Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!

Advertisement

Advertise with us

For an event celebrating the dead, the Winnipeg Zombie Walk is a pretty lively event.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 13/10/2011 (5425 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

For an event celebrating the dead, the Winnipeg Zombie Walk is a pretty lively event.

The annual walk features a few hundred people dressed as shambling corpses, roaming downtown searching for brains to eat while donating food and money to Winnipeg Harvest.

They are zombies with unbeating hearts of gold, and since they don’t eat anything but humans, they can spare some tins for the bin.

Ryan Cheale photo
Local rap act the Filthy Animals will play the Zombie Walk afterparty.
Ryan Cheale photo Local rap act the Filthy Animals will play the Zombie Walk afterparty.

“They don’t need tins, they need brains,” says Jeff Bromley, a member of local rap group Filthy Animals, which served as parade marshal last year and will headline the official Zombie Walk afterparty, Defcon Z, on both floors of the Osborne Village Inn Friday night.

Participants dressed like zombies will gather at Stephen Juba Park Friday beginning at 7 p.m., where they can watch fire dancers and get their photos taken for a donation to Winnipeg Harvest. The walk will begin at 8:30 p.m., moving to The Forks and the Legislative Building before stumbling into Osborne Village.

The live entertainment begins sometime around 10 p.m. with Laika, Zombie Assault, Igor & the Skindiggers and Filthy Animals playing The Zoo and DJs Dial-Up and Dan L. playing music at Ozzy’s. The $10 admission gets people into both floors.

“In a strange, maybe borderline macabre way, it brings people together,” says Bromley of the event. “We need more of that in this world. If you can get that many people downtown having fun, it’s almost like another community. It’s a celebration,” Bromley says.

His group, which includes P-Nutty (Ryan Genaille) and Big Bear (Gerry Sawatzky), led the walk last year and used that footage for a 10-minute short film directed by Ryan Cheale that served as the video for the Filthy Animals song Killing Me.

The 10-minute short got the attention of the editor of Los Angeles-based horror/music/film/comedy magazine Girls and Corpses, who decided the Filthy Animals were worthy of a feature profile for the mag’s next issue, due out later this year.

“It’s a ghetto Thriller. It’s like a short film-music video hybrid.

“It isn’t really us fearing the zombie apocalypse as much as it is the fear we’re not going to get beer anymore,” Bromley says with a laugh.

The walking undead have a long literary and cinematic tradition, but they truly became a pop culture phenomenon following the release of George A. Romero’s 1968 film Night of the Living Dead.

More recently, films like 28 Days Later and Zombieland, video games like Resident Evil and Left 4 Dead and comic-turned-television series The Walking Dead (Season 2 premières on Sunday on AMC) have been at the forefront of the zombie-apocalypse genre, which has also spawned books, board games, card games and the Zombie Walks, which originated in 2001 in California and are now held in cities across North America, England, Australia and Ireland.

“I think people have always been fascinated with death and the other side and not really knowing where we’re going and what’s to become of us when we expire,” Bromley says. “In Dawn of the Dead, George Romero had all the zombies returning to the mall because they have to consume; that was built into them.

“I think people are fascinated with what becomes of us when we’re not alive, and I think people like to see different directors and visionaries show their vision of what the zombies become. In recent years you’ve seen people break traditions with zombies running and that sort of thing, so it’s cool to see how things have evolved.”

Friday’s Zombie Walk is free and open to people of all ages. A zombie code of conduct has been posted online with some rules to follow. You may be “dead,” but the police will be on hand to ensure there is no vandalism (ie., smearing or splattering fake blood on public or private property), no open liquor and no harassing people who are not getting into your ghoul time.

 

— — —

 

Defcon Z is the official Zombie Walk afterparty, but that isn’t stopping other shows from getting involved Friday, most notably the Zombie Rock event at the Pyramid Cabaret, featuring the Wind-Ups, Rockdoras, Les Sexy and Noble Thiefs.

Admission is $7 for zombies and $10 for the living.

rob.williams@freepress.mb.ca

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
6:10 PM CDT

Selkirk physiotherapist Pachal looks to finish strong at Natural Strongman Worlds

Grace Penner 5 minute read Preview

Selkirk physiotherapist Pachal looks to finish strong at Natural Strongman Worlds

Grace Penner 5 minute read 5:55 PM CDT

Over 250 competitors from 20 countries will descend on Paisley, Scotland, this week for the Natural Strongman Worlds. There the athletes will meet personal goals, test their endurance over a multiple-day event, and a winner from both the men’s and women’s division will be crowned the fittest of them all.

Selkirk’s own Tom Pachal will be competing in the under 80-kilogram weight class. Pachal has been surrounded by the fitness lifestyle his whole career, multitasking as a physiotherapist and owning the Iron Image Barbell Club in Selkirk.

“I’m very involved in the health, wellness, fitness, (and) rehabilitation community. I love being an overall active person and helping others,” Pachal said.

Starting off as a power lifter, Pachal was excited to transition over to the Strongman competitions, something that was less repetitive and more unpredictable.

Read
5:55 PM CDT

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Preview

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

More doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before but health-care challenges remain, Premier Wab Kinew says.

The province has added 4,725 net new health-care workers to the provincial system since the NDP won the October 2023 election, Kinew told reporters Tuesday.

The government’s total includes 370 doctors, 1,464 nurses, 2,152 health-care aides and 607 allied health professionals, a group that includes physiotherapists, dietitians, paramedics, medical lab technologists and others.

Kinew said more doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: 5:55 PM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 7 minute read Preview

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 7 minute read 7:04 PM CDT

Edmonton’s CFL team has been a complete, utter mess for the majority of the past decade.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers took full advantage of their once-prominent West Division foe falling on hard times by shellacking them time and time again.

Let’s take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

The Blue and Gold defeated the Elks three times in a span of five weeks in 2021 — including a 30-3 beatdown on Chancellor Matheson Road on Oct. 8.

Read
7:04 PM CDT