New homeless camps off the table, province tells Main Street Project Finding proper shelter only option for publicly funded agency’s outreach workers; government to address difficult situations on case-by-case basis

The province has put Main Street Project on notice after agency workers were captured on video helping set up a homeless encampment in Point Douglas last week where one had recently been cleared.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/05/2025 (451 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The province has put Main Street Project on notice after agency workers were captured on video helping set up a homeless encampment in Point Douglas last week where one had recently been cleared.

Housing, Addictions and Homelessness Minister Bernadette Smith has directed MSP — one of the key players in the province’s Your Way Home strategy to end homelessness — and other service delivery organizations not to move people into encampments.

“I have talked to them about this situation,” Smith said in an interview with the Free Press Monday.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Minister of housing, addictions and homelessness Bernadette Smith has directed the Main Street Project and other service delivery organizations not to move people into encampments.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

Minister of housing, addictions and homelessness Bernadette Smith has directed the Main Street Project and other service delivery organizations not to move people into encampments.

“Going forward, it’s from encampment to housing. The Your Way Home strategy outlines that pretty clearly,” she said.

The stated goal of Your Way Home, the two-year $20-million initiative announced by Premier Wab Kinew in January is moving people living outside into appropriate housing with needed supports, one camp at a time. The sites are to be cleaned up afterward, with city crews monitoring to ensure they’re not reoccupied.

“If there are situations where we don’t have housing available and there is an unsafe condition and there’s unique circumstances, then they are to get in touch with us and we will deal with those, case by case,” Smith said.

“All of the service delivery organizations have known that that is the strategy and, moving forward, that is what everyone needs to follow.”

A Point Douglas resident captured video last Tuesday of a Main Street Project outreach van dropping off two individuals, along with a tent, tarp, suitcases and other supplies. Two agency workers helped drag the equipment down to the riverbank and assisted in setting up the shelter.

The resident, Howard Warren, informed the Point Douglas Residents Committee, which composed a letter raising several neighbourhood concerns that was sent to MSP and copied to Kinew, Mayor Scott Gillingham, the Progressive Conservative housing critic, End Homelessness Winnipeg, the United Way and the Winnipeg Foundation.

Smith said both individuals in the encampment were moved into housing over the weekend.

“We are all on the same page that we need to get people into housing.”–Minister Bernadette Smith

MSP — a non-profit health organization largely funded with public money via various government programs and grants — has declined repeated Free Press requests for comment since the letter was revealed last Thursday; a promised statement Monday afternoon did not materialize.

Smith said she spoke to Gillingham Monday, and that he is “on board” with her directive to MSP executives.

“We are all on the same page that we need to get people into housing,” she said. “If housing isn’t available, and there are unique circumstances, we will deal with them as they arise.”

Earlier in the day at an unrelated event, Gillingham mentioned that End Homelessness Winnipeg — an Indigenous housing advocate organization responsible for distributing federal program funds — plans to convene a meeting of representatives from homelessness agencies, the province and city to discuss the Point Douglas Residents Committee’s concerns.

The matter was raised during question period in the Manitoba legislature Monday by Morden-Winkler MLA Carrie Hiebert, the Tories’ housing, addictions and homelessness critic, who wanted to know whether Smith could ensure no taxpayer dollars would be used to help set up new encampments.

Smith said rather than address the growing number of homeless people, the former PC government sold off social housing units, making matters worse.

“I’ve talked to some of those folks that are in encampments that were living in those units that are now getting wraparound supports,” she said afterward. “They’re on a path to whatever it is that they want to succeed at in their life, whether it’s reunification with their families or getting into a program so they can build their skills and get into the workforce or stable housing.”

SCOTT BILLECK / FREE PRESS
The site of a recent encampment along the waterfront in Point Douglas Monday.

SCOTT BILLECK / FREE PRESS

The site of a recent encampment along the waterfront in Point Douglas Monday.

“These are Manitobans that deserve to live in dignified housing. Manitobans were pretty clear they didn’t want to see folks living in encampments, bus shelters, under bridges. The previous government left people in those situations.

“We’re going to continue to support and get housing online and get people out of encampments with the supports they need.”

— With files from Joyanne Pursaga

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

Carol Sanders

Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter

Carol Sanders is a reporter at the Free Press legislature bureau. The former general assignment reporter and copy editor joined the paper in 1997. Read more about Carol.

Every piece of reporting Carol produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Monday, May 26, 2025 6:50 PM CDT: Updates headline

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Preview

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT

Premier Wab Kinew said the province is doing all it can to ensure that Manitobans aren’t hit with another 911 service outage — including asking the head of Bell Canada to help.

“At the end of the day, when you dial 911, we need to get emergency services to you as quickly as possible,” Kinew said.

On July 22, an hours-long outage prevented nearly 90 calls to 911 from being routed to the public safety answering point in Brandon. Backup systems that reroute 911 calls when an outage occurs also experienced “issues” after a third party cut the cable during construction near Winnipeg, Bell Canada said earlier.

At the time, Kinew called the 911 outage “unacceptable,” and told reporters that Prime Minister Mark Carney assured him he would raise the matter with telecom executives.

Read
Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

MOON ALERT: After 3:45 a.m. today there are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions. The moon is in Sagittarius.

ARIES (March 21-April 19)

You might be interested in unusual, powerful ideas. They might be mystical and idealistic. They might even be related to improving yourself somehow. Nevertheless, be aware this is also a mildly accident-prone day for you. Pay attention to everything you say and do.

TAURUS (April 20-May 20)

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 2:15 PM CDT

Two people are facing charges for allegedly assaulting Winnipeg Transit employees in separate incidents within a 10-hour span Tuesday.

A 51-year-old man is accused of randomly throwing a beer can at a driver while exiting a bus at Dunkirk Avenue and Kingston Row at about 6 a.m.

The man bit the driver, who was trying to restrain him, police said. He was charged with assault and held in custody.

At about 3:40 p.m., a 31-year-old woman who refused to pay bus fare at Main Street and Pioneer Avenue punched a supervisor in the face, police said.

Read
Yesterday at 2:15 PM CDT