Blue Bombers get their Simpsons moment

Advertisement

Advertise with us

You could say it’s the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ most D’oh-bious honour.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/01/2022 (1690 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

You could say it’s the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ most D’oh-bious honour.

Fresh from its Grey Cup victory last month, the CFL team has been immortalized on long-running (currently in its 33rd season) animated Fox TV series The Simpsons.

The Jan. 2 episode (“The Longest Marge”) briefly showed a bus with Winnipeg Blue Bombers emblazoned on its side.

In response, the team tweeted out “C’mon down to Winnipeg @TheSimpsons,” along with the portion of the episode.

The video clip shows several football players walking towards the bus after a loss to the hometown Springfield Atoms. An announcer says: “In a never before seen move, the opposing defence is resigning en masse to try their luck in the Canadian Football League — good luck fellas.”

A spokesman for the Blue Bombers said Monday the club didn’t have anything more to say about the recognition.

A spokesperson for The Simpsons could not be reached for comment.

It’s not the first time the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have found the pop culture spotlight.

A few years ago, the team’s logos were spotted on sweatshirts and toques worn by characters in the comic strip Crankshaft (which runs in the Winnipeg Free Press).

Upon learning about the Blue Bombers reference on The Simpsons, the comic strip’s creator, Tom Batiuk, a fan of the team, said: “To the Simpsons — welcome on board. What took you so long?”

It’s not the first time Winnipeg has found its way to The Simpsons.

The video clip on the Simpsons shows several football players walking towards a Winnipeg Blue Bombers bus after a loss to the hometown Springfield Atoms.
The video clip on the Simpsons shows several football players walking towards a Winnipeg Blue Bombers bus after a loss to the hometown Springfield Atoms.

In a Season 16 episode, Homer Simpson and his father, Abe, began smuggling prescription drugs to the United States using fake Canadian health-care cards. “Midnight Rx” featured the Now Entering Winnipeg sign: “We were born here, what’s your excuse?”

Perhaps the most repeated clip — at least by Winnipeggers — was from Season 7 (“Bart on the Road”). Bart Simpson and others were on a road trip when another vehicle pulls alongside carrying with a dad threatening to turn the car around and go home if his children don’t behave.

One of Bart’s friends leans out of the vehicle and smacks the dad on the head; the man says, “That’s it, back to Winnipeg.”

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason
Reporter

Kevin Rollason was a general assignment reporter at the Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 6:27 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump announced late Tuesday a last-minute deal to delay new tariffs from slamming an array of Canadian products for three days.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in response there’s still important work to do.

"Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers and families," Carney said in a statement.

He said "substantial progress" has been made and Canada is focused on "building a stronger, more independent and more competitive economy at home."

Read
Updated: 6:27 AM CDT

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: 5:55 PM CDT

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
6:10 PM CDT

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

A city-run fitness centre that suddenly closed for repairs last October lacks a set date to reopen, while an investigation on how best to fix it is underway.

Read
Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.

A new disciplinary system, as well as an online registry where members of the public can look up the education level and standing of teachers and school clinicians, came into effect Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in a 24-page report published this week.

Read
Updated: 4:28 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
5:54 PM CDT