Quebec declares end to measles outbreak after no cases reported for 32 days

Advertisement

Advertise with us

QUÉBEC - Quebec's Health Department has declared an end to the measles outbreak in the province.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/04/2025 (484 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

QUÉBEC – Quebec’s Health Department has declared an end to the measles outbreak in the province.

A spokeswoman said today the department determined the outbreak was over after no new cases were reported over the weekend.

Marie-Christine Patry says an outbreak can be considered over if 32 days pass without a new reported infection.

A dose of the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccination awaits the next patient during a vaccine clinic at Southwestern Public Health in St. Thomas, Ont., Tuesday, March 4, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Geoff Robins
A dose of the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccination awaits the next patient during a vaccine clinic at Southwestern Public Health in St. Thomas, Ont., Tuesday, March 4, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Geoff Robins

Quebec’s outbreak began in December 2024, and involved a contagious traveller who had visited the province before they were diagnosed.

Most of the province’s cases — 32 out of 40 — were reported in the Laurentians region north of Montreal.

The federal government says there have been 880 measles cases reported in five provinces so far in 2025, with the vast majority — 804 — in Ontario.

Patry says there hasn’t been a new case of measles reported in Quebec since March 18.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 22, 2025.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Carney to brief cabinet, premiers on trade deal with the U.S.

The Canadian Press staff, The Canadian Press 2 minute read Preview

Carney to brief cabinet, premiers on trade deal with the U.S.

The Canadian Press staff, The Canadian Press 2 minute read Updated: 2:07 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Mark Carney is scheduled to brief his cabinet and Canada's premiers today about the potential trade deal reached with the United States on Tuesday.

Carney will chair a virtual cabinet meeting and then hold a virtual meeting with premiers to discuss the deal that appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

President Donald Trump paused for three days the latest tariff threat on $28 billion worth of Canadian goods pending the finalization of the deal.

The U.S. said the threat was in response to trade irritants including the provincial bans on American alcohol in most provinces and Canada's dairy supply management system.

Read
Updated: 2:07 PM CDT

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Yesterday at 4:29 PM CDT

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Yesterday at 4:29 PM CDT

Brandon’s gas plant: a health decision

Riley De Blonde and Scott Blyth 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Imagine a Manitoba in which our lives are powered by clean, affordable electricity that Manitobans own and which doesn’t pollute the air and water we depend on.

That future is within reach and, as doctors, we know it would protect people’s health now and for many generations.

Instead, Manitoba Hydro wants to spend $3 billion on three new gas-fired turbines in Brandon.The Public Utilities Board is now considering this proposal, before our provincial leaders make a final decision that could lock us into burning harmful fossil fuels for decades.

Every day doctors witness the toll of air pollution, hotter summers and smokier skies on our patients — the child struggling through an asthma attack in the emergency room, the senior dangerously overheating during a heat wave. These health crises are not inevitable. They are the consequence of decisions, by governments and corporations, to keep burning fossil fuels.

Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 2 minute read Preview

Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 2 minute read 11:02 AM CDT

A new report shows 94 complaints were flagged to Manitoba’s independent teacher commissioner during a 15-month period.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the professional misconduct concerns and findings of investigations between January 2025 and March 2026.

The regulatory college was established on Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in the 24-page document released this week.

Read
11:02 AM CDT

The common abuse of ‘common sense’

Alex Passey 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

If you spend any amount of time having deep conversations on sensitive subject matters, you will undoubtedly encounter patterns of thought and speech peppered into the discourse as if certain people were helpless but to utter them.

Perhaps you are trying to get to the heart of a complicated matter and the disagreement with your conversational partner starts to get a little heated. Often somebody will dust off the old diplomatic gem of “let’s agree to disagree” to extinguish further argument.

Or perhaps you are trying to console a grief-stricken person who has gone through a traumatic event. People in such a state will often rail against the state of the universe with powerful philosophical sentiments, demanding to know how such injustice could be permitted. You would not be the first person to misguidedly try to soothe them with something like “everything happens for a reason.” Or, less secularly, “God works in mysterious ways.”

These are known as thought-terminating clichés. Pithy little sayings that sound like folksy wisdom but serve mostly to sever a train of thinking, often because it is either uncomfortable or more complicated than the person is willing to engage. Admittedly, they often come from a good-natured place of keeping the peace, though it could easily be argued that they mostly serve to preserve to comfort or indulge the intellectual laziness of those who speak them.