Lululemon stores in China mostly closed due to novel coronavirus outbreak

Advertisement

Advertise with us

VANCOUVER - Most of Lululemon Athletica Inc.'s nearly 40 stores in China have been closed since early February amid the novel coronavirus outbreak, the company said.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/02/2020 (2371 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

VANCOUVER – Most of Lululemon Athletica Inc.’s nearly 40 stores in China have been closed since early February amid the novel coronavirus outbreak, the company said.

“We’re inspired by the resilience and commitment of our team in China as we navigate the emerging impacts of the coronavirus,” chief executive Calvin McDonald said in a statement Friday.

“The safety of our people is our highest priority, and we are adjusting store operations based upon the recommendations of local authorities.”

Lululemon Athletica's logo is seen on the outside of their new flagship store on Robson Street during it's grand opening in downtown Vancouver, B.C., on Thursday August 21, 2014. Lululemon Athletica Inc. says most of its stores in China have been closed since early February due to the novel coronavirus outbreak. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Lululemon Athletica's logo is seen on the outside of their new flagship store on Robson Street during it's grand opening in downtown Vancouver, B.C., on Thursday August