RWB apologizes to students victimized by ex-instructor who took, sold intimate photos

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet has apologized to students who were victims of a former dance instructor taking intimate photos of them.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/02/2022 (1648 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet has apologized to students who were victims of a former dance instructor taking intimate photos of them.

The RWB, in a one-page apology released Friday, said it acknowledges the photo sessions “were traumatizing for many students.

The photographer, former faculty member Bruce Monk, posted and sold some of the images online.

Former RWB instructor and photographer Bruce Monk (Ken Gigliotti / Winnipeg Free Press files)
Former RWB instructor and photographer Bruce Monk (Ken Gigliotti / Winnipeg Free Press files)

“As an internationally recognized centre for dance education, we were and are responsible for providing a safe and supportive environment for the training, housing, nurturing, and mentoring of these former students,” the statement read.

“The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is deeply sorry and regrets that the class members, all of whom were talented and vulnerable young people, were not protected as they should have been.”

The apology was part of the $10 million settlement the RWB agreed to pay last month in return for the dismissal of all claims against the ballet and Monk, who was let go shortly after the allegations were revealed in 2015.

The bulk of the money will go to the former students who were photographed by Monk in a private setting between 1984 and 2015.

The settlement was approved Friday by the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.

“We offer a heartfelt apology to all of the victims and those that have been impacted,” RWB artistic director and CEO Andre Lewis said in the statement.

“I commend former students for their bravery and courage in coming forward and telling their story, and I want them to know that we are 100 per cent committed to fostering training, working, and living environments that are safe and positive, and where every person feels valued and supported.”

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason
Reporter

Kevin Rollason was a general assignment reporter at the Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Impaired driving victim honoured

Morgan Modjeski 5 minute read Preview

Impaired driving victim honoured

Morgan Modjeski 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:16 PM CDT

Ten years after he was killed in a collision involving an impaired driver in 2016, Robbie Anderson’s name has been added to MADD Canada’s Manitoba Memorial honouring those killed in drunk and drug-impaired-related crashes.

His older brother Chris Anderson, was one of two dozen people who gathered at the Glen Eden Funeral Home and Cemetery in West St. Paul Saturday to remember their loved ones, 86 victims whose names are etched into the granite monument near the heart of the graveyard.

“It’s heavy,” said Anderson when asked what it was like to be part of the ceremony and see his brother’s name added. “It’s been something I’ve been thinking about for a while.”

Grateful for MADD’s work and its efforts to honour Robbie, who was 27 when he died, Anderson said his brother, represented the “absolute best of us.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:16 PM CDT

Proposed Transcona development — which could add 20,000 people — gets thumbs down from residents

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

Proposed Transcona development — which could add 20,000 people — gets thumbs down from residents

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Dozens of Winnipeggers fear plans to make way for up to 20,000 more people to live in south Transcona would dramatically alter their neighbourhood and tie hefty fees for new services to their property titles.

If city council adopts the proposed South Transcona secondary plan, all future development applications would need to conform to its goals. The affected area is located south of Dugald Road, north of St. Boniface Road, east of Plessis Road and west of Murdock Road.

Homeowner Virginia Page Jähne fears the plan could add a massive tab to the title of her 4.3-acre property to cover services required for the development.

“My main concern is that they are wanting to put $1.4 million onto my title to pay for this. Now, they say that I will not have to pay it unless I subdivide. But if a person comes by and wants to buy from me … and they see that $1.4 million … what’s the first thing (they’re) going to do?” said Page Jähne, in an interview.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

West Kildonan Industrial residents call for speed bumps after child hit by truck

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

West Kildonan Industrial residents call for speed bumps after child hit by truck

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 3:09 PM CDT

Residents in the West Kildonan Industrial neighbourhood are calling on the city to install speed bumps in their area after a child was hit and dragged by a vehicle Thursday.

Katelyn Bemister lives near the area where the child — who was hospitalized as a result of the incident and has been upgraded to stable condition — was struck. She says people frequently speed in the area.

“They’re going really fast, and they’re not really paying attention at all to the pedestrians in the area,” says Bemister.

In video supplied to the Free Press by a resident, the child can be seen riding a bike down a sidewalk along the 500 block of North Point Boulevard.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 3:09 PM CDT

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

MOON ALERT: There are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions today. The moon is in Libra.

ARIES (March 21-April 19)

The day is a mixed bag. For the most part, it’s romantic, friendly, congenial and a great time to socialize with others and enjoy playful activities with kids. Nevertheless, you might meet a real sourpuss or someone who is a wet blanket. Keep things light!

TAURUS (April 20-May 20)

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 4 minute read Preview

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 4 minute read 6:34 PM CDT

Chapter 1 of Winnipeg Sea Bears basketball was capped by hometown hero Chad Posthumus.

It was May 27, 2023, and the late, great centre out of River East Collegiate had a put-back basket off a Teddy Allen miss to give the Sea Bears a 90-85 victory over the Vancouver Bandits in Winnipeg’s inaugural game, in front of what was then a record crowd of 7,303.

So, on Saturday, it was rather poetic that Simon Hildebrandt — another Winnipegger and a player Posthumus used to mentor — was the one to put an exclamation mark on the franchise’s latest and greatest chapter.

Hildebrandt drilled a wide-open three in Target Score Time to crown the Sea Bears as the 2026 CEBL champions.

Read
6:34 PM CDT

HSC weapons scanners effective, needed at other hospitals: nurses union

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Preview

HSC weapons scanners effective, needed at other hospitals: nurses union

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Yesterday at 9:57 AM CDT

The AI weapons scanners at Health Sciences Centre have detected close to 2,000 items since they were installed at Manitoba’s largest hospital.

From March 6, 2025 to the beginning of this month, a total of 1,973 items had been flagged by the scanners and identified for further review, Shared Health said this week.

Knives, Swiss army knives and other multi-tools, drugs, alcohol, box cutters, syringes and other injection devices were detected, it said. The technology set up at entrances to the adult and children’s emergency rooms and the crisis response centre is designed to identify a wide range of objects that may require review under site safety protocols.

But Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson said the technology isn’t available everywhere at HSC, and a sawed-off rifle was discovered in the adult ER earlier this month.

Read
Yesterday at 9:57 AM CDT