Schur forges ahead despite heart attack

Advertisement

Advertise with us

You can never accuse Winnipeg musical maven Danny Schur of not putting his heart into his work.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/10/2019 (2500 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

You can never accuse Winnipeg musical maven Danny Schur of not putting his heart into his work.

He has been striving for years to realize the dream of getting a movie made of his signature piece Strike! The Musical. Finally, the movie based on the play — titled Stand! — will open Nov. 29 at more than 24 Cineplex screens across Canada, including Scotiabank Theatre at Polo Park and McGillivray Cinemas in Winnipeg).

Schur is all the more excited at the prospect because he came perilously close to missing it after suffering a heart attack last month.

Apart from being a composer and film/theatre producer, Schur, 53, is also a self-described “freelance goalie.”

“I mostly play pickup with whomever asks, on a daily basis,” he said.

Schur was on net duty at Sam Southern Arena on the afternoon of Sept. 30 — “One of my two regular skates” — when he started suffering serious chest pains. He collapsed.

“I had a 90 per cent blockage,” Schur said, referring to an artery in his heart. Though he has some family history of heart disease, he said he didn’t see it coming.

“I’m in shape. I can run 10 (kilometres) without breaking a sweat. I play hockey three times a week,” he said. “I presumed if you could do all that, you couldn’t possibly have arterial blockage.

“But that’s not the case, I found out from my doctors.”

Schur considers himself “incredibly lucky.”

“The guys I was on the ice with had the presence of mind to call the paramedics immediately,” he said.

“They were there in minutes and I was in St. Boniface — one of the best cardiac hospitals in Canada — within 20 minutes.”

He estimates the time from collapse to the stent procedure took all of 45 minutes.

“My family came and saw me and said: ‘You look fine.’”

Looks notwithstanding, Schur was forbidden from driving for a month and flying for two. That sidelined him from a Stand! première earlier this month in Washington, D.C., as well as attending the American Film Market in Santa Monica, Calif., next month to do his part to sell the film beyond Canada.

Taking a step back from his usual full-bore focus was important, he acknowledges.

Mike Sudoma / Winnipeg Free Press
Composer and producer Danny Schur started suffering serious chest pains the afternoon of Sept. 30 while playing hockey.
Mike Sudoma / Winnipeg Free Press Composer and producer Danny Schur started suffering serious chest pains the afternoon of Sept. 30 while playing hockey.

“I always joked that this movie almost killed me, and I wasn’t really serious,” he said.

“It’s funny, Roy Wagner, the movie’s director of photography, said: ‘Danny, now you can be like a real producer and just point. Delegate!’

“I’m doing a lot of delegation.”

Schur, a hands-on producer, is still tinkering with the film’s trailer and posters. He is delighted by the film’s release date, one week after the opening of Frozen 2.

“People who are into musicals will see our posters in the lobby and go: ‘Hey, here’s another musical!’ And it’s three weeks before Cats and Star Wars (The Rise of Skywalker) come out (Dec. 20). That’s our magic window.

“I can’t tell you how much praise I’m heaping on Cineplex,” Schur said. “It’s rare that a Canadian movie gets a truly national release.”

Schur only expressed one regret about his medical crisis: “I was having a damn good game.”

randall.king@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @FreepKing

Randall King

Randall King
Writer

Randall King writes about film for the Winnipeg Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

A program allowing youths to ride Winnipeg Transit buses fare-free is on track to start next month, though some will wait longer than others to get their passes.

The provincially funded Free Youth Transit Pass Pilot program will provide no-cost rides to youths between the ages of 11 and 17 and high school students between the ages of 18 and 21.

On Thursday, Premier Wab Kinew revealed not all students will be eligible when school resumes next month, as passes will be available based on grade levels.

“It’s going to happen week by week, more and more students will be getting the bus passes. So, this is just at the request of the people who run Transit, so that they can accommodate this new program. As you go back to school, you’ll find out how the bus passes are going to be distributed,” said Kinew.

Read
Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

“This isn’t vigilante justice. This isn’t about someone going out and trying to settle scores,” Josh Guenter, the Progressive Conservative MLA for Borderland, said Thursday.

“This is about Manitobans who have crime perpetrated on them, and what they’re able to do in that moment, to protect themselves, their loved ones, and their property.”

Officers were sent to property in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people who had been on the property earlier in the day returned that evening, driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

Read
Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:22 PM CDT

Manitoba hasn’t agreed to put American liquor back on shelves despite Prime Minister Mark Carney’s request while his government finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. to avoid new tariffs.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:22 PM CDT