Province blames police for wrongful convictions in 1973 slaying Manitoba files statement of defence in civil suit; lawyer for Indigenous men condemns ‘finger pointing’

The provincial government says it is not responsible for the wrongful convictions of two Indigenous men 50 years ago because its prosecutors didn’t know Winnipeg police officers had obtained false confessions.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/01/2025 (582 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The provincial government says it is not responsible for the wrongful convictions of two Indigenous men 50 years ago because its prosecutors didn’t know Winnipeg police officers had obtained false confessions.

Lawsuits filed last year by Allan Woodhouse and Brian Anderson accused police officers and a Crown prosecutor of colluding to bring false evidence into the trial. In separate statements of defence filed last week, the province claims that’s not the case.

The province admits the two men were victims of a “miscarriage of justice,” but says police, not provincial prosecutors, are the only ones responsible for investigating crimes and it is up to the federal courts to determine whether confessions are “voluntary and accurate.”

 

“The plaintiff’s conviction was primarily caused by a false confession unlawfully obtained from him by members of the Winnipeg Police Service,” the province claims in the documents.

“The Government of Manitoba and the Attorney General for Manitoba had no knowledge of the falsity of the confession and bear no responsibility for the miscarriage of justice that it occasioned … the prosecuting Crown attorneys relied upon the information, records, evidence and other disclosure given to them by the members of the WPS in making the decision to charge the plaintiff.

“Any loss or damage sustained by the plaintiff, as alleged, was caused or significantly contributed to by third parties for whom Manitoba is not responsible.”

The province also launched cross-claims against the City of Winnipeg and the Attorney General of Canada, saying if a court does order the province to pay damages, the city and federal government should be responsible for paying it instead.

James Lockyer, a lawyer for the two men and director of Innocence Canada, said the statement of defence is not what Woodhouse or Anderson wanted to hear.

“It’s frustrating … the finger pointing,” Lockyer said Wednesday.

“They are just looking for compensation and that’s it. It would be nice if everyone could get together and sort out what’s appropriate.”

FREE PRESS FILES
Lawyer James Lockyer said Clarence Woodhouse “will likely be joining in the civil case” but the estate of Russell Woodhouse is not eligible to join the lawsuit yet because he remains convicted in the slaying.
FREE PRESS FILES

Lawyer James Lockyer said Clarence Woodhouse “will likely be joining in the civil case” but the estate of Russell Woodhouse is not eligible to join the lawsuit yet because he remains convicted in the slaying.

Restaurant worker Ting Fong Chan was stabbed to death in Winnipeg in 1973.

Woodhouse and Anderson, along with brothers Clarence and Russell Woodhouse — all from Pinaymootang First Nation — were convicted and given life sentences in 1974. Anderson received parole in 1987 and Woodhouse in 1990. Russell died in 2011, while Clarence served 12 years in prison before being paroled in 1987.

During a 2023 hearing, where Woodhouse and Anderson were acquitted, Michele Jules, Manitoba Prosecution Service executive director, said their confessions had been “entirely manufactured by police detectives.”

In October, Clarence walked out of court an innocent man for the first time in half a century after Manitoba Court of King’s Bench Chief Justice Glenn Joyal issued an acquittal for him. The court had been told the case involving all four men included systemic racism, police brutality and false and forced confessions.

Justice Minister Matt Wiebe said both he and Premier Wab Kinew have apologized to all four men for the miscarriage of justice.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Allan Woodhouse (left) and Brian Anderson pose for a photo after exiting the Law Courts as innocent men in July 2023.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

Allan Woodhouse (left) and Brian Anderson pose for a photo after exiting the Law Courts as innocent men in July 2023.

“We will never be able to give back the past that was robbed of these individuals and others in a similar situation, but we can take steps to move forward in a way that attempts to do right,” Wiebe said in a statement.

“Manitoba is actively pursuing settlement discussions with the plaintiffs in the hopes of quickly reaching a resolution to right this wrong.”

Lockyer said Clarence “will likely be joining in the civil case” with the other two men.

Lockyer said the estate of Russell is not eligible to join the lawsuit because he remains convicted in the slaying.

“We haven’t got his conviction quashed by the minister yet,” said the lawyer. “We are still hoping that will happen, but it hasn’t happened yet. Russell still stands convicted of manslaughter. There’s nothing we can do in his case until we’ve quashed the conviction.”

Last year, both the city and the federal government filed statements of defence with both denying legal liability for the miscarriages of justice.

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason
Reporter

Kevin Rollason was a general assignment reporter at the Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Pre-owned sets seller Romo’s Bricks seeks to click with Winnipeg’s Lego community

Aaron Epp 5 minute read Preview

Pre-owned sets seller Romo’s Bricks seeks to click with Winnipeg’s Lego community

Aaron Epp 5 minute read Yesterday at 8:17 PM CDT

There’s no mortar in sight but there are certainly thousands of bricks at a new brick-and-mortar store in Winnipeg catering to Lego enthusiasts.

Ashton Romaniuk and Madison Froome opened Romo’s Bricks in late spring. Located at 955 Milt Stegall Dr., in the same building as CanCentral Sports Cards & Memorabilia, the store specializes in selling pre-owned Lego sets, minifigures and other Lego-related products.

“It’s something we’re both passionate about,” Froome said.

To stock the store, she and Romaniuk spent $50,000 on four large Lego collections, purchased from local collectors. Romaniuk estimates that since the store opened on June 2, inventory has grown to $250,000 worth of Lego.

Read
Yesterday at 8:17 PM CDT

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 7 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 7 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT