Measles exposure at rural school, bus used for Manitoba Museum field trip
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 06/05/2025 (474 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A bus used to take students on a field trip to the Manitoba Museum has been identified as a potential measles exposure site last week.
Provincial health officials announced Tuesday that some of the most recent exposures involved people who were unaware they had been in contact with a person who had the infectious illness.
Health officials said Tuesday the measles exposure was on Bus 128, route 79, which services École Dugald School and also takes students to Oakbank Elementary, Springfield Middle School, and Springfield Collegiate Institute, on April 29 and 30 and May 2 from 8:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., and 3:40 p.m. to 6 p.m. The route “includes École Dugald School field trip on May 2 to the Manitoba Museum,” officials said in a release.
Provincial officials clarified Wednesday that the individual with measles did not attend the museum field trip, but Bus 128 was used for transport. Measles is highly infectious and spread through droplets in the air formed when coughing or sneezing; droplets can stay in the air for several hours.
Other exposures were at:
- Dugald School, on April 29 and 30, and May 2, from 8:45 a.m. to 5:40 p.m., and
- Bus 26, route 72, which services the same schools as the other bus and on the same days, but from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., and 4 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.
People who were in these places are advised to watch for symptoms until May 24, including a red rash, fever, cough, runny nose, upper respiratory symptoms and fatigue. Serious complications such as pneumonia, blindness and death are possible.
As well, Manitobans were also exposed at the Boundary Trails Health Centre’s emergency department waiting room on April 27 from 4:11 p.m. to 10:07 p.m. People have to watch for symptoms until May 19.
To date, the province has announced 10 confirmed cases of measles, with four of them confirmed in April, along with four probable cases during that month.
The province says it will only announce the status of measles cases on Wednesdays.
fpcity@freepress.mb.ca
Kevin Rollason
Reporter
Kevin Rollason was a general assignment reporter at the Free Press.
Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.
Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.
History
Updated on Wednesday, May 7, 2025 11:47 AM CDT: Adds clarification on museum exposure.