Nasty, poisonous plant causes burns, blindness

Aggressive species could spread across Canada

Advertisement

Advertise with us

It sounds like something out of a horror movie, but it's real, it's alive, and it's been spotted in southwestern Ontario, British Columbia, Quebec and the East Coast.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/07/2010 (5867 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

It sounds like something out of a horror movie, but it’s real, it’s alive, and it’s been spotted in southwestern Ontario, British Columbia, Quebec and the East Coast.

Could giant hogweed, a nasty and highly toxic plant that can cause chemical-like burns and permanent blindness, be on its way here?

So far, there have been no confirmed giant hogweed plants in Manitoba, said Invasive Species Council of Manitoba co-ordinator Cheryl Heming. That doesn’t mean there won’t be. "There is a possibility it could come here, and that’s why we’re on the alert," Heming said on Monday. "The usual format for invasive species is, a lot will come into southern Ontario or southern B.C., and given the ability to spread these species would come here afterwards."

HANDOUT PHOTO
Nasty, poisonous plant threatens to spread across Canada.
HANDOUT PHOTO Nasty, poisonous plant threatens to spread across Canada.

The towering plant — stalks can grow up to five metres tall — originally hails from the Caucasus region and Central Asia. Over 100 years ago, it was brought to Europe and North America by well-meaning gardeners interested in its umbrellas of small white flowers. But the aggressive species has since run rampant in Great Britain and now threatens to spread across Canada.

Here’s why it’s bad: the plant’s watery sap, loaded with toxic chemicals called furocoumarins, binds to human skin in sunlight, causing itching, oozing pustules and black and purple scars that can take years to fade. If even a teensy amount of sap ends up in the eye, it can burn the cornea, causing temporary or permanent blindness.

To make matters worse, the furocoumarins in the sap can also cause cancer and birth defects. And that sap is found all over the plant, whose hollow reddish stalks are often sought by children as peashooters or play telescopes. And the plant loves moist areas with turned-up soil, such as ditches, roadsides and abandoned urban lots.

Since national media outlets began broadcasting news about the giant hogweed’s spread across Canada last week, the ISCM has received around 10 calls from people who thought they had spotted hogweed. Investigators were sent out to check but all the sightings turned out to be of a similar but much smaller species, cow parsnip, which is native to Manitoba. That plant is also toxic, though Heming notes that the risk of the public coming into contact with it is small.

Still, Heming urges the public to keep in touch with ISCM investigators. Last week the group posted a giant hogweed alert on its website, invasivespeciesmanitoba.com, to help spread the word. And if you see a plant that looks suspiciously like giant hogweed, don’t touch it: call the professionals. "It would be great if people reported species they’re concerned about, because then we can mobilize. That gives us an ability to do something about it," she said, noting the ISCM is readying a rapid-response program this year. "Our belief is that we like to stop the serious invasive species before they become widespread. That’s what early detection and rapid response is about."

Still, it won’t be easy to stamp out the plant’s spread. "The only real success stories in controlling (invasive species) is controlling them at the point they are discovered," said University of Manitoba environment professor David Walker, who studies their impact on ecosystems. "Once they get a foothold, it’s nearly impossible."

CNS
The diameter of the noxious plant’s stem.
CNS The diameter of the noxious plant’s stem.

It’s still not known if or when giant hogweed will flourish in Manitoba as it’s difficult to predict how a species will take to an ecosystem until it happens, Walker said. But he notes that if it does, it won’t be the first time a once-ornamental plant caused ecological, economic or health havoc. Dandelions and the dreaded weed purple loosestrife are also foreign plants brought over for gardens, he said.

"Most of the introductions we’ve had have been on purpose," Walker said. "People always want the newest flower in their garden. And a plant that may not be particularly invasive where it originally evolved, can become incredibly invasive… or not."

melissa.martin@freepress.mb.ca

Melissa Martin

Melissa Martin
Reporter-at-large

Melissa Martin reports and opines for the Winnipeg Free Press.

Every piece of reporting Melissa produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Dream season for Ponder who has yet to miss a cut on PGA Tour Americas

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Dream season for Ponder who has yet to miss a cut on PGA Tour Americas

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 8:13 PM CDT

He may not be a household name to average golf fans just yet, but that’s likely about to change rather quickly.

And local lovers of the sport might want to hurry down to Elmhurst this week to catch a glimpse of Thomas Ponder before he’s off to play where the grass is even greener. Or, at the very least, where the paycheques are much bigger.

Ponder enters this year’s Manitoba Open atop the PGA Tour Americas points list and is a virtual lock to, at the very least, earn promotion to the Korn Ferry Tour for 2027, which is awarded to the top 10 finishers.

A jump directly to the PGA Tour — the way recent Manitoba Open winners such as Hayden Springer and Johnny Keefer, and other competitors such as Neal Shipley and Michael Brennan, have made — wouldn’t be a huge surprise, either.

Read
Yesterday at 8:13 PM CDT

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Preview

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

More doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before but health-care challenges remain, Premier Wab Kinew says.

The province has added 4,725 net new health-care workers to the provincial system since the NDP won the October 2023 election, Kinew told reporters Tuesday.

The government’s total includes 370 doctors, 1,464 nurses, 2,152 health-care aides and 607 allied health professionals, a group that includes physiotherapists, dietitians, paramedics, medical lab technologists and others.

Kinew said more doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 12:09 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump announced late Tuesday a last-minute deal to delay new tariffs from slamming an array of Canadian products for three days.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in response there’s still important work to do.

"Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers and families," Carney said in a statement.

He said "substantial progress" has been made and Canada is focused on "building a stronger, more independent and more competitive economy at home."

Read
Updated: 12:09 AM CDT

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

An ambassador, a petition and 213,000 signatures

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

An ambassador, a petition and 213,000 signatures

Editorial 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

You have to admit, they have a point.

As of 7 a.m. on Monday, 209,909 Canadians had signed it. By 9:41 a.m., that number had reached 211,846. By 10:54 a.m., 213,124. And there are months left to sign.

It is an electronic petition to have the U.S. Ambassador to Canada, Pete Hoekstra, ousted and sent back to Trump’s America.

The reasons? Well, ambassadors are meant to represent the national positions of their governments and you could argue that Hoekstra is doing exactly that: his blunt pronouncements on things such as Canadian sovereignty sound very much like the words of one Donald Trump, President of the United States.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT