Province commits funds for RWB campus plan

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Premier Heather Stefanson went to the ballet Wednesday afternoon — announcing $7.5 million in provincial funding toward the expansion and modernization of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet’s downtown campus.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 23/03/2022 (1613 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Premier Heather Stefanson went to the ballet Wednesday afternoon — announcing $7.5 million in provincial funding toward the expansion and modernization of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet’s downtown campus.

The funding will help the downtown cultural institution make critical upgrades and improvements in areas such as efficiency, conservation of energy, accessibility, safety and artistic possibilities, the premier said.

The RWB plan includes new living facilities for its boarding students, as well as a modern 3,400-square-foot studio for the use of more than 1,500 dancers in the organization’s professional and recreational divisions.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Premier Heather Stefanson makes large funding announcement for the Royal Winnipeg Ballet campus modernization project after a performance by the RWB dancers in their studio on Wednesday.
RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Premier Heather Stefanson makes large funding announcement for the Royal Winnipeg Ballet campus modernization project after a performance by the RWB dancers in their studio on Wednesday.

Before taking centre stage, Stefanson sat in the front row beside RWB school director Stéphane Léonard for a brief performance by the ballet’s professionals, choreographed by Cameron Fraser-Monroe and set to music by Jeremy Dutcher.

The premier watched with glee before walking to a podium in front of the ballet’s students, who stood posed for the entirety of Stefanson’s four-minute address.”My goodness, that was an absolutely amazing performance,” she said. “Let’s hear it for our dancers.”

Stefanson called the RWB an important local institution, recognized internationally for artistic excellence, adding the organization’s capital campaign to create a state-of-the-art campus had already raised $15 million in private contributions. The provincial support would pave the way toward the ballet receiving matching federal support from Ottawa, the premier said.

The $30-million project is scheduled to be complete by 2024.

“This project will greatly support the goal of a healthy and vibrant downtown in our capital city, especially as we reopen our province and move toward recovery (from the COVID-19 pandemic),” Stefanson said. “Manitoba’s arts and cultural organizations play a significant role in the health and well-being of all Manitobans.”

RWB artistic director and CEO André Lewis then rushed up to introduce Minister of Sport, Culture and Heritage Andrew Smith. But first, he had to give the students some artistic direction.

“Relax your pose,” Lewis said, smiling, and all at once, the students loosened up.

Smith complimented the performers and students, and echoed Stefanson’s comments, remarking the three-minute opening to the day’s program was “probably the first live performance” he’d seen since before the pandemic began.

Lewis called the province’s financial support “incredible,” before once again ceding the spotlight to Stefanson for questions from reporters.

The premier was asked what other supports were expected for the arts and culture sector from the province moving forward.

“I think that what is important is that during this very difficult last couple of years, the arts and culture sector has been hit very hard. And today this is about recognition of that. The minister outlined some other supports we have already made in this area, and we will continue to do so,” Stefanson said.

There are “lots” of exciting announcements about arts and culture to come, she said, but did not offer any specifics.

The 51-year-old premier also looked back at her connections on the stage. “I used to be a Highland dancer, and I was actually a student at the Royal Winnipeg Ballet back in the day… My daughter actually was also a Highland dancer and was a student here… as well.”

ben.waldman@freepress.mb.ca

Ben Waldman

Ben Waldman
Reporter

Ben Waldman is a National Newspaper Award-nominated reporter on the Arts & Life desk at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg, Ben completed three internships with the Free Press while earning his degree at Ryerson University’s (now Toronto Metropolitan University’s) School of Journalism before joining the newsroom full-time in 2019. Read more about Ben.

Every piece of reporting Ben produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Wednesday, March 23, 2022 10:32 PM CDT: Fixes typo.

Updated on Thursday, March 24, 2022 10:26 AM CDT: Tweaks headline

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Free Press literary editor picks noteworthy Canadian fiction and non-fiction titles to watch for this fall

Ben Sigurdson 8 minute read Preview

Free Press literary editor picks noteworthy Canadian fiction and non-fiction titles to watch for this fall

Ben Sigurdson 8 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

For many book lovers, summer means relaxing at the beach, in the backyard or at the cottage with fun, warm-weather page-turners — easy-going romance novels, gripping thrillers or even a dishy biography.

And some may long for the summer months to slow down, fall books season always offers up some of the most compelling reads for bookworms.

Here are 10 works of fiction and 10 non-fiction titles from Canadian authors slated to be published in the coming months — from Olympians to separatists, draft dodgers, plutocrats, prime ministers, bird-men and beyond, the characters in these forthcoming titles run the gamut.

FICTIONEliza Sunshine

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Ready to crack over late-night ‘snacks’

Maureen Scurfield 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My new love has a seriously annoying habit that could break us up now that we’re actually living together.

I’m not getting much sleep, and it has nothing to do with having too much sex! Every night at about 2 a.m., my man gets up and goes to the fridge, makes a giant sandwich and pours a huge glass of apple juice, then sits there scarfing it down, with music on for a bit of entertainment. This often wakes me up, and when I complain he just invites me to join him “for a bite.”

Really? The last thing I need is to eat a fourth meal of the day in the middle of the night. He says it’s an old habit from his football days, when he was so hungry all the time and he still enjoys it. He says he isn’t about to change that for me, so, tough luck.

It’s a big problem as I can’t just fall back to sleep after he rattles around the kitchen and then comes back and jumps back into bed with me.

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT