The CBC’s new plan to grow, win back audiences is ambitious but vague, experts say

Advertisement

Advertise with us

OTTAWA - Experts say CBC/Radio-Canada's new five-year plan to grow its audience offers a reply to its many critics — but it lacks specifics and it might be too little and too late.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/10/2025 (308 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

OTTAWA – Experts say CBC/Radio-Canada’s new five-year plan to grow its audience offers a reply to its many critics — but it lacks specifics and it might be too little and too late.

Earlier this week, the public broadcaster released a plan for expanding its viewership by reaching out to children and youth, newcomers and “non-users or dissatisfied users.”

CBC president Marie-Philippe Bouchard told The Canadian Press in an earlier interview that the plan includes a new focus on rural areas and Western Canada through a larger on-the-ground journalistic presence.

Marie-Philippe Bouchard, CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada, poses in their offices in Montreal on Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi
Marie-Philippe Bouchard, CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada, poses in their offices in Montreal on Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

But connecting with that estranged audience will take more than enhanced local coverage, said Peter Menzies, a former CRTC vice-chair and former publisher of the Calgary Herald, now a senior fellow with the Macdonald-Laurier Institute.

“I think they need to make sure that when they do that coverage, they’re speaking to people in a voice that they find familiar,” he told The Canadian Press.

That means “if you’re talking to people in Moose Jaw, you sound like somebody who knows what Moose Jaw is all about,” he added.

“Unless you’re sort of embedded in your community and you understand how it thinks, listens, how it hears things, you’re not going to be successful.”

Menzies said smaller communities may have early-career reporters who work there for a short while before moving to larger markets — and that means newsroom managers need to “understand those communities and … make sure that you get relatively smooth transitions.”

CBC also needs to decentralize decision-making away from its Toronto headquarters, he said.

“It’s very difficult for anybody in Toronto to be making sound decisions about what the interests are of viewers, readers and listeners in Western Canada, and rural parts of Ontario for that matter,” he said.

Marsha Barber, a journalism professor at Toronto Metropolitan University and former producer at the CBC, said the public broadcaster’s “biggest challenge” will be to reach those Canadians who don’t use its service, or who feel alienated by it.

It will have to “prioritize using diverse opinions and voices from across the country to bolster its coverage,” Barber said in an email, adding CBC will have to be “very specific” about what it will do differently following previous attempts to boost its audience.

Menzies said the CBC’s new five-year plan might be landing too late to make a difference.

“Impressions get very embedded, and it’s been a few years that this has been going on now … Once your connection is broken with people in media, it’s very hard to earn them back and I think it’s going to be extremely challenging,” he said.

But Jessica Johnson, a senior fellow with McGill University’s Centre for Media, Technology and Democracy, said the CBC still has a shot at connecting with a broader audience.

“With local journalism, rural journalism especially, you just have to show up. You just have put a body there,” she said.

Johnson, who published a report on the CBC this summer, said her research showed that more than half of Canadians aren’t satisfied with their local news options — and those who live in rural or semi-rural areas are even less satisfied.

“That’s such a low-hanging piece of fruit, and reinstalling local journalism bureaus doesn’t have to be that expensive,” she said.

CBC/Radio-Canada’s plan comes months after an election which saw Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre repeatedly vow to “defund” the CBC.

There has been an unprecedented amount of political focus on CBC/Radio-Canada in the past two years, Johnson noted.

“I see the CBC really hearing the criticisms that have been levelled against it,” she said.

Johnson said that while strategy is ambitious, it’s also vague.

“It’s definitely missing the how and also … the how much,” she said.

Though the Liberals have promised to increase CBC/Radio-Canada’s budget and make its funding more stable, the strategic plan was released ahead of the federal budget, which will be tabled in early November.

Sarah Andrews, senior director of government and media relations at the advocacy group Friends of Canadian Media, agreed the CBC is responding to some of the criticisms that have been raised in the past few years.

She said the fact that the public broadcaster is aware of the “need to be more in communities, more boots on the ground, more journalists on the ground in those areas, is a good thing.”

Andrews said she would like to see more specifics, particularly about plans for individual communities. She noted that after the passage of the Online News Act — which resulted in CBC/Radio-Canada receiving a portion of Google $100-million fund — the broadcaster outlined plans to hire up to 30 journalists in 22 communities.

The new five-year plan says the public broadcaster has plans to “fund additional coverage and hire sufficient journalists to cover 15-20 communities with a population greater than 50,000, that currently have no or little local CBC/Radio-Canada presence.”

Andrews said that “to identify where those … communities are that don’t have local reporting on the ground, and to have a timeline as to when journalists could be expected in those communities, I think that’s certainly something that would be encouraging for communities that do feel disconnected.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 18, 2025.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Braxton Kuntz began the week not knowing if he’d even be able to play in the Manitoba Open.

The 22-year-old Winnipegger will head to Elmhurst early Friday morning just one shot off the lead — hanging tough with the heavyweights from PGA Tour Americas — after firing a fantastic five-under 65 Thursday afternoon.

“Playing in front of friends, family, a nice gallery watching out there…to start out like that, I’m putting myself in contention,” said Kuntz.

He didn’t realize just how close he was until the Free Press informed him that only Kentucky’s Drew Doyle, who has already won on tour earlier this season, had posted a better score among the 156-player field. Doyle shot a six-under 64.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDT

Gun found after police spot masked taxi riders

1 minute read Yesterday at 10:17 AM CDT

Winnipeg police officers seized a sawed-off rifle and arrested a 13-year-old boy after spotting people wearing ski masks inside a taxi Monday afternoon.

North district community support officers were on patrol at about 3:45 p.m. when they noticed the taxi’s masked occupants, who weren’t wearing seatbelts, near McPhillips Street and Pritchard Avenue, police said.

While speaking to one of the passengers, the officers noticed what appeared to be the outline of a gun inside a satchel.

After arresting the passengers, police seized a sawed-off .22-calibre rifle and ammunition, a shotgun shell and about half a gram of methamphetamine, which has a street value of about $30, a news release said.

RCMP, OCN seek mother of dead newborn or fetus

Morgan Modjeski 1 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

The RCMP and Opaskwayak Cree Nation leaders are trying to identify the mother of a newborn baby or fetus found deceased in Umpherville on Monday.

RCMP said the remains were found between two homes and on Friday, a news release from leadership of the northern First Nation called for anyone with information to come forward.

“The RCMP has advised leadership that it is continuing its investigation and seeks to identify the mother and family of the deceased newborn and determine the surrounding circumstances,” said Chief Michael Constant, in the release.

Recognizing the discovery is “deeply troubling” for the community, band leadership expressed its concern and said it is “exploring the need for additional supports for the health of mothers and families.”

Attached home by A & S blends style with function

Todd Lewys 4 minute read Preview

Attached home by A & S blends style with function

Todd Lewys 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

As attractive as the exterior designs of most two-storey attached homes are, would-be buyers often cringe inwardly when they think about what awaits inside.

Many two-storey attached designs that fall in the 1,300 to 1,400 sq. ft. range can have a long, narrow feel to their interiors.

That’s totally understandable, as most two-storey attached homes are built on lots with a width of under 30 feet.

A & S Homes’ new, two-storey attached show home at 273 Moonlight Bay isn’t one of those, says Rob Hutchison of RE/MAX Performance Realty.

Read
2:00 AM CDT