Province blames police for wrongful convictions in 1973 slaying Manitoba files statement of defence in civil suit; lawyer for Indigenous men condemns ‘finger pointing’

The provincial government says it is not responsible for the wrongful convictions of two Indigenous men 50 years ago because its prosecutors didn’t know Winnipeg police officers had obtained false confessions.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/01/2025 (584 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The provincial government says it is not responsible for the wrongful convictions of two Indigenous men 50 years ago because its prosecutors didn’t know Winnipeg police officers had obtained false confessions.

Lawsuits filed last year by Allan Woodhouse and Brian Anderson accused police officers and a Crown prosecutor of colluding to bring false evidence into the trial. In separate statements of defence filed last week, the province claims that’s not the case.

The province admits the two men were victims of a “miscarriage of justice,” but says police, not provincial prosecutors, are the only ones responsible for investigating crimes and it is up to the federal courts to determine whether confessions are “voluntary and accurate.”

 

“The plaintiff’s conviction was primarily caused by a false confession unlawfully obtained from him by members of the Winnipeg Police Service,” the province claims in the documents.

“The Government of Manitoba and the Attorney General for Manitoba had no knowledge of the falsity of the confession and bear no responsibility for the miscarriage of justice that it occasioned … the prosecuting Crown attorneys relied upon the information, records, evidence and other disclosure given to them by the members of the WPS in making the decision to charge the plaintiff.

“Any loss or damage sustained by the plaintiff, as alleged, was caused or significantly contributed to by third parties for whom Manitoba is not responsible.”

The province also launched cross-claims against the City of Winnipeg and the Attorney General of Canada, saying if a court does order the province to pay damages, the city and federal government should be responsible for paying it instead.

James Lockyer, a lawyer for the two men and director of Innocence Canada, said the statement of defence is not what Woodhouse or Anderson wanted to hear.

“It’s frustrating … the finger pointing,” Lockyer said Wednesday.

“They are just looking for compensation and that’s it. It would be nice if everyone could get together and sort out what’s appropriate.”

FREE PRESS FILES
Lawyer James Lockyer said Clarence Woodhouse “will likely be joining in the civil case” but the estate of Russell Woodhouse is not eligible to join the lawsuit yet because he remains convicted in the slaying.
FREE PRESS FILES

Lawyer James Lockyer said Clarence Woodhouse “will likely be joining in the civil case” but the estate of Russell Woodhouse is not eligible to join the lawsuit yet because he remains convicted in the slaying.

Restaurant worker Ting Fong Chan was stabbed to death in Winnipeg in 1973.

Woodhouse and Anderson, along with brothers Clarence and Russell Woodhouse — all from Pinaymootang First Nation — were convicted and given life sentences in 1974. Anderson received parole in 1987 and Woodhouse in 1990. Russell died in 2011, while Clarence served 12 years in prison before being paroled in 1987.

During a 2023 hearing, where Woodhouse and Anderson were acquitted, Michele Jules, Manitoba Prosecution Service executive director, said their confessions had been “entirely manufactured by police detectives.”

In October, Clarence walked out of court an innocent man for the first time in half a century after Manitoba Court of King’s Bench Chief Justice Glenn Joyal issued an acquittal for him. The court had been told the case involving all four men included systemic racism, police brutality and false and forced confessions.

Justice Minister Matt Wiebe said both he and Premier Wab Kinew have apologized to all four men for the miscarriage of justice.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Allan Woodhouse (left) and Brian Anderson pose for a photo after exiting the Law Courts as innocent men in July 2023.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

Allan Woodhouse (left) and Brian Anderson pose for a photo after exiting the Law Courts as innocent men in July 2023.

“We will never be able to give back the past that was robbed of these individuals and others in a similar situation, but we can take steps to move forward in a way that attempts to do right,” Wiebe said in a statement.

“Manitoba is actively pursuing settlement discussions with the plaintiffs in the hopes of quickly reaching a resolution to right this wrong.”

Lockyer said Clarence “will likely be joining in the civil case” with the other two men.

Lockyer said the estate of Russell is not eligible to join the lawsuit because he remains convicted in the slaying.

