How Congo is battling an Ebola outbreak complicated by aid cuts, armed rebels and anger

Advertisement

Advertise with us

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Attacks on Ebola treatment centers in eastern Congo underscore the serious challenges authorities face — including a backlash in local communities — as they try to stem an outbreak of the infectious disease that has been declared a global health emergency.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Attacks on Ebola treatment centers in eastern Congo underscore the serious challenges authorities face — including a backlash in local communities — as they try to stem an outbreak of the infectious disease that has been declared a global health emergency.

On Sunday, Congolese authorities said suspected cases have now passed 900 in the east of the country, mainly in Ituri Province, where the ongoing outbreak is centered. Later Sunday night, angry young men stormed a hospital treating Ebola patients in the town of Mongbwalu in Ituri, the hospital’s director said.

The attackers demanded that two bodies of their kin be handed over to them, Dr. Richard Lokudu said. Medical staff scrambled to evacuate the patients as gunfire rang out in the area; it was not immediately known if anyone was hurt in the melee.

Sanitation workers from Bunia city government spray disinfectant in the central market area near a rubbish truck in Ituri province, as they continue efforts to combat the Ebola outbreak in Bunia, Congo, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Moses Sawasawa)
Sanitation workers from Bunia city government spray disinfectant in the central market area near a rubbish truck in Ituri province, as they continue efforts to combat the Ebola outbreak in Bunia, Congo, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Moses Sawasawa)

The hospital attack and the arson at two health centers last week at he heart of the outbreak exposed the anger in a region beset by violence linked to armed rebel groups, the displacement of a large number of people, the failure of local government and international aid cuts that experts say have stripped health facilities in vulnerable communities.

“A devastating set of emergencies are converging,” said the Physicians for Human Rights nonprofit.

Here’s a look at the longstanding crises in eastern Congo that have made it home to one of the world’s worst humanitarian disasters, and how they are now affecting the response to a rare type of Ebola:

The region is constantly threatened by violence

Eastern Congo has for years seen attacks by dozens of separate rebel and militant groups, some of them with links to foreign countries or the extremist Islamic State group.

The Rwanda-backed M23 rebels are in control of parts of the region. While the Congolese government still largely controls the northeastern Ituri Province, the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak, that control is tenuous. The Allied Democratic Forces, a Ugandan Islamist group linked to IS, is one of the dominant rebel groups there and responsible for violent attacks against civilian targets.

Before the outbreak, Doctors Without Borders said in an assessment that the insecurity in Ituri had worsened recently, causing doctors and nurses to flee and leaving overwhelmed health facilities and in some parts, “catastrophic conditions.”

Ebola cases soar in Ituri, where nearly a million people are displaced

The U.N. humanitarian office says almost a million people have been displaced from their homes by conflict in Ituri.

That means this Ebola outbreak is “unfolding in communities already facing insecurity, displacement and fragile health care systems,” said Gabriela Arenas, a regional coordinator at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

There are concerns the disease might spread to the large displacement camps near the city of Bunia, where the first cases were reported.

The Congolese Ministry of Communication said on X on Sunday that there were 904 suspected cases of Ebola, mostly in Ituri — a significant jump from the previously announced more than 700 suspected Ebola cases.

The ministry also said the total suspected Ebola deaths stood at 119, but the numbers it released separately for each region added up to 220. Officials could not immediately be reached to explain the discrepancy.

Cases have also been reported in two other eastern provinces, North Kivu and South Kivu, where the M23 rebels are in control, and also in the neighboring country of Uganda.

As a result, the outbreak in Congo is being managed by the government and in part by rebel authorities, with an array of aid agencies also helping.

Aid cuts were devastating for eastern Congo

Health experts say international aid cuts last year by the United States and other rich nations were devastating for eastern Congo because of its multiple problems.

A woman mourns an Ebola victim as the coffin is take away for burial, at Sofepadi Hospital in Bunia, Congo, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Moses Sawasawa)
A woman mourns an Ebola victim as the coffin is take away for burial, at Sofepadi Hospital in Bunia, Congo, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Moses Sawasawa)

The cuts “reduced the capacity to detect and respond to infectious disease outbreaks,” said Thomas McHale, public health director at Physicians for Human Rights. Congo has had more than a dozen previous Ebola outbreaks.

Aid groups fighting this outbreak on the ground say they don’t have the equipment they need, such as face shields and suits to protect health workers from infection, testing kits, and body bags and other materials needed to safely bury the bodies of victims, which can be highly contagious.

“We have made requests to different partners, but we have not yet really received anything,” said Julienne Lusenge, president of Women’s Solidarity for Inclusive Peace and Development, an aid group operating a small hospital near Bunia.

“We only have hand sanitizer and a few masks for the nurses,” she said.

The Bundibugyo type of Ebola virus responsible for the outbreak has no approved vaccine or treatment.

Health and aid workers also face anger from local communities

Colin Thomas-Jensen, director of impact at the Aurora Humanitarian Initiative, said the attacks on health facilities treating Ebola may reflect the “built-in skepticism and anger” of people in eastern Congo over how the region has been treated, with years of violence from foreign-linked rebel groups and a failure of the government and international peacekeepers to protect them.

Another source of anger has been the strict protocols around the burial of suspected victims of Ebola, which authorities are taking charge of wherever they can to prevent further spread of the disease in traditional burials — when families prepare the bodies and people gather for a funeral.

Authorities in northeastern Congo have now banned funeral wakes and gatherings of more than 50 people, and armed soldiers and police are guarding some burials carried out by aid workers.

___

Imray reported from Cape Town, South Africa. Associated Press writers Mark Banchereau and Wilson McMakin in Dakar, Senegal, contributed to this report.

___

More AP coverage of the Ebola outbreak: https://apnews.com/hub/ebola-virus

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Canada is preparing to hit the U.S. with dollar-for-dollar tariffs in response to new 50 per cent duties on $28 billion worth of Canadian products that took effect when talks between the two nations collapsed as negotiations neared the finish line. 

Prime Minister Mark Carney was quiet publicly during the final days of negotiations, but now has now explained his rationale for telling the Canadian negotiating team, led by Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette, to leave the table.

Restrictions on further trade deals

"The U.S. Introduced at the last hours, in the last hours, efforts to restrict our ability to have other trade deals. You heard me say a moment ago, what we've accomplished in the past year, 20 new deals, economic and security partnerships, the prospect of doubling our market access because we believe in free trade. We're the partner of choice in many respects for countries around the world and the Americans wanted to restrict that. They had language that what they wanted to restrict that, unacceptable," Carney said during a press conference on Parliament Hill.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Preview

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Manitoba’s provincial health authority is looking for its fourth chief financial officer since 2023 and additional replacements after the recent departures of three executives.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Quick quotes: Here’s what people are saying about the Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 10 minute read Preview

Quick quotes: Here’s what people are saying about the Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 10 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:04 PM CDT

OTTAWA - The United States imposed 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars worth of Canadian exports Saturday, after the two countries failed to reach a new trade deal before an extended deadline imposed by President Donald Trump earlier in the week.

In response, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Canada will retaliate with matching dollar-for-dollar tariffs. Carney also suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Here's what people are saying in response: 

——— 

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:04 PM CDT

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT