Return to River City 56th Juno Awards brings the party back to Winnipeg in 2027

The Juno Awards are coming back to Winnipeg.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

The Juno Awards are coming back to Winnipeg.

The city has been selected to host the 56th edition of the Canadian music award show and its associated events from April 1 to 4, 2027. The Junos were previously held in Winnipeg in 2005 and 2014.

“Winnipeg has always been a city that has had an outsized musical influence,” said Allan Reid, president and CEO of the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS), which oversees the awards. “We are so excited to be back and we’re ready to build something truly extraordinary together.

“Get ready for the best Junos ever.”

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Allan Reid, president and CEO of the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences which oversees the Juno awards, announces that Winnipeg will host the 2027 Junos.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Allan Reid, president and CEO of the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences which oversees the Juno awards, announces that Winnipeg will host the 2027 Junos.

Event organizers, politicians, business leaders and members of the local music industry gathered at the Metropolitan Entertainment Centre Thursday night to celebrate the announcement. The evening included an impromptu harmonica solo from Al Simmons and a performance by Tataskweyak Cree Nation singer-songwriter Sebastian Gaskin, who is nominated for a Juno this year.

The awards are held in a different Canadian location each year. Winnipeg received the winning 2027 bid after delegates from CARAS, which oversees the Junos, visited the city during the Grey Cup festivities last fall.

“Get ready for the best Junos ever.”

“We showed them the capacity of downtown, the excitement, and I think they were quite impressed by that,” said Kenny Boyce, the City of Winnipeg’s manager of film and special events.

The city’s music industry and downtown landscape has grown significantly over the past 12 years, said Lynne Skromeda, CEO of Manitoba Film & Music.

When the Junos were here last — a ceremony hosted by rapper Classified and singer-songwriters Johnny Reid and Serena Ryder — the Canadian Museum for Human Rights had yet to open, True North Square was but a blueprint and The Forks market was awaiting redevelopment.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                The announcement event at the Metropolitan Entertainment Centre Thursday night kicked off with a prayer song.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

The announcement event at the Metropolitan Entertainment Centre Thursday night kicked off with a prayer song.

“We’ve evolved as a city. To be able to bring the country here to show off what we can do, not only in terms of our music scene, but also how we celebrate as a city, is a massive opportunity,” Skromeda said.

Skromeda and Boyce are co-chairs of the Junos host committee and say Winnipeggers can expect plenty of fun leading up to the televised April 4 awards show, which will take place at Canada Life Centre.

“It’s one of the best parties,” said Boyce, who helped organize both of Winnipeg’s past Juno events.

Juno Week will include concerts from legendary and emerging musicians, as well as songwriter showcases, children’s entertainment, Indigenous programming and a gala at the RBC Convention Centre for the non-televised awards, said Boyce.

Many details, including who will host the 2027 award show, are yet to be decided.

For Manitoba musicians, who often have to travel elsewhere for networking events, the Junos are a chance to mingle with national record labels, agencies and promoters.

“The Junos tend to be the centre of business for the music industry; the entire music industry comes from across the country to gather,” Skromeda said.

Venues, restaurants, hotels and other local businesses are also set to benefit from the event, which can generate as much as $17 million in economic impact for the host city.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Allan Reid, CARAS president and CEO, left, shakes hands with Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew on Thursday at the announcement event.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Allan Reid, CARAS president and CEO, left, shakes hands with Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew on Thursday at the announcement event.

On Thursday, Premier Wab Kinew announced $1.5 million in provincial support for the event and commented on the importance of music during an era of international conflicts and political upheaval.

“Who’s going to stand up and turn things around and mess things up for the better? I firmly believe it’s going to be the artists,” Kinew said.

“We know that events like this have such a positive impact on the economy with visitors to local businesses, restaurants and filling hotel rooms, it’s going to be such a great, great time,” said Mayor Scott Gillingham, who started his remarks by quoting Magic Power by Triumph at length.

