WPS shopping for second armoured vehicle with funds from seized criminal property Armoured van purchase set to go to tender

The Winnipeg Police Service is moving to purchase a second armoured vehicle for its fleet, this time using funding provided by the province.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/11/2024 (642 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Winnipeg Police Service is moving to purchase a second armoured vehicle for its fleet, this time using funding provided by the province.

Justice Minister Matt Wiebe announced $647,000 in new criminal property forfeiture funding for city police last week, about $415,000 of which is earmarked for new equipment, including a “protective rescue van.”

The van purchase is in the process of going to tender, WPS Supt. Brian Miln, who oversees operational support, said Monday afternoon. He did not say how much of the $415,000 would be spent on the vehicle.

MIKE DEAL/FREE PRESS FILES 
The 6.8-tonne Gurkha the WPS purchased in 2015 is bulletproof and looks similar to vehicles used in war zones.
MIKE DEAL/FREE PRESS FILES

The 6.8-tonne Gurkha the WPS purchased in 2015 is bulletproof and looks similar to vehicles used in war zones.

“We don’t exactly know (which manufacturers) have the capability to meet the specs of the tender, but that’s the whole purpose of the tender is to see who can put in competitive bids and, of course, meet the minimum specifications needed,” said Miln.

He said the new vehicle will have similar capabilities to the armour-plated Gurkha tactical vehicle the WPS purchased for $343,000 in 2015, but will look more like something civilians drive.

The 6.8-tonne Gurkha, which is bulletproof and has ballistic and explosion protection, looks similar to vehicles used in war zones.

Its purchase raised eyebrows among critics who questioned how the use of the vehicle would be perceived by the public and whether the city was being influenced by the militarization of police in the U.S., where the use of former military and other tactical equipment is extensive among law-enforcement agencies.

Miln said the new van will be used as a supplement to the existing vehicle, to provide police the ability to cover more of a location, rather than having a vehicle deployed on one side of a building, with other officers behind shields, for example.

“It really starts with officer safety, it’s what it’s all about,” said Miln. “I don’t think it’s any secret that firearm violence and the prevalence of firearms has exponentially increased over the last decade, especially in the last six, seven years in the City of Winnipeg.”

The Gurkha is used by tactical officers and crisis negotiators, among others, in high-risk situations such as standoffs and at calls involving confirmed or suspected guns.

Miln emphasized that the purpose of having the vehicles is to ensure officers are afforded the best available protection.

“We have to provide officers the tools that they need to do their job effectively and safely,” he said.

“At the end of the day, do we want these tools? No, we don’t, but the reality of the current environment is that we need these tools, we have to give our members the tools that they require so that they go home at the end of the day.”

MIKE DEAL/FREE PRESS FILES 
The new armoured vehicle WPS is looking to purchase won't look like the Gurkha, but something more like what civilians drive.
MIKE DEAL/FREE PRESS FILES

The new armoured vehicle WPS is looking to purchase won't look like the Gurkha, but something more like what civilians drive.

He said police are called to calls requiring such protection, at minimum, weekly.

St. Norbert-Seine River Coun. Markus Chambers, who chairs the Winnipeg Police Board, declined to comment Monday afternoon, as he was travelling.

The Gurkha purchase raised additional concerns about transparency, after the WPS awarded a tender for the purchase without first consulting with the Winnipeg Police Board. The board rules, which, at the time, gave the police chief the authority to use up to $500,000 on operational purchases not included in the service’s capital budget, were then amended to ensure all police purchases over $100,000 go before the board.

The balance of the provincial funding granted to WPS last week is slated for mental health and trauma-informed training for police ($100,000), engagement on an Indigenous advisory council ($30,000) and various other programs.

The forfeiture fund program distributes proceeds from the sale of seized criminal property to law-enforcement agencies and other organizations in Manitoba.

The province is able to apply in Court of King’s Bench to confiscate seized property and money obtained by crime, or used to commit crimes, by filing lawsuits.

erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca

Erik Pindera

Erik Pindera
Reporter

Erik Pindera is a reporter for the Free Press, mostly focusing on crime and justice. The born-and-bred Winnipegger attended Red River College Polytechnic, wrote for the community newspaper in Kenora, Ont. and reported on television and radio in Winnipeg before joining the Free Press in 2020.  Read more about Erik.

Every piece of reporting Erik produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read Preview

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Could you imagine a Canada without Mr. PG repping Prince George, B.C.? Or the Big Nickel in Sudbury? Or, my personal favourite, Happy Rock in Gladstone?

Earlier this summer, CBC’s Cost of Living looked at the economics of these giant roadside attractions — of which there are more than 1,500 in Canada — and the cost of keeping them.

Some are falling into disrepair — this is why public art funding is necessary, by the way, not just for construction, but maintenance — and some towns are weighing whether or not that money is better spent elsewhere.

The main character of the story: Tyra the Tyrannosaurus, the rather literal symbol of Drumheller, Alta., a.k.a. the Dinosaur Capital of the World since 2000, who could be facing extinction after the lease agreement between the town and the Drumheller and District Chamber of Commerce ends in 2029.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Some North End residents are concerned new community mailboxes will become a target for vandalism and crime after the base of one was recently lit ablaze — before it was even installed.

The community mailboxes started to show up on Andrews Street within the last two weeks. Some have been installed, while at other locations, only the concrete foundation is in place.

“They just dumped them on the boulevard,” said Stephen Giesbrecht, who lives beside one of the boxes in the St. John’s neighbourhood. “They dumped them on the corner and then they were gone.”

One of the concrete slabs has already played host to a fire and some of the hardware needed to install the mailbox melted.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026