ESPN to have most Euro matches called from Bristol studio

Advertisement

Advertise with us

NEW YORK (AP) — Jon Champion has had to adjust to broadcasting soccer off a television screen during the pandemic.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/05/2021 (1920 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

NEW YORK (AP) — Jon Champion has had to adjust to broadcasting soccer off a television screen during the pandemic.

ESPN will have just one of five commentary crews on site for the European Championship, sending Britain-based Ian Darke and Stewart Robson to some of the eight matches at Wembley in London while calling up to 43 games from its studios in Bristol, Connecticut, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Champion will be paired with Taylor Twellman in Bristol and will work nine group-stage matches, up from an original six.

“It’s a bit like putting a straightjacket on really in terms of what you can do,” Champion said Tuesday. “You never quite trust what you’re seeing on a TV screen in the same way that you trust what you’re seeing with your own eyes.

“And that manifests itself particularly in the calling of goals, because if you have, say, a cross from the right-hand side and three players go up to try to hit the ball and one of them makes contact and the goal is scored, if you’re there at the stadium, part of your skill and preparation as a match announcer is being able to identify in an instant who scored, but if you’re seeing it on a TV monitor, it’s less distinct and you might be 80% certain.”

For the 2016 Euros in France, ESPN called 28 matches on site and 23 from Bristol.

Champion was paired with Robson at the 2014 World Cup and 2016 European Championship, and they originally had been slated to work together again.

Darke was paired with both Steve McManaman and Twellman at the 2014 World Cup and 2016 European Championship.

Since moving to the U.S. from Britain and going to work for ESPN full time in 2019, Champion has been paired with Twellman as ESPN’s top team for Major League Soccer telecasts, and the pair have broadcast the FA Cup and League Cup finals for ESPN. They will broadcast the opening match between Italy and Turkey on June 11.

“Hopefully, if quarantine regulations ease, we’ll head to Europe ahead of the quarterfinals,” Champion said.

MLS matches last season and this have been called from the studio. Champion hopes the announcer teams will return to MLS stadiums after the Euros.

“The vast majority of my career has always been on site at the stadium, which is how I like it. That’s the real appeal of the job — being there. So this has just been needs must really for the last year,” Champion said.

“It’s immensely frustrating because you don’t have that wider picture. You only have what the match director serves you. So you can’t really see the pattern of the game or the work off the ball developing. You can’t see if two players square up to each other and are trading punches 50 yards off the ball. And then you’ve also got the added mystery of the VAR, because the authorities are so reluctant to let the wider public, including we broadcasters, into the inner secrets of VAR,” or Video Assistant Referee.

ESPN’s other crews for the Euros are Derek Rae and Efan Ekoku, Steve Cangialosi and Alejandro Moreno, and Mark Donaldson and Matteo Bonetti.

Rather than award the Euros to one or two nations, the Union of European Football Associations made the decision in 2012 to split this year’s tournament among many nations. It will be played through July 11 in Amsterdam; Baku, Azerbaijan; Bucharest, Romania; Budapest, Hungary; Copenhagen, Denmark; Glasgow, Scotland; London; Munich; Rome; St. Petersburg, Russia; and Seville, Spain.

The games will be split among ABC, ESPN and ESPN2. Univision has U.S. Spanish-language rights through its TUDN sports division.

This year’s Euros, delayed a year by the pandemic, will overlap the time period of the Copa America from June 13 to July 10. In addition, the CONCACAF Gold Cup is from July 10 to Aug. 1.

Fox has U.S. English-language rights to the Copa América and the Gold Cup, and Univision has U.S. Spanish-language rights to both.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read 11:56 AM CDT

A Winnipeg firefighter was assessed by paramedics and an emergency demolition was ordered after a vacant house caught fire Thursday morning for the second time in less than three months.

The two-storey home, at Argyle Street and Disraeli Freeway, in South Point Douglas, was boarded up following a blaze that occurred June 1.

Firefighters returned to the house after flames were reported shortly after 6 a.m. Thursday. The house was engulfed when crews arrived.

“Due to heavy fire conditions, crews were unable to enter the structure,” a Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service spokesperson wrote in an email to the Free Press.

Read
11:56 AM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Letters, Aug. 20

6 minute read Preview

Letters, Aug. 20

6 minute read Updated: 9:00 AM CDT

I scrolled through the comment section of the online news story, my eyes darting through differing opinions until I landed on one that caught my attention. I felt my shoulders tense and my breath quicken as I read the fiery thoughts of a stranger. Surely, there must be a better way to read the news?

Read
Updated: 9:00 AM CDT

Legal aid underfunding violates Charter, lawsuit claims

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Legal aid underfunding violates Charter, lawsuit claims

Free Press staff 2 minute read 12:25 PM CDT

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is taking the provincial and federal government to court, alleging that decades of underfunding for criminal legal aid violates Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

“Whether you are rich or poor should never determine whether you are found guilty of a crime,” Shakir Rahim, co-counsel in the case and director of the CCLA criminal justice program, said in a news release.

“Legal aid is supposed to protect that principle, ensuring that every person receives adequate legal representation.”

Funding for legal aid is woefully insufficient and has been for decades, the non-profit organization said.

Read
12:25 PM CDT