CES 2019: TV set maker LG makes its sets disappear

Advertisement

Advertise with us

LAS VEGAS - The CES 2019 gadget show is revving up in Las Vegas. Here are the latest findings and observations from Associated Press reporters on the ground as technology's biggest trade event gets underway.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 07/01/2019 (2783 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

LAS VEGAS – The CES 2019 gadget show is revving up in Las Vegas. Here are the latest findings and observations from Associated Press reporters on the ground as technology’s biggest trade event gets underway.

DISAPPEARING TELEVISIONS

In this age of smartphone streaming, big television sets are no longer the centerpiece of many living rooms. Now South Korean electronics company LG is doing its part to make TVs disappear altogether.

An OLED 8K television is on display during an LG news conference at CES International, Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)
An OLED 8K television is on display during an LG news conference at CES International, Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)

LG has unveiled a “rollable” TV — a 65-inch screen that can roll down and disappear into its base with the press of a button. The set can still play music when the screen is rolled down completely, or display a clock when it’s just partially rolled down. LG says the TV will be available later this year. It didn’t say how much it will cost.

Meanwhile, LG, Samsung and others unveiled “8K” sets, with four times the resolution of today’s high-definition sets and twice that of 4K sets such as LG’s rollable one. 8K represents the next generation of television viewing, but one that most people won’t see for themselves for some time.

So far, 8K has only been deployed for the occasional experimental broadcast, such as during the Olympics. Even 4K shows and movies are just starting to catch on.

“As always with TVs, innovations come with display hardware first and adoption of things like content and delivery always follow later,” said Paul Gagnon, an analyst with IHS Markit.

But unlike past developments that never caught on, such as 3D TVs, analysts believe 8K will become more popular eventually — just not ubiquitous.

Samsung announced its first 8K TV last year, an 85-inch model costing nearly $15,000. The company unveiled four additional sizes Monday, sans prices. Also Monday, TCL announced plans for 8K sets with Roku’s streaming technology built-in. LG has two 8K sets coming.

ENOUGH ABOUT SELF-DRIVING CARS

The LG Signature OLED TV R, partially rolled up, is on display during an LG news conference at CES International, Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)
The LG Signature OLED TV R, partially rolled up, is on display during an LG news conference at CES International, Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)

Many people at CES would rather hear about better video games. Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang got a big round of applause when he told a crowd that he’d spend more time talking gaming than autonomous driving.

The Santa Clara, California-based chipmaker’s computer graphics technology is used in both industries. But it was Huang’s unveiling of a new gaming-oriented graphics processor that elicited the biggest cheers Sunday night. He also detailed how his company’s advances in artificial intelligence and a graphics technology called “ray tracing” are helping to generate ever-more-realistic scenery in popular games.

This year’s CES is less focused on autonomous cars compared with last year, though there’s ongoing buzz about self-driving innovations. Ride-hailing service Lyft says that after launching a self-driving Las Vegas taxi service at last year’s CES, it’s now had almost 30,000 paid rides. Daimler on Monday unveiled a new self-driving truck and Bosch and May Mobility separately unveiled their concepts for a driverless shuttle bus.

Meanwhile, executives from Audi, Toyota, Cruise Automation, chipmaker Nvidia, Google spinoff Waymo and several startups are gearing up to convince the public that autonomous vehicles are safe.

They say the coalition is not a lobbying effort but a united front to invest in countering what they describe as public confusion, fears and unrealistic expectations about self-driving technology. The industry push follows a year of news about self-driving crashes, including an autonomous Uber that fatally struck a pedestrian in March. Neither Uber nor Tesla, which has also had crashes, is part of the group.

A CENTURY-OLD CES FIRST-TIMER

You wouldn’t expect to find the maker of Pampers and Bounty paper towels at the world’s largest technology conference.

BOSCH Group management board member Markus Heyn, center, and president of BOSCH North America Mike Mansuetti, right, shake hands as Shawn Ryan, left, an actor in the latest BOSCH advertising campaign, runs off stage at the BOSCH new conference at CES International Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)
BOSCH Group management board member Markus Heyn, center, and president of BOSCH North America Mike Mansuetti, right, shake hands as Shawn Ryan, left, an actor in the latest BOSCH advertising campaign, runs off stage at the BOSCH new conference at CES International Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)

But here’s consumer goods company Procter & Gamble at CES 2019, showing off heated razors and a toothbrush that uses artificial intelligence. (Sorry if you were expecting self-changing diapers.)

Procter & Gamble, which was founded more than 180 years ago, said it’s the first time it has been an exhibitor at CES. The company said it needs to infuse technology into everyday products to keep up with what customers want.

Among the goods on display: a waterproof Gillette razor that heats up to 122 degrees; an Oral-B toothbrush that tells you if you’re missing areas when brushing; and a wand-like device called Opte that scans the skin and releases serum that covers up age spots and other discoloration.

Although some of the products have been sold in test runs, pricing hasn’t been set yet. But expect to pay a lot more than the ordinary stuff currently on drugstore shelves.

AN ELEGANT WAY TO TEXT

People feeling overwhelmed by their array of connected devices can invest up to $700 on another device meant to feel more artisanal.

Mui Lab, based in Kyoto, Japan, has designed an internet-connected wall panel made of sycamore wood that you can touch to send messages, check the weather or control other home devices such as lights and thermostats. Lighted letters and icons appear on the wood panel when it’s being used — and disappear when it’s inactive.

Gill Pratt, CEO of the Toyota Research Institute, unveils Toyota's latest autonomous-driving test vehicle for the Toyota Research Institute, called P4, based on the new-generation Lexus LS500h hybrid luxury sedan, with a roof-mounted assembly with cameras and sensors, and sensors added onto the front fenders, at the Toyota news conference at CES International Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)
Gill Pratt, CEO of the Toyota Research Institute, unveils Toyota's latest autonomous-driving test vehicle for the Toyota Research Institute, called P4, based on the new-generation Lexus LS500h hybrid luxury sedan, with a roof-mounted assembly with cameras and sensors, and sensors added onto the front fenders, at the Toyota news conference at CES International Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)

CEO Kazunori Oki says it’s about bringing a more natural feel to a connected home.

While you’re at it, you can make your home smell better. Feeling like more lavender and less jasmine? Or want your holiday party to smell like a blend of Christmas tree, fireplace and cookies? The Moodo “smart-home fragrance diffusers” made by Israeli fragrance company Agan Aroma enable users to adjust blends from their smartphones. Each $139 device holds up to four capsules with different scents.

___

AP Technology Writer Rachel Lerman in Seattle contributed to this report.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

Province fogging in West St. Paul due to high counts of West Nile-carrying mosquitoes

Free Press staff 3 minute read Preview

Province fogging in West St. Paul due to high counts of West Nile-carrying mosquitoes

Free Press staff 3 minute read 12:37 PM CDT

Manitoba Health will conduct a third round of fogging in the RM of West St. Paul due to high counts of a West Nile virus-carrying mosquito and a high infection rate in the area.

The province said spraying of the DeltaGard 20EW insecticide is scheduled to happen this weekend, as long as weather conditions are suitable, to reduce the risk of human exposure, which remains high.

The RM of West St. Paul will notify residents when the date is confirmed. The date will be published on the Manitoba Health’s website.

Manitoba has reported one confirmed and three probable human cases of West Nile virus in 2026. The confirmed case was in Prairie Mountain Health region in western Manitoba. Two probable cases were in Interlake-Eastern and one was in Southern Health.

Read
12:37 PM CDT

Elders bless, open city’s first urban all-season sweat lodge

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read Preview

Elders bless, open city’s first urban all-season sweat lodge

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read 4:20 PM CDT

Indigenous Winnipeggers now have access to sweat lodge ceremonies all year long.

On Friday Ka Ni Kanichihk unveiled Winnipeg’s first urban, all-seasons sweat lodge. The organization will hold ceremonies throughout the year, giving people who live in the city equitable access to the sacred ritual.

“We’re now going to be able to offer ceremony for relatives that can’t access a sweat ceremony outside the city because of financial restraint or that kind of thing,” said Wally Chartrand, a cultural advisor for Ka Ni Kanichihk.

The sweat lodge itself is enclosed in a cedar-panelled building equipped with washrooms and benches. Outside the building is a fire pit enclosed with a seating area and plants which are used as traditional Indigenous medicine during the ceremonies.

Read
4:20 PM CDT

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
12:25 PM CDT

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT