Iconic Thunderbird restaurant set to take flight once more

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Ten months after closing its doors, an iconic Winnipeg restaurant is set to reopen this spring.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Ten months after closing its doors, an iconic Winnipeg restaurant is set to reopen this spring.

The Thunderbird Restaurant at 1970 McPhillips St. announced its return in a series of social media posts earlier this month, promising the same food and atmosphere it became known for after John Ginakes and his brothers, Jimmy and Perry, opened the doors in 1961.

A group of restaurateurs headed by Mahak Mahajan and former Johnny G’s owner John Giannakis is leasing the restaurant, said Peter Ginakes, John Ginakes’ son and a spokesperson for the family. John Ginakes, now an octogenarian, is also a shareholder in the enterprise.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                The Thunderbird Restaurant at 1970 McPhillips St. closed last June for unspecified reasons. A series of social media posts earlier this month announced the restaurant would be reopening.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

The Thunderbird Restaurant at 1970 McPhillips St. closed last June for unspecified reasons. A series of social media posts earlier this month announced the restaurant would be reopening.

One of the social media posts announcing the reopening garnered more than 240 comments, with many people expressing their appreciation for the restaurant and excitement at the thought of eating there again.

The feedback has been heartening, Peter Ginakes said on Friday.

“We served a lot of people over the (years),” he said. “There’s a lot of people that have memories of the place and I think that’s why it resonates that we’re bringing it back. People don’t like losing these things.”

“There’s a lot of people that have memories of the place and I think that’s why it resonates that we’re bringing it back. People don’t like losing these things.”

John operated the diner with his wife, Gloria, for decades. He was known for his signature Thunderburger, Greek salads and breakfast spreads.

Meanwhile, the restaurant’s towering, yellow-and-red, T-shaped signage became a local landmark.

John retired in 2013, and leased the space to tenants to keep the restaurant going. (The family kept possession of the building, which is now managed by Niata Enterprises, owned by Peter Ginakes.)

The tenants closed the restaurant last June for unspecified reasons. Ginakes said his family didn’t want to see the business end.

“We think that there (is) another chapter to be written about the Thunderbird.”

The family was approached by a number of people who were interested in taking over the restaurant, many of whom had one condition.

“A lot of them wouldn’t do it unless my dad was involved, unless he was there getting them back up and running and introducing them to the people that he knew and getting them on track with the same food that we used to put out,” Ginakes said. “So my dad, at 87, said yes.”

“It was a place where everybody was welcome. It didn’t matter if you’re wealthy, famous or an ordinary person.”

The new tenants are renovating the restaurant. John is assisting with the menu and teaching staff how to prepare the food.

“It’s going to be very similar to what we had it as,” Ginakes said. “It’s got a storied history, you know? … It was a place where everybody was welcome. It didn’t matter if you’re wealthy, famous or an ordinary person.”

The Thunderbird’s architecture, simple food and the memories people created there have made it a beloved diner, said Shaun Jeffrey, executive director and CEO of the Manitoba Restaurant & Foodservices Association.

“It’s absolutely amazing to see an icon like that reopen,” he said.

It’s positive news at a time when Canada’s restaurant industry is facing mounting financial pressure, Jeffrey added. “When local hospitality icons like the Giankes family reinitiate a restaurant like this, it does bring some great morale to the industry as a whole.”

The Thunderbird will reopen in three to four weeks, Ginakes said.

aaron.epp@freepress.mb.ca

Aaron Epp

Aaron Epp
Reporter

Aaron Epp reports on business for the Free Press. After freelancing for the paper for a decade, he joined the staff full-time in 2024. Read more about Aaron.

Every piece of reporting Aaron produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Canada is preparing to hit the U.S. with dollar-for-dollar tariffs in response to new 50 per cent duties on $28 billion worth of Canadian products that took effect when talks between the two nations collapsed as negotiations neared the finish line. 

Prime Minister Mark Carney was quiet publicly during the final days of negotiations, but now has now explained his rationale for telling the Canadian negotiating team, led by Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette, to leave the table.

Restrictions on further trade deals

"The U.S. Introduced at the last hours, in the last hours, efforts to restrict our ability to have other trade deals. You heard me say a moment ago, what we've accomplished in the past year, 20 new deals, economic and security partnerships, the prospect of doubling our market access because we believe in free trade. We're the partner of choice in many respects for countries around the world and the Americans wanted to restrict that. They had language that what they wanted to restrict that, unacceptable," Carney said during a press conference on Parliament Hill.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

Iconic Thunderbird restaurant set to take flight once more

Aaron Epp 4 minute read Preview

Iconic Thunderbird restaurant set to take flight once more

Aaron Epp 4 minute read Friday, Apr. 17, 2026

The famous restaurant at 1970 McPhillips St. announced its return in a series of social media posts earlier this month, promising the same food and atmosphere it became known for after it opened its doors in 1961.

Read
Friday, Apr. 17, 2026

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read Preview

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Could you imagine a Canada without Mr. PG repping Prince George, B.C.? Or the Big Nickel in Sudbury? Or, my personal favourite, Happy Rock in Gladstone?

Earlier this summer, CBC’s Cost of Living looked at the economics of these giant roadside attractions — of which there are more than 1,500 in Canada — and the cost of keeping them.

Some are falling into disrepair — this is why public art funding is necessary, by the way, not just for construction, but maintenance — and some towns are weighing whether or not that money is better spent elsewhere.

The main character of the story: Tyra the Tyrannosaurus, the rather literal symbol of Drumheller, Alta., a.k.a. the Dinosaur Capital of the World since 2000, who could be facing extinction after the lease agreement between the town and the Drumheller and District Chamber of Commerce ends in 2029.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Preview

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Manitoba’s provincial health authority is looking for its fourth chief financial officer since 2023 and additional replacements after the recent departures of three executives.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

From Lars-Erik Sjoberg to Thomas Steen to Viggo Bjorck, there’s no shortage of Swedish athletes who have quickly become fan favourites here in Winnipeg.

Daniel Svard is hoping to add his name to the growing list.

Although he wields a golf club and not a hockey stick, the 23-year-old from Stockholm is opening plenty of eyes this week at Elmhurst. He carries a two-shot lead into Sunday’s final round of the Manitoba Open, looking to close out his first professional victory in his just his fourth career tournament.

Svard fired a six-under 66 on Saturday to move to 14-under through 54 holes of the PGA Tour Americas event.

Read
Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT