First week at supervised drug consumption site issue-free: premier

Advertisement

Advertise with us

There were no issues to report after the first week of operations for Manitoba’s first supervised drug consumption site, Premier Wab Kinew said Tuesday.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

There were no issues to report after the first week of operations for Manitoba’s first supervised drug consumption site, Premier Wab Kinew said Tuesday.

The Winnipeg space, operating temporarily out of the fenced-off parking lot at 366 Henry Ave. while the adjacent building, which is to become the permanent site, undergoes renovations, opened Aug. 11.

Opening the long-awaited supervised consumption facility was a 2023 NDP election promise to keep people alive in the midst of a toxic street-drug crisis.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
The supervised consumption site opened last week.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

The supervised consumption site opened last week.

Kinew said the facility, which is being run by the Aboriginal Health and Wellness Centre for the province, had quietly served at least 125 clients as of earlier in the week.

“My hope is that — for all of the media attention and controversy and whatever that people have tried to kick up around this — now that it’s open, it just fades into the background and becomes another part of our health-care system where people with severe, problematic substance-use issues can just go and get their health-care needs attended to,” he said.

The media attention and widespread opposition required the province to establish a site that works, the premier said at an unrelated event.

“Controversy doesn’t help the delivery of health care but maybe, in this case, it’s made us be very thorough about designing a new aspect for accessing primary care and addictions medicine in Manitoba,” he said.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES