Manitoba film tax credit keeps rolling

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Seasoned show business folk can be a tough crowd, but an assembly of film and video professionals at the Fairmont Hotel rose Tuesday afternoon to give a standing ovation to Cathy Cox, provincial minister for sport, culture and heritage.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/01/2019 (2773 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Seasoned show business folk can be a tough crowd, but an assembly of film and video professionals at the Fairmont Hotel rose Tuesday afternoon to give a standing ovation to Cathy Cox, provincial minister for sport, culture and heritage.

“I’m absolutely thrilled to announce today that our government will be making the Manitoba film (and video production) tax credit permanent,” Cox said, to rapturous applause from forum attendees.

The announcement means simply there is no expiry date on what is one of the most competitive film tax credit programs in North America. Prior to the announcement, the program was set to expire at the end of 2019, which had the potential to cause uncertainty for producers looking at working in Manitoba.

There was $173 million in production reported in the province for the  2017-18 fiscal year, while the total is at $210 million for 2018-19 so far. (Wayne Glowacki / Winnipeg Free Press files)
There was $173 million in production reported in the province for the 2017-18 fiscal year, while the total is at $210 million for 2018-19 so far. (Wayne Glowacki / Winnipeg Free Press files)

“We recognize that removing the sunset clause is very important to ensuring that you have the stability to know that down the road, this tax credit will remain permanent,” Cox said.

Manitoba Film & Music chief executive officer Carole Vivier, who leaves the position at the end of June, heralded the move as something that will secure film production into the future.

“It was on a renewal cycle,” she said. “There’s a date when (the tax credit) would be renewed. And that date is in the legislation. So when people are looking to shoot here, they look at the tax credit and they look at when it needs to be renewed. And when there’s a date there, it makes them nervous, because they go: ‘Oh, what if they don’t renew it?’

“Removing that sunset clause makes all that go away. It really is a strong message from the government that this is a sector they believe in and are supporting.”

The move brings Manitoba in line with other provinces offering tax credit programs, including Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia. While Manitoba doesn’t match the production dollars brought in by those provinces, the industry has grown dramatically.

The 2017-18 fiscal year reported $173 million in production in the province. The sum is already at $210 million for 2018-19 and is expected to be $250 million by the end of the fiscal year, Cox said.

Actor/director Sean Penn was rumoured to be in Winnipeg last week on a scouting mission. (Taylor Jewell / Invision files)
Actor/director Sean Penn was rumoured to be in Winnipeg last week on a scouting mission. (Taylor Jewell / Invision files)

“So it’s very important that we contribute to this booming industry in Manitoba. Even Sean Penn was here (in Winnipeg) last week,” the minister added, referring to the Oscar-winning actor who was, according to industry scuttlebutt, scouting for two different projects he intends to produce and direct.

randall.king@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @FreepKing

Randall King

Randall King
Writer

Randall King writes about film for the Winnipeg Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Preview

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

More doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before but health-care challenges remain, Premier Wab Kinew says.

The province has added 4,725 net new health-care workers to the provincial system since the NDP won the October 2023 election, Kinew told reporters Tuesday.

The government’s total includes 370 doctors, 1,464 nurses, 2,152 health-care aides and 607 allied health professionals, a group that includes physiotherapists, dietitians, paramedics, medical lab technologists and others.

Kinew said more doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

Ignore gossip, be good till girlfriend’s back

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: I am lonely to the bone. My girlfriend has been away working for the summer, and I promised I wouldn’t cheat on her. But now I have heard through the grapevine she’s seeing a guy who works at her kids’ camp.

I think the source can be trusted, because she’s a friend who cares about me, almost like a sister. Actually I think she kind of wants me herself, but never seems to cross that line. Should I believe her “inside information” when she might be wanting to go out with me herself?

My girlfriend won’t be back until the very end of August and the messages and phone calls back and forth have been less and less frequent. Maybe she’s just busy or getting rested up to see me — or maybe she’s seeing someone else. I’m feeling jealous and I hate it! Maybe I should see somebody else too. Please advise ASAP.

— Lonely and Suspicious, Transcona

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

RRC shelter support worker program grads seek to make difference in lives of province’s most vulnerable

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

RRC shelter support worker program grads seek to make difference in lives of province’s most vulnerable

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Yesterday at 7:12 PM CDT

Pauline Pollard didn’t hesitate when asked what advice she would give her teenage self, a pregnant young mother of one in an abusive relationship.

“Leave sooner,” she said, citing everything she’s learned over the last 25 years, including at Red River College Polytechnic’s shelter support worker program.

The 43-year-old said she has “a lot of compassion” for women of all ages who find themselves stuck in unsafe situations.

It’s far easier in retrospect to see the warning signs, noting that in her case, an ex-boyfriend started confiscating her clothes and makeup before his controlling behaviour escalated to physical violence.

Read
Yesterday at 7:12 PM CDT

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Daycare, family centre addition will turn care home into intergenerational community hub

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

Daycare, family centre addition will turn care home into intergenerational community hub

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Seven-year-olds and 70-somethings will socialize daily when a 152-spot daycare opens inside of a seniors’ residence in Winnipeg in a couple of years.

Construction on a new wing of the Saul and Claribel Simkin Centre is scheduled to begin this fall, it was announced Monday.

The project won’t be complete for at least 22 months, but it’s already being touted as a made-in-Manitoba model for intergenerational community hubs across the country.

“It’s a real good idea to mix the younger generation with the older generation,” said Allan Rutherford, a 79-year-old resident of the 200-bed personal care home in Linden Ridge.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026