Hydro building at 375 Graham Ave., posted on social media that the restaurant would be closing after "one last hurrah" on Friday, Aug. 21.

"With heavy hearts it is time to announce that Rudy’s will officially be closing its doors after an incredible 15 years," the post reads.

The post gave no reason for the closure. Rudy's and other restaurants in the building expressed concerns after an assault and resulting lockdown at Hydro Place in late January.

Free Press literary editor picks noteworthy Canadian fiction and non-fiction titles to watch for this fall

Ben Sigurdson 8 minute read Preview

Free Press literary editor picks noteworthy Canadian fiction and non-fiction titles to watch for this fall

Ben Sigurdson 8 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

For many book lovers, summer means relaxing at the beach, in the backyard or at the cottage with fun, warm-weather page-turners — easy-going romance novels, gripping thrillers or even a dishy biography.

And some may long for the summer months to slow down, fall books season always offers up some of the most compelling reads for bookworms.

Here are 10 works of fiction and 10 non-fiction titles from Canadian authors slated to be published in the coming months — from Olympians to separatists, draft dodgers, plutocrats, prime ministers, bird-men and beyond, the characters in these forthcoming titles run the gamut.

FICTIONEliza Sunshine

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Some North End residents are concerned new community mailboxes will become a target for vandalism and crime after the base of one was recently lit ablaze — before it was even installed.

The community mailboxes started to show up on Andrews Street within the last two weeks. Some have been installed, while at other locations, only the concrete foundation is in place.

“They just dumped them on the boulevard,” said Stephen Giesbrecht, who lives beside one of the boxes in the St. John’s neighbourhood. “They dumped them on the corner and then they were gone.”

One of the concrete slabs has already played host to a fire and some of the hardware needed to install the mailbox melted.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Conservatives call on government to release U.S. trade offer details

Nick Murray, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Preview

Conservatives call on government to release U.S. trade offer details

Nick Murray, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Updated: 3:17 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Federal conservatives are calling on the government to release the full details of the trade offer from the United States that Canada rejected this week.

In a letter to Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc, Canada-U.S. relations critic Shuvaloy Majumdar said while his party supports the government's decision to reject the deal, Parliament is in the dark on what was on the table.

"If there was a draft text of any agreement that both governments have seen, please release it. The U.S. administration has seen it. Your government has seen it. Canadians deserve to see it," Majumdar wrote.

"Even after addressing Canadians and the media, the public and Members of Parliament still remain in the dark on your government's demands in negotiations with the Trump administration.

Read
Updated: 3:17 PM CDT