Skromeda and Boyce are heading to Hamilton, Ont., later this month to do some reconnaissance and cheer on local nominees during the 2026 Junos.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Winnipeg Mayor Scott Gillingham:

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Winnipeg Mayor Scott Gillingham: "It’s going to be such a great, great time."

Six Manitoba-born artists/groups and music professionals hold nominations this year: Begonia (adult alternative album of the year), Gaskin (contemporary Indigenous artist of the year), William Prince (contemporary roots album of the year), the Winnipeg Jazz Orchestra (jazz album of the year), Hayley Gene Penner (non-performing songwriter of the year) and Karen Kosowski (Jack Richardson producer of the year).

The televised awards show, hosted by comedian-actor Mae Martin (Feel Good), airs live on March 29 at 7 p.m. on CBC.

winnipegfreepress.com/evawasney

If you value coverage of Manitoba’s arts scene, help us do more.
Your contribution of $10, $25 or more will allow the Free Press to deepen our reporting on theatre, dance, music and galleries while also ensuring the broadest possible audience can access our arts journalism.
BECOME AN ARTS JOURNALISM SUPPORTER Click here to learn more about the project.

Eva Wasney

Eva Wasney
Reporter

Eva Wasney has been a reporter with the Free Press Arts & Life department since 2019. Read more about Eva.

Every piece of reporting Eva produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Thursday, March 12, 2026 6:52 PM CDT: Adds fresh photos

Updated on Thursday, March 12, 2026 8:24 PM CDT: Updates captions

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Preview

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

The Conservative Party of Canada has a troll problem. And it’s coming from inside the tent.

Once, trolls existed only in imagination. They were figures of mythical proportion, big and small. They lived solitary lives under bridges, in caves, or forests. They were considered dim-witted and mean. Best avoided.

Today, they are real, unavoidable, and ubiquitous on social media. They are anything but solitary. There are tribes of them out there and tribal is how they think and post. As for dim-witted and mean, others can opine but they are uniformly mean and dismissive.

Mean to anyone who disagrees with their views. Dismissive of any view but their own. They distribute questionable, at best, facts and opinions grounded in hostility towards anything or anyone deemed disagreeable or heretical to their world view.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read Preview

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Could you imagine a Canada without Mr. PG repping Prince George, B.C.? Or the Big Nickel in Sudbury? Or, my personal favourite, Happy Rock in Gladstone?

Earlier this summer, CBC’s Cost of Living looked at the economics of these giant roadside attractions — of which there are more than 1,500 in Canada — and the cost of keeping them.

Some are falling into disrepair — this is why public art funding is necessary, by the way, not just for construction, but maintenance — and some towns are weighing whether or not that money is better spent elsewhere.

The main character of the story: Tyra the Tyrannosaurus, the rather literal symbol of Drumheller, Alta., a.k.a. the Dinosaur Capital of the World since 2000, who could be facing extinction after the lease agreement between the town and the Drumheller and District Chamber of Commerce ends in 2029.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 3 minute read Preview

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 3 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

To this day, I still remember the morning polar plunges into Moose Lake — a cold shock to the system meant to wake campers up before the sun hit its peak.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Ready to crack over late-night ‘snacks’

Maureen Scurfield 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My new love has a seriously annoying habit that could break us up now that we’re actually living together.

I’m not getting much sleep, and it has nothing to do with having too much sex! Every night at about 2 a.m., my man gets up and goes to the fridge, makes a giant sandwich and pours a huge glass of apple juice, then sits there scarfing it down, with music on for a bit of entertainment. This often wakes me up, and when I complain he just invites me to join him “for a bite.”

Really? The last thing I need is to eat a fourth meal of the day in the middle of the night. He says it’s an old habit from his football days, when he was so hungry all the time and he still enjoys it. He says he isn’t about to change that for me, so, tough luck.

It’s a big problem as I can’t just fall back to sleep after he rattles around the kitchen and then comes back and jumps back into bed with me.