Cate Blanchett to receive Film at Lincoln Center award

Advertisement

Advertise with us

NEW YORK (AP) — Lincoln Center will honor Cate Blanchett with its 47th Chaplin Award at the arts organization's annual fundraising gala.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/02/2022 (1643 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

NEW YORK (AP) — Lincoln Center will honor Cate Blanchett with its 47th Chaplin Award at the arts organization’s annual fundraising gala.

Film at Lincoln Center announced the award for Blanchett on Friday. It will be presented to her on April 25 at Lincoln Center’s Alice Tully Hall.

“We are thrilled to welcome Cate Blanchett back to Film at Lincoln Center, where three of her films have previously screened as part of the New York Film Festival,” said Lesli Klainberg, executive director of Film at Lincoln Center, in a statement. “Ms. Blanchett’s career includes extraordinary performances in films ranging from small independent efforts to major studio franchises and with some of the most renowned directors of our time. It is our privilege to dedicate an evening of celebration to her, and add one more accolade to her many well-deserved awards.”

FILE - Cate Blanchett appears at the Goya Film Awards in Valencia, Spain, on Feb. 12, 2022. Blanchett will receive the 47th Chaplin Award by Film at Lincoln Center on April 25, in New York. (AP Photo/Alberto Saiz, File)
FILE - Cate Blanchett appears at the Goya Film Awards in Valencia, Spain, on Feb. 12, 2022. Blanchett will receive the 47th Chaplin Award by Film at Lincoln Center on April 25, in New York. (AP Photo/Alberto Saiz, File)

The previous Chaplin Award Gala, which honored Spike Lee, was postponed more than a year by the pandemic and was ultimately held last September. The Chaplin Award has been given out since 1972 and previous recipients include Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, Elizabeth Taylor, Martin Scorsese, Meryl Streep and Sidney Poitier.

Blanchett, a two-time Academy Award winner for her performances in “Blue Jasmine” and “The Aviator,” recently co-starred in Guillermo del Toro’s “Nightmare Alley” and Adam McKay’s “Don’t Look Up.”

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Brandon’s gas plant: a health decision

Riley De Blonde and Scott Blyth 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Imagine a Manitoba in which our lives are powered by clean, affordable electricity that Manitobans own and which doesn’t pollute the air and water we depend on.

That future is within reach and, as doctors, we know it would protect people’s health now and for many generations.

Instead, Manitoba Hydro wants to spend $3 billion on three new gas-fired turbines in Brandon.The Public Utilities Board is now considering this proposal, before our provincial leaders make a final decision that could lock us into burning harmful fossil fuels for decades.

Every day doctors witness the toll of air pollution, hotter summers and smokier skies on our patients — the child struggling through an asthma attack in the emergency room, the senior dangerously overheating during a heat wave. These health crises are not inevitable. They are the consequence of decisions, by governments and corporations, to keep burning fossil fuels.

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

First week at supervised drug consumption site issue-free: premier

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

First week at supervised drug consumption site issue-free: premier

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 7:17 PM CDT

There were no issues to report after the first week of operations for Manitoba’s first supervised drug consumption site, Premier Wab Kinew said Tuesday.

The Winnipeg space, operating temporarily out of the fenced-off parking lot at 366 Henry Ave. while the adjacent building, which is to become the permanent site, undergoes renovations, opened Aug. 11.

Opening the long-awaited supervised consumption facility was a 2023 NDP election promise to keep people alive in the midst of a toxic street-drug crisis.

Kinew said the facility, which is being run by the Aboriginal Health and Wellness Centre for the province, had quietly served at least 125 clients as of earlier in the week.

Read
Yesterday at 7:17 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT