Alberta bans sexual images in school library books under revised order

Advertisement

Advertise with us

EDMONTON - The Alberta government made good Monday on its promise to revise its school book ban, stating that from now on written descriptions of sex are OK, but images and illustrations of sex are not.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 08/09/2025 (349 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

EDMONTON – The Alberta government made good Monday on its promise to revise its school book ban, stating that from now on written descriptions of sex are OK, but images and illustrations of sex are not.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides told reporters that visual depictions had been the government’s main concern from the start.

When asked by reporters why the government wasn’t concerned with written descriptions of explicit sexual material, he said, “An image can be understood and conveyed at any grade level with any degree of comprehension.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith speaks at a press conference in Edmonton on Oct. 31, 2024.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith speaks at a press conference in Edmonton on Oct. 31, 2024.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson

“Whereas, of course, vocabulary and understanding progresses and develops throughout the school year.”

He said the revised order ensures that literary classics, even those that include sexual content, will stay on school library shelves.

“Classic literary works that work to provoke the mind and challenge our thinking are exactly the type of material that should be provided in a school library,” he said.

The change comes after Edmonton’s public school board put together a list of more than 200 titles it was going to take out of schools — including classics like Margaret Atwood’s “The Handmaid’s Tale” — to comply with the initial ministerial order issued in July.

The potential banning of classic titles in Alberta brought worldwide news coverage.

It also led Atwood herself to mock Premier Danielle Smith and her government by crafting a short story to social media about a boy and girl who lived happily ever after practising rapacious capitalism while having kids without having sex.

A number of other famous books were also put on the chopping block, with Edmonton Public listing Maya Angelou’s “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” and Aldous Huxley’s “Brave New World” as additional titles that would need to be stripped from libraries in order to comply the government’s initial directive.

Last week, Smith accused the Edmonton public board of intentionally misinterpreting the government’s intent and being heavy-handed with the books it planned to pull from shelves.

Smith at the time said the government was mainly concerned about images and illustrations of explicit sexual content and promised a revised ministerial order to clarify that point.

The government has linked the need for library book rules to four graphic novels officials found in school libraries that contained explicit images of sexual activity.

Due to the policy revision, Nicolaides has extended the deadline given to school boards to remove library books deemed inappropriate to early January, instead of the initial deadline of October.

Nicolaides said the rules were also simplified since the same policy applies across all grade levels, whereas the previous version stipulated different content rules for different grades.

Monday’s policy change came as good news for the Calgary Board of Education, the city’s public school board, which said in a statement that it appreciates the government’s changes and the extended deadline.

Edmonton Public board chair Julie Kusiek confirmed her division will reverse course and not go ahead with stripping the likes of Atwood and Angelou from library shelves.

Tanya Gaw, the founder of a parents advocacy group who had lobbied Nicolaides for the initial changes, said the government’s policy revision was “problematic.”

“I don’t understand the rationale in removing these type of books from the list just because there aren’t any graphics,” said Gaw, the chief executive officer of Action4Canada.

“Pornography is pornography.”

Gaw also said she disagreed with the minister’s argument about images being more easily understood than written passages and questioned what would be done for the children that can read at higher levels.

“Our first priority is to protect children and their hearts and minds because you only get one jab at this, and we … as a society, should be doing that, because once innocence is lost, it’s lost forever.”

Opposition NDP education critic Amanda Chapman said the government had created a mess of a policy and wasted the time and resources of an already overworked education system in the process.

“An enormous amount of resources had to be put in by school boards over the summer months to figure out how to comply with the order,” she said. “Now, of course, it turns out that all that time and resources were completely wasted.

“I guess we’ll find out when the first lists start coming out if the government has to redo their rules again.”

Another policy change made Monday is to have school divisions deliver Nicolaides’ ministry a list of books they plan to remove under the new rules by the end of October.

Nicolaides said those lists won’t need provincial approval, but school boards submitting them in advance would give the government a chance to review them and provide further guidance as necessary.

The new ministerial order also does away with the requirement to have teachers digitally catalogue their personal classroom libraries.

Nicolaides said he had seen social media posts of teachers boxing up books and giving them away to avoid the extra work of cataloguing them, and that was something the province wanted to avoid.

He added that the policy still requires parents to be “informed” of the material kept in classroom libraries.

Jason Schilling, president of the Alberta Teachers’ Association, said the change was too little too late in some cases.

“Those books aren’t coming back,” he said Monday.

‘It’s disappointing and shameful to me that we didn’t have any kind of clarity moving into the start of the school year that saw teachers take such extreme steps of getting rid of materials.”

Schilling said the book ban “was and continues to be an unnecessary overreach by government,” adding that the revision was an attempt by the province to fix a problem that “quite frankly could have been handled with a phone call.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 8, 2025.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.

The good, bad and record setting performance in Bombers loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Preview

The good, bad and record setting performance in Bombers loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Yesterday at 6:50 PM CDT

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ 22-19 defeat at the hands of the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium in Alberta on Friday was fitting for all the wrong reasons.

The Bombers looked reinvigorated as they jumped out to a 16-point lead in the first half. Then some bad habits reared their ugly head, as the Elks roared back with 19 straight points before kicker Vincent Blanchard walked it off with a 40-yard field goal.

A night that began with so much promise left many fans to wonder what the ceiling actually is for this team in 2026.

On offence, Zach Collaros completed 19 of 30 passes for 219 yards, one touchdown and an interception; Brady Oliveira amassed 118 yards on 16 carries and added a pair of catches for 11 yards; and Nic Demski secured five grabs for 80 yards.

Read
Yesterday at 6:50 PM CDT

BigXThaPlug misses Country Rising appearance after arrest

1 minute read Yesterday at 12:05 PM CDT

Country-rap headliner BigXThaPlug, scheduled to appear at the third annual Country Rising festival at Blue Cross Park on Friday, missed performing at the festival after being arrested on drug charges in Texas earlier in the day.

According to Dallas’s KDFW, the performer, born Xavier Landum, was arrested by the Allen Police Department and booked into the Collin County Jail on Friday.

The jail’s website states Landum was charged with driving while intoxicated, marijuana possession of less than two ounces, and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Moon Alert: Until 11 p.m. PDT tonight there are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions today. The Moon is in Capricorn.

Aries (March 21-April 19)

Steer clear of confrontation with authority figures this morning. Instead, get yourself ready for a productive four weeks ahead because you intend to work and get better organized. Oh yeah – you’re going to pull your act together so you can take it on the road.

Taurus (April 20-May 20)

Read
2:00 AM CDT

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Preview

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

The Conservative Party of Canada has a troll problem. And it’s coming from inside the tent.

Once, trolls existed only in imagination. They were figures of mythical proportion, big and small. They lived solitary lives under bridges, in caves, or forests. They were considered dim-witted and mean. Best avoided.

Today, they are real, unavoidable, and ubiquitous on social media. They are anything but solitary. There are tribes of them out there and tribal is how they think and post. As for dim-witted and mean, others can opine but they are uniformly mean and dismissive.

Mean to anyone who disagrees with their views. Dismissive of any view but their own. They distribute questionable, at best, facts and opinions grounded in hostility towards anything or anyone deemed disagreeable or heretical to their world view.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT