Dutch court orders investigation into chipmaker Nexperia and upholds Chinese CEO’s suspension

Advertisement

Advertise with us

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — A Dutch court on Wednesday ordered a formal investigation into chipmaker Nexperia and upheld an earlier order suspending its Chinese CEO, citing doubts about the company’s policies and conduct.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/02/2026 (193 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — A Dutch court on Wednesday ordered a formal investigation into chipmaker Nexperia and upheld an earlier order suspending its Chinese CEO, citing doubts about the company’s policies and conduct.

The written decision by the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal is the latest step in a saga swirling around the Dutch-based semiconductor company that sent shock waves through the global auto industry.

The dispute made world headlines last year when the Dutch government said it took the extraordinary step of effectively seizing control of the company. It acted on fears that corporate governance concerns at the company, under its Chinese ownership, would result in the loss of technological capabilities vital to Dutch and European economic security.

FILE - The head office of Chinese-owned chipmaker Nexperia is seen in Nijmegen, Netherlands, Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2025, after the Dutch government took control of the semiconductor company over governance shortcomings. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong, file)
FILE - The head office of Chinese-owned chipmaker Nexperia is seen in Nijmegen, Netherlands, Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2025, after the Dutch government took control of the semiconductor company over governance shortcomings. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong, file)

Carmakers scrambled to find other sources after the boardroom turmoil disrupted supplies of the basic, standardized chips that Nexperia makes, which are essential for controlling numerous automotive functions such as operating headlights, airbag systems or anti-lock brakes.

Nexperia’s CEO Zhang Xuezheng, who’s also founder of its Chinese parent Wingtech, was suspended by the enterprise chamber in October following claims of mismanagement.

Wingtech said in a statement that it “regrets that the Court has not fully restored our shareholder rights by its decision, and instead kept previous extraordinary interim measures in place pending further inquiry.”

At a court hearing last month, lawyers for Zhang and Wingtech painted him as a successful businessman trying to guide Nexperia through troubled geopolitical waters. They urged the court not to order an investigation and said Wingtech had been blindsided by the Dutch government move. Zhang was not in court for the hearing.

However, Nexperia lawyer Jeroen van der Schriek told the three-judge panel that the behavior of Wingtech and Hong Kong-based holding company Yuching since October “makes it clear that they are willing to subordinate Nexperia’s interests to other interests.”

An English statement issued by the court on Wednesday’s ruling said that the chamber found that “a conflict of interest has been handled without due care” at Nexperia.

It added that there are “indications that the director of Nexperia changed the strategy without internal consultation under the threat of upcoming sanctions.” It said that agreements with the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs “were no longer adhered to, the powers of European managers were restricted and their dismissal was announced.”

The court statement said that it could not definitively say how long the investigation would take, but added that such probes can take more than six months. The court will use the findings to assess “whether there has been mismanagement at Nexperia and whether definitive measures need to be taken.”

Nexperia said in a statement posted online that it “welcomes and respects” the ruling and is “committed to fully complying” with the investigation.

Wingtech said it’s confident that “a full, fair and impartial inquiry” will show its actions were “appropriate and in the best interests of the company and its stakeholders.” It bemoaned the decision to continue Zhang’s suspension, saying it prolongs “significant uncertainty.”

“The current situation has had far-reaching consequences for Nexperia, its employees and the global automotive supply chain,” Wingtech’s statement said.

Car manufacturers including Honda had to halt production of some vehicles as the crisis unfolded, and Mercedes-Benz was among those scrambling to find alternatives.

Beijing responded to the seizure by blocking the export of Nexperia’s chips from its Chinese assembly plant, but lifted the ban after U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping met in late October.

The Dutch government said last year it was relinquishing its control of Nexperia as a “show of goodwill.” But a standoff between Nexperia’s Dutch headquarters and its Chinese unit continued to fuel chip supply chain concerns by interrupting shipments to the Chinese facilities.

“Nexperia’s situation now requires, first and foremost, a situation of calm that allows Nexperia to restore its internal relations, its production chain and deliveries to customers,” the court said Wednesday.

It’s rare but not unprecedented for a European government to take control of a company over national security concerns. After the Russia-Ukraine war started, Germany took control of two subsidiaries of Russian oil company Rosneft. Germany and Poland also took over natural gas companies linked to Russia’s Gazprom to secure energy amid an energy crisis tied to the war.

The dispute also highlighted how Europe is caught between the U.S. and China in their global battle over trade and technology dominance. American officials had told the Dutch government Zhang should be replaced to avoid trade restrictions, according to a court filing last year.

Nexperia was spun off from Philips Semiconductors two decades ago and then purchased in 2018 by Wingtech. In 2022, the British government blocked Nexperia’s bid to acquire Wales-based chipmaker Newport Wafer Fab, citing national security risks. ___

Chan contributed from London.

___

This version corrects the year that the UK government blocked Nexperia’s bid to take control of Newport Wafer to 2022 from 2023.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Preview

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

A retired doctor is raising red flags on Manitoba Hydro’s proposed gas plant expansion in Brandon and the health-related consequences of climate change.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read Preview

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Could you imagine a Canada without Mr. PG repping Prince George, B.C.? Or the Big Nickel in Sudbury? Or, my personal favourite, Happy Rock in Gladstone?

Earlier this summer, CBC’s Cost of Living looked at the economics of these giant roadside attractions — of which there are more than 1,500 in Canada — and the cost of keeping them.

Some are falling into disrepair — this is why public art funding is necessary, by the way, not just for construction, but maintenance — and some towns are weighing whether or not that money is better spent elsewhere.

The main character of the story: Tyra the Tyrannosaurus, the rather literal symbol of Drumheller, Alta., a.k.a. the Dinosaur Capital of the World since 2000, who could be facing extinction after the lease agreement between the town and the Drumheller and District Chamber of Commerce ends in 2029.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 3 minute read Preview

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 3 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

To this day, I still remember the morning polar plunges into Moose Lake — a cold shock to the system meant to wake campers up before the sun hit its peak.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Wooed by wood, Cedarella founder takes pride in handcrafted designs

David Sanderson 8 minute read Preview

Wooed by wood, Cedarella founder takes pride in handcrafted designs

David Sanderson 8 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Marina Bulan is the founder of Cedarella, a two-year-old venture that turns out eye-catching wood products such as jewelry, kitchen decor, children’s toys and, most recently, metre-high outdoor planters that double as home street-number indicators.

Ahead of immigrating to Winnipeg a decade ago from their native Russia, Bulan and her partner thought it would be prudent to conduct some research on their soon-to-be new home, a city they knew next to nothing about.

Imagine their surprise as they were viewing the 2007 surrealist film My Winnipeg, which comically blends historical facts about our burg with what Winnipeg-born writer/director Guy Maddin has termed “mystical hypothesizing.”

(For instance, there is no proof that, as reported in the award-winning flick, Winnipeg is the sleepwalking capital of the world, and that residents keep keys to their former abodes on their person in the event they turn up there during a bout of somnambulism.)

Read
6:00 AM CDT