Two city eateries in running for best new restaurant list

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Two neighbouring Winnipeg restaurants have landed in the national spotlight just six months after opening.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/09/2025 (339 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Two neighbouring Winnipeg restaurants have landed in the national spotlight just six months after opening.

On Tuesday, Baby Baby (137 Osborne St.) and Shirley’s (135 Osborne St.) were named among 31 finalists in the running for a spot on Air Canada’s 2025 Best New Restaurants list.

For Chris Gama, co-chef and partner at Baby Baby, it’s a meaningful accolade after years of behind-the-scenes labour.

“It’s been a lot of work,” says Gama, who co-owns the restaurant with Raya Konrad, Daly Gyles and Nick Gladu. “We’re really proud of ourselves and we’re really proud of our team… because it takes all of us to build something nice,”

Baby Baby and Shirley’s both opened in March and worked closely during renovations to restore and divide the Osborne Village storefront previously home to Basil’s, Black Rabbit Bistro and several other short-lived concepts.

On the south side of the building, Baby Baby serves boutique cocktails and shared plates in a whimsical dining room created by Winnipeg studio Fireside Design Build.

To the north, Shirley’s chef and owner Renée Girard specializes in fine-casual fare, including handmade pasta and homemade pickles.

Gama is glad Girard is getting her due.

“It’s really, really nice to see her get this kind of recognition, especially since it’s her first restaurant. She put a lot of herself into this,” he says.

The kudos run both ways.

“I’m honoured to be on that same platform as them; they’re people I’ve looked up to my whole culinary career,” Girard says of the Baby Baby ownership group.

Opening Shirley’s — named after Girard’s grandmother — has been a lifelong dream made possible by encouragement from friends and family. Making it on Canada’s best new restaurants list is the cherry on top.

“You’re damn right I’m proud of it and every single one of my team members should be proud of it, too,” Girard says.

Osborne Village’s new generation of dining options have been well represented on the Air Canada list in recent years, with Crumb Queen and Andy’s Lunch (166 Osborne St.) landing on the Top 10 in 2024.

“It’s nice to see the village getting acknowledged because we couldn’t have been successful if it wasn’t for the support we’ve had from the neighbourhood,” Gama says.

Girard agrees.

“This is a great thing for our city and it’s a great thing for the community and Osborne Village,” she says. “We’re finally being recognized in the Prairies and I think that’s very special and well deserved.”

The annual Air Canada Best New Restaurants list includes dine-in eateries opened between May 2024 and April 2025, nominated by a panel of national culinary professionals. The Top 10 list will be revealed on Nov. 17 in Toronto

eva.wasney@winnipegfreepress.com

Eva Wasney

Eva Wasney
Reporter

Eva Wasney has been a reporter with the Free Press Arts & Life department since 2019. Read more about Eva.

Every piece of reporting Eva produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
12:25 PM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Judge decries ‘senseless acts’ during sentencing for killers in Berens River manslaughter

Erik Pindera 4 minute read Preview

Judge decries ‘senseless acts’ during sentencing for killers in Berens River manslaughter

Erik Pindera 4 minute read 4:37 PM CDT

Two men have admitted their guilt in the beating death of a 45-year-old father in Berens River First Nation last winter.

Michael Oliver Franklin, 32, and Thomas Bryton Goosehead, 24, pleaded guilty to manslaughter Thursday in the Feb. 13, 2025 killing of Leslie Neil Mason.

“These types of senseless acts happen far too often in Berens River and every other small community in Manitoba, including here in Winnipeg,” Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne said.

The men had been charged with second-degree murder, but admitted to the lesser offence as part of a plea bargain struck between their defence lawyers and Crown prosecutor Thomas Boult, largely due to concerns with the strength of the case Boult developed after meeting with witnesses in Berens River.

Read
4:37 PM CDT

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read 5:32 PM CDT

A mayoral candidate is vowing to have security teams monitor parks and remove people doing drugs at the green spaces, if elected.

Mike Vogiatzakis held a news conference at city hall Friday, where he shared some initial promises.

“People (who) are not supposed to be in those parks, who are bringing drugs to those parks, who are injecting needles in their bodies, they will be removed (from) those parks immediately and their needles will go with them,” said Vogiatzakis.

He vowed to release a new pledge each week for the rest of the campaign.

Read
5:32 PM CDT

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: 6:24 PM CDT