Sunday sellout helps folk fest reach second-highest attendance

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A Sunday sellout made the 2023 Winnipeg Folk Festival the second-most attended in its 48-year history.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/07/2023 (1138 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A Sunday sellout made the 2023 Winnipeg Folk Festival the second-most attended in its 48-year history.

The final-day lineup, which included the War on Drugs and Vance Joy as its headliners, brought 18,000 people to the festival’s venue at Birds Hill Provincial Park, forcing organizers to stop selling tickets for Sunday at 9:30 a.m.

The festival said its overall attendance was 74,500 for the four-day festival, up 500 from 2022, which had held the No. 2 spot.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                The folk festival said its overall attendance was 74,500 for the four-day festival, up 500 from 2022, which had held the No. 2 spot.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

The folk festival said its overall attendance was 74,500 for the four-day festival, up 500 from 2022, which had held the No. 2 spot.

The all-time festival attendance record is 76,000, which was set in 2019.

The number of fans pushed the festival’s infrastructure to its limits, leading to long lines for food and beverages, especially in the festival’s beer tent, as well as its many portable toilets.

In a Monday release, the festival said it had been monitoring how well the site and services provided could cope with the volume of people.

The 2023 event overcame some obstacles on its way to the strong attendance figures.

A thunderstorm on Thursday evening caused a one-hour delay that shortened local singer-songwriter William Prince’s early evening set.

On Saturday, the festival also had to make a late change to its mainstage lineup after Sierra Ferrell, the American country singer, announced she was cancelling a week’s worth of appearances, including at the folk fest.

Festival organizers turned to Winnipeg artist Boy Golden to fill her mainstage spot prior to Charley Crockett’s set.

Mike Thiessen / Winnipeg Free Press
                                Winnipeg’s Boy Golden stepped up to replace Sierra Farrell on Saturday’s mainstage.

Mike Thiessen / Winnipeg Free Press

Winnipeg’s Boy Golden stepped up to replace Sierra Farrell on Saturday’s mainstage.

The festival had already been forced to add Gregory Alan Isakov to Saturday’s schedule after Canadian cult-country singer Orville Peck announced in June he was taking time off from performing to address his mental health.

Also on Saturday evening, a STARS air ambulance landed near the folk festival’s campground to treat and airlift a 24-year-old man to Health Sciences Centre. He had suffered serious injuries in a propane barbecue accident.

The festival awarded its Glass Banjo Award to Lisa Sinnicks, its volunteer co-ordinator, and mainstage manager Lloyd Peterson. It also honoured 16 volunteers, whose service to the event ranged from 20 to 40 years.

Next year’s folk fest takes place July 11-14, 2024.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 8 minute read Preview

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 8 minute read Updated: 3:46 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Mark Carney says retaliatory tariffs will hit the U.S. starting next month after Canada walked away from what he called a "bad deal."

The U.S. introduced new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports on Saturday after trade talks failed.

"We got attacked," Carney told reporters on Parliament Hill Saturday when asked about the escalating trade war.

Carney suspended talks with the United States late Friday and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Read
Updated: 3:46 PM CDT

Sunday sellout helps folk fest reach second-highest attendance

Free Press staff 3 minute read Preview

Sunday sellout helps folk fest reach second-highest attendance

Free Press staff 3 minute read Tuesday, Jul. 11, 2023

A Sunday sellout made the 2023 Winnipeg Folk Festival the second-most attended in its 48-year history.

Read
Tuesday, Jul. 11, 2023

Zoo caring for orphaned polar bear cub

Tiago Resko 2 minute read Preview

Zoo caring for orphaned polar bear cub

Tiago Resko 2 minute read Yesterday at 1:57 PM CDT

The Assiniboine Park Zoo is caring for an orphaned polar bear cub that arrived from Churchill Thursday after conservation officers determined it was incapable of surviving on its own.

The officers found the bear’s dead mother.

Orphaned cubs have a high mortality rate, and a medical team was quickly sent to Churchill to support the cub’s initial needs, the zoo said in a media release.

The team arrived in Winnipeg late Thursday night.

Read
Yesterday at 1:57 PM CDT

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Some North End residents are concerned new community mailboxes will become a target for vandalism and crime after the base of one was recently lit ablaze — before it was even installed.

The community mailboxes started to show up on Andrews Street within the last two weeks. Some have been installed, while at other locations, only the concrete foundation is in place.

“They just dumped them on the boulevard,” said Stephen Giesbrecht, who lives beside one of the boxes in the St. John’s neighbourhood. “They dumped them on the corner and then they were gone.”

One of the concrete slabs has already played host to a fire and some of the hardware needed to install the mailbox melted.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT