Guess who’s auctioning off his guitar collection?

Randy Bachman set to sell more than 200 six-strings

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Randy Bachman is selling more than 200 guitars from his collection, including the axe he used to create the famous riff on American Woman.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/04/2024 (856 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Randy Bachman is selling more than 200 guitars from his collection, including the axe he used to create the famous riff on American Woman.

The 80-year-old former Winnipegger, who is a co-founder of the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive, has teamed up with Julien’s Auctions of Beverly Hills, Calif., for the sale, which will take place May 29 and 30 at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York.

Online bidding will also take place at juliensauctions.com, which will begin in early May.

“I have so many guitars I can’t play them (all) anymore,” Bachman says from his home near Victoria. “The last couple of years I had a couple of health issues where I thought I wasn’t going to be on this Earth very much longer and I said to my kids, ‘Who wants a guitar”’ and they said ‘We have enough guitars.’”

American Woman rose to No. 1 for the Guess Who in Canada and the United States after its release in March 1970 and its heavy guitar sound comes from a 1959 Les Paul Special Bachman bought in 1967 from a fan who brought it to a Guess Who gig in a Nanaimo, B.C. church basement.

It had been part of an exhibition of Bachman’s guitars at the National Music Centre in Calgary, which opened in 2016 and ended in February. Before that, it had been on display at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

Julien’s estimates its price as between US$200,000 and $400,000.

The auction house hasn’t inspected all the guitars Bachman wishes to sell, so it has provided no estimate on what the entire collection could earn once the auctioneer bangs the gavel the final time.

Supplied
Randy Bachman will auction off the Les Paul on which he wrote the riff to American Woman.

Supplied

Randy Bachman will auction off the Les Paul on which he wrote the riff to American Woman.

The guitarist got one last chance to jam with a few of his old favourites, including the American Woman guitar, for a video to promote the auction.

They brought back so many memories that he would have hung onto them if they only weren’t so heavy. The 65-year-old Les Paul axe weighs close to seven kilograms.

“The thing about those Les Pauls, there were three years of magic: 1958, ‘59 and ‘60. They used a certain kind of wood and a certain kind of glue. That stuff permeated the wood, all the pores, and then it petrified, so the guitars are very heavy. So heavy I couldn’t play it anymore. I played it for 20 years and screwed up my back,” Bachman says.

“(But) they’ve got a vibe that’s just magical.”

Supplied
This Harmony H1215 acoustic archtop is the first guitar Randy Bachman owned.

Supplied

This Harmony H1215 acoustic archtop is the first guitar Randy Bachman owned.

Also on the auction block will be the first guitar Bachman owned, a 1957 Harmony H1215 acoustic archtop guitar. He bought the sunburst-coloured instrument for $34.95; it is now estimated to be worth between US$600 and $800.

“I learned to play on it but you couldn’t hear me over the drummer, so I had to get an electric one,” he remembers. “That one broke in half and so I glued it with airplane glue.”

Bachman is also selling several acoustic guitars made by German and Dutch luthiers in the auction that are works of art, according to Laura Woolley, Julien’s managing director of consignments and appraisals.

Not for sale is the orange 1957 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins electric guitar he bought at Winnipeg Piano on Portage Avenue for $400 in 1964 that was stolen from his Toronto hotel room in 1977.

A forensics investigator used old film footage to search for the guitar, which turned up with Japanese guitarist Takeshi and Bachman traded an almost identical vintage orange Gretsch for his original during a Canada Day ceremony in Tokyo in 2022.

Julien’s, which describes itself as the “auction house of the stars,” has sold seven of the 12 priciest guitars in history, including the left-handed Martin D-18E used by Kurt Cobain during Nirvana’s 1993 MTV Unplugged in New York television special. It fetched a record US$6,010,000 in a 2020 auction.

Supplied
The 1959 Gibson Les Paul Special Bachman used to write American Woman is expected to fetch as much as US$400,000.

Supplied

The 1959 Gibson Les Paul Special Bachman used to write American Woman is expected to fetch as much as US$400,000.

Vintage guitars played on famous songs or owned by celebrities who are divesting their collections have become valuable commodities for collectors and investors.

In February, Mark Knopfler’s passel of 122 guitars and amplifiers earned more than US$11 million at a Christie’s sale in London.

He played a sunburst-coloured 1983 Gibson Les Paul Standard on Dire Straits’ 1985 hit Money for Nothing; it proved to be worth US$749,000 to the winning bidder.

”The first watershed moment for our business was the 1999 Eric Clapton sale he did for his charity. Blackie, which was his most famous guitar at that time, didn’t crash a million dollars,” Woolley says.

“Now we’re in a land where there are 12 guitars that have sold for seven figures.”

Bachman has kept about 100 guitars, so he’ll still have plenty to choose from when he leads BTO on tour later in 2024, which includes a Nov. 24 show supporting Heart at Winnipeg’s Canada Life Centre.

He has joined former bandmate Burton Cummings in a lawsuit against the Guess Who and co-founders Jim Kale and Garry Peterson, but he says the proceeds of the sale will go to his descendants, not legal bills.

“I have got eight kids, 26 grandkids and eight great-grandkids and you’re going to ask me what I’m going to do with the money?”

Alan.Small@winnipegfreepress.com

X: @AlanDSmall

Alan Small

Alan Small
Reporter

Alan Small was a journalist at the Free Press for more than 22 years in a variety of roles, the last being a reporter in the Arts and Life section.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

Demonstrators rallied at the Manitoba legislature Friday, calling the abuse and death of children in care a “state of emergency.”

“These things continue to happen,” said Donna Dumas, a former foster parent of a child with special needs.

She pointed to the Aug. 9 death of a four-year-old girl in care on Long Plain First Nation. Two of the girl’s sisters, aged one and two, were hospitalized with injuries. The children’s mother, who was at Friday’s rally, previously told the Free Press she was working to get her kids back in her care after they were apprehended in October 2025.

Family reunification advocate Cheryl Wozniak said the NDP government was expected to help return children to their families.

Summer flooding sinks some fall harvest hopes

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Summer flooding sinks some fall harvest hopes

Tiago Resko 4 minute read 7:08 PM CDT

A number of Manitoba farmers say they are expecting this year’s harvest to be one of the worst they’ve seen after major flooding decimated fields at the start of summer.

Bob Elliot, who has been farming east of Stonewall for 43 years, said he’s expecting the operation’s 5,500 acres to produce roughly half their normal yield.

Stonewall has logged the most precipitation this summer, with 523 millimetres of rainfall between May 1 and Aug. 16, according to Manitoba’s weather conditions report.

Elliot said the amount of rain has created a “unique” situation for farmers. “This is something that I don’t think anyone around here has ever seen.”

Read
7:08 PM CDT

Brandon’s Nachtigall comes up short of Canadian Mid-Am title

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read Preview

Brandon’s Nachtigall comes up short of Canadian Mid-Am title

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read 7:52 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall was about 12-feet away from making history.

But a slippery downhill birdie putt for the win on Friday afternoon in Ontario proved to be a bit too aggressive, leaving the 25-year-old Brandon golfer with a nervy comeback attempt that ultimately fell painfully short.

The resulting bogey, on the 72nd and final hole of play at the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur Championship, left him one shot behind playing partner Garrett Rank, who tapped in his par to claim victory.

“It kind of stings,” Nachtigall told the Free Press shortly after finishing up at the Brantford Golf & Country Club. “At the end of the day, second place in my first time playing this event and losing to a guy who’s now won it four times, I guess I’ll have to take it.”

Read
7:52 PM CDT

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026