“We haven’t got his conviction quashed by the minister yet,” said the lawyer. “We are still hoping that will happen, but it hasn’t happened yet. Russell still stands convicted of manslaughter. There’s nothing we can do in his case until we’ve quashed the conviction.”

Last year, both the city and the federal government filed statements of defence with both denying legal liability for the miscarriages of justice.

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason
Reporter

Kevin Rollason was a general assignment reporter at the Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Gun found after police spot masked taxi riders

1 minute read Yesterday at 10:17 AM CDT

Winnipeg police officers seized a sawed-off rifle and arrested a 13-year-old boy after spotting people wearing ski masks inside a taxi Monday afternoon.

North district community support officers were on patrol at about 3:45 p.m. when they noticed the taxi’s masked occupants, who weren’t wearing seatbelts, near McPhillips Street and Pritchard Avenue, police said.

While speaking to one of the passengers, the officers noticed what appeared to be the outline of a gun inside a satchel.

After arresting the passengers, police seized a sawed-off .22-calibre rifle and ammunition, a shotgun shell and about half a gram of methamphetamine, which has a street value of about $30, a news release said.

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Braxton Kuntz began the week not knowing if he’d even be able to play in the Manitoba Open.

The 22-year-old Winnipegger will head to Elmhurst early Friday morning just one shot off the lead — hanging tough with the heavyweights from PGA Tour Americas — after firing a fantastic five-under 65 Thursday afternoon.

“Playing in front of friends, family, a nice gallery watching out there…to start out like that, I’m putting myself in contention,” said Kuntz.

He didn’t realize just how close he was until the Free Press informed him that only Kentucky’s Drew Doyle, who has already won on tour earlier this season, had posted a better score among the 156-player field. Doyle shot a six-under 64.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Finish summer strong with these fun, relaxing options

Conrad Sweatman 7 minute read Preview

Finish summer strong with these fun, relaxing options

Conrad Sweatman 7 minute read Yesterday at 5:00 AM CDT

Late summer can feel neither here nor there.

As on a Sunday night, a certain back-to-school or -work melancholy sets in. The big Manitoba festivals have come and gone. You’re starting to take a reckoning of all the craft beer and food-truck calories you’ve sopped up for two months, without having done as much hiking, canoeing or yard work as you promised yourself.

The wind begins breathing threats of fall, but the golden colours, jack-o’- lanterns and corn mazes aren’t here yet to reassure you of fall’s dusky pleasures. Instead, on a perfect 22 C day, you find yourself having flashbacks of Winnipeg winter nights colder than Mars.

Are we being overly depressing? Absolutely.

Read
Yesterday at 5:00 AM CDT

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read Preview

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Could you imagine a Canada without Mr. PG repping Prince George, B.C.? Or the Big Nickel in Sudbury? Or, my personal favourite, Happy Rock in Gladstone?

Earlier this summer, CBC’s Cost of Living looked at the economics of these giant roadside attractions — of which there are more than 1,500 in Canada — and the cost of keeping them.

Some are falling into disrepair — this is why public art funding is necessary, by the way, not just for construction, but maintenance — and some towns are weighing whether or not that money is better spent elsewhere.

The main character of the story: Tyra the Tyrannosaurus, the rather literal symbol of Drumheller, Alta., a.k.a. the Dinosaur Capital of the World since 2000, who could be facing extinction after the lease agreement between the town and the Drumheller and District Chamber of Commerce ends in 2029.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Attached home by A & S blends style with function

Todd Lewys 5 minute read Preview

Attached home by A & S blends style with function

Todd Lewys 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

As attractive as the exterior designs of most two-storey attached homes are, would-be buyers often cringe inwardly when they think about what awaits inside.

Many two-storey attached designs that fall in the 1,300 to 1,400 sq. ft. range can have a long, narrow feel to their interiors.

That’s totally understandable, as most two-storey attached homes are built on lots with a width of under 30 feet.

A & S Homes’ new, two-storey attached show home at 273 Moonlight Bay isn’t one of those, says Rob Hutchison of RE/MAX Performance Realty.

Read
2:00 AM CDT