The singing nurse goes to Vegas

Medical professionals belt it out at Healthcareoke

Advertisement

Advertise with us

It was a bit of a juggle, admits Nicolette Ahow.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/06/2023 (1153 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

It was a bit of a juggle, admits Nicolette Ahow.

The opthamology nurse would see to her children, then do her hair and makeup before doing chores around the house. Once everything was done and dusted, Ahow, 38, would head to the dining-room table, where she’d turn on the computer and wait patiently for her turn to sing.

Ahow, who works at Misericordia Health Centre, recently placed second at a singing competition for medical professionals, beating five others to take the runner-up spot. She was the only Canadian to made it through to the finals of Healthcareoke, a contest organized by Kumu, a Philippine-based entertainment social media app, and L.A.’s One Down media.

On competition days, she would get her sons — Ezra, 5, and Kai, 4 — ready for bed, then send them to their paternal grandparents’ house.

JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS 
                                Nicolette Ahow placed second at a singing competition for healthcare workers, held in Las Vegas. She was the only Canadian to make it to the finals.

JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Nicolette Ahow placed second at a singing competition for healthcare workers, held in Las Vegas. She was the only Canadian to make it to the finals.

“Then I would breastfeed my six-month-old baby, Koa, before my husband, Alan, would take him to my parents Connie and Jose’s place, just so there wasn’t crying or screaming while I was competing,” she says, laughing as she recounts her preparations.

Ahow says she decided to take part in the show after her oldest son encouraged her to. She had been scrolling on Instagram and saw a post advertising the competition.

“Ezra asked me, ‘Are you going to compete?’ That’s was what prompted me,” she says.

Ahow, who is currently on maternity leave, was chosen out of 36 contestants to go through to the semifinals, where she and seven others sang for a place in the finals, which took place on June 10 in Las Vegas. Her husband and Koa were in the audience, cheering her on.

“I sang a mash-up of On My Own and Don’t Rain on My Parade. When I knew I was being sent to Vegas, I thought to myself, ‘I am going all the way there, I am not just singing one song.’ I wanted to make the most of it,” she explains.

“When I knew I was being sent to Vegas, I thought to myself, ‘I am going all the way there, I am not just singing one song.’ I wanted to make the most of it.”–Nicolette Ahow

Ahow rehearsed tirelessly once her children had gone to bed, and plotted out a narrative to accompany her songs.

“I tried to make a bang. I did a story, with a transition and an outfit change. You’re in Vegas — you gotta go big or go home,” she says.

Ahow first started singing at eight, when, at a party at her aunt’s house, she picked up a karaoke mic and belted out a song by Tony-winning Filipina performer Lea Salonga. Not long afterwards her mother bought Ahow her own machine and sent her to Winnipeg singing coach Joy Lazo for lessons.

She always had an affinity for performing onstage, and started auditioning for musicals when she was in Grade 6.

After completing high school, she went on to study business before deciding to pursue musical theatre and film. In her 20s she performed at Rainbow Stage, before moving to Toronto. She landed roles at the Stratford Festivaland was also part of the Vancouver Arts Club.

“It’s so competitive in Toronto and I was dealing with a lot of pressure. Stage anxiety was starting to build and it just got worse and worse. It was taking a toll on me.” –Nicolette Ahow

“I tried to pursue it as a career in my early 20s, along with film,” she says.

“But it’s so competitive in Toronto and I was dealing with a lot of pressure. Stage anxiety was starting to build and it just got worse and worse. It was taking a toll on me.”

She moved back to Winnipeg to study nursing and graduated in 2013. In 2015, she decided to start auditioning again, but found her stage anxiety had escalated.

“I thought, ‘I want to have fun when I am doing this; I want to feel comfortable.’ I also got engaged that year and I knew I wanted to build a family,” Ahow says. “My priorities changed and it all became too stressful, so I pushed performing to the side.”

Placing second at Healthcareoke came as a surprise; she hadn’t thought she would even make it to Vegas. The result has imbued her with more confidence and a desire to explore the arts again.

“Part of me was uncertain — when you don’t perform for so long, you are trying to figure out how you can fit in, if you still have it. I kept asking myself: Am I able to do the things I used to do onstage?”

She’s got her answer now. Her self-belief has grown in leaps and bounds; she has been sending out audition tapes for films, and while she has no concrete plans for the future, she would like to perform again.

She says she has a handle on her anxiety but accepts that it’s part of her life.

“I think to a certain extent it will always be there. That’s why I am very picky with what I decide to pursue,” she says. “Because it’s always present in my body, but knowing I have the power to decide is what will make it fun for for again. Doing it on my own terms.”

av.kitching@winnipegfreepress.com

AV Kitching

AV Kitching
Reporter

AV Kitching is an arts and life writer at the Free Press. She has been a journalist for more than two decades and has worked across three continents writing about people, travel, food, and fashion. Read more about AV.

Every piece of reporting AV produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read Preview

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:19 AM CDT

It was a microcosm of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ season to this point: a first half that burned bright only to be doused in cold water.

The Bombers began the first leg of their mid-season gauntlet with a 22-19 loss to the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium in the Alberta capital on Friday night.

Elks quarterback Cody Fajardo orchestrated an eight-play, 54-yard drive that set up a 40-yard game-winning field goal by Vincent Blanchard that snuck inside the left upright with zeros on the clock.

The drive, which was plagued by poor tackling by the Bombers defence, came after Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo tied the game at 19-19 on a 53-yard boot with 1:41 remaining in the contest.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:19 AM CDT

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 3:46 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Mark Carney says retaliatory tariffs will hit the U.S. starting next month after Canada walked away from what he called a "bad deal."

The U.S. introduced new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports on Saturday after trade talks failed.

"We got attacked," Carney told reporters on Parliament Hill Saturday when asked about the escalating trade war.

Carney suspended talks with the United States late Friday and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 3:46 PM CDT

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Let it be known that when Canada’s provinces and alcohol industries needed a defender, Canada’s first First Nations provincial premier was their greatest warrior.

This is, admittedly, a provocative opening line — referencing historical and cultural intersections and relying on a stereotype or two.

It’s impossible, however, not to see how important the nearly Canada-wide provincial-led ban on the sale of U.S. alcohol is to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.

It’s due to his stand on national matters like these that he’s become very popular — according to polls, the most popular premier in Canada — and has been empowered to take on the mantle of one of the captains of “Team Canada” on economic, political and domestic issues.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Canada is preparing to hit the U.S. with dollar-for-dollar tariffs in response to new 50 per cent duties on $28 billion worth of Canadian products that took effect when talks between the two nations collapsed as negotiations neared the finish line. 

Prime Minister Mark Carney was quiet publicly during the final days of negotiations, but now has now explained his rationale for telling the Canadian negotiating team, led by Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette, to leave the table.

Restrictions on further trade deals

"The U.S. Introduced at the last hours, in the last hours, efforts to restrict our ability to have other trade deals. You heard me say a moment ago, what we've accomplished in the past year, 20 new deals, economic and security partnerships, the prospect of doubling our market access because we believe in free trade. We're the partner of choice in many respects for countries around the world and the Americans wanted to restrict that. They had language that what they wanted to restrict that, unacceptable," Carney said during a press conference on Parliament Hill.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT