Feds give $9.5 million to Prairie arts organizations

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet has about 2.25 million new reasons to dance.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/03/2025 (514 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet has about 2.25 million new reasons to dance.

The civic institution is one of eight Manitoba and five Saskatchewan arts organizations getting a share of about $9.58 million in funding through the federal government’s Prairie Performing Arts Initiative, Winnipeg South MP Terry Duguid announced in the ballet’s foyer Friday morning.

The RWB’s $2.25-million funding injection — earmarked mainly for renovations of its main floor studio space into a black-box performance theatre and toward community activations and market expansion — was by far the largest doled out, accounting for about 24 per cent of the total.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS
                                Environment Minister/Winnipeg South MP Terry Duguid (left) and longtime Royal Winnipeg Ballet supporter Don Leitch are all smiles at Friday’s funding announcement.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS

Environment Minister/Winnipeg South MP Terry Duguid (left) and longtime Royal Winnipeg Ballet supporter Don Leitch are all smiles at Friday’s funding announcement.

About 68 per cent of the fresh federal funding will go toward Manitoba arts organizations — including the Manitoba Chamber Orchestra ($305,357); Manitoba Theatre for Young People ($508,991); Prairie Theatre Exchange ($600,525); Théâtre Cercle Molière ($650,530); Manitoba Opera ($750,000); Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre ($750,000); and the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra ($750,000) — to aid in modernizing technology, expanding audience and achieving long-term economic viability.

The remainder of the funding will go to theatre and symphony organizations one province west. Last week, about $8.3 million was also directed toward Alberta arts groups in a similar injection of non-repayable, long-term funding, Duguid said.

Angela Birdsell, executive director of the WSO, welcomed Friday’s investment, saying it addresses long-standing regional inequities for arts funding that tended to overlook the Prairie provinces.

“There is a competition from the environment, the social dimension — all of the things that governments support, and often the arts are an afterthought,” said Duguid, the federal minister of environment and climate change.

“I think we’ve shown today that it is not an afterthought. It is part of our identity. It is so important to our culture. It’s important for our unity as a city, province and country. It tells our stories. It is us.”

Duguid — flanked by parliamentary colleague Ben Carr (Winnipeg South Centre) — agreed the Prairies historically “were not given their fair share.”

With newly installed Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to dissolve Parliament and call a federal election on Sunday, neither Duguid nor Carr shied away from discussing the impending national decision.

“I’m very much thinking about (my father, the late MP Jim Carr, a classically trained oboist) when we make this announcement at a time when our values, our identity and our institutions are being challenged and threatened, both domestically from political leaders who are more interested in dividing us than uniting us, and from external forces that are looking to disrupt and take over our way of life,” Carr said.

“Investments like this mean more than perhaps they ever have.”

Carney, the former Bank of Canada governor who succeeded Justin Trudeau as both Liberal party leader and prime minister earlier this month, is expected to call an election for April 28.

ben.waldman@winnipegfreepress.com

Ben Waldman

Ben Waldman
Reporter

Ben Waldman is a National Newspaper Award-nominated reporter on the Arts & Life desk at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg, Ben completed three internships with the Free Press while earning his degree at Ryerson University’s (now Toronto Metropolitan University’s) School of Journalism before joining the newsroom full-time in 2019. Read more about Ben.

Every piece of reporting Ben produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Ignore gossip, be good till girlfriend’s back

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: I am lonely to the bone. My girlfriend has been away working for the summer, and I promised I wouldn’t cheat on her. But now I have heard through the grapevine she’s seeing a guy who works at her kids’ camp.

I think the source can be trusted, because she’s a friend who cares about me, almost like a sister. Actually I think she kind of wants me herself, but never seems to cross that line. Should I believe her “inside information” when she might be wanting to go out with me herself?

My girlfriend won’t be back until the very end of August and the messages and phone calls back and forth have been less and less frequent. Maybe she’s just busy or getting rested up to see me — or maybe she’s seeing someone else. I’m feeling jealous and I hate it! Maybe I should see somebody else too. Please advise ASAP.

— Lonely and Suspicious, Transcona

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Yesterday at 5:49 PM CDT

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Yesterday at 5:49 PM CDT

Shelters overwhelmed as rising vet costs forcing some owners to surrender pets

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Shelters overwhelmed as rising vet costs forcing some owners to surrender pets

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In the fall of 2022, Tara Miller was faced with a difficult decision: keep her car or sell it to pay for a second knee surgery for her dog.

Ultimately, she needed her car to commute during the winter and decided to manage her dog Corby’s arthritis with medication and home therapy.

“Mentally it probably broke me,” said the 54-year-old.

While insurance covered two-thirds of the dog’s initial $6,000 surgery, Miller had to pay the remaining $2,000. That was on top of the $500 checkup before the surgery and the monthly $175 pet insurance premium.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:17 PM CDT

True North Sports and Entertainment was hit with a $12,000 fine for serving minors with fake IDs during a Winnipeg Jets White Out street party in 2025.

Read
Yesterday at 6:17 PM CDT

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
5:35 PM CDT

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

School trustees are calling on the province to bolster public education around e-bike and e-scooter safety ahead of back-to-school season.

The Manitoba School Boards Association brought members’ concerns about a growing number of students using electronic devices to get to and from classes to the education minister’s office this month.

“There’s a concerning lack of safety knowledge on the part of Manitoba youth,” executive director Alan Campbell said.

Campbell, a long-time trustee in the Interlake School Division, resigned from elected office this summer to run the association that mobilizes school boards and provides them with labour relations support.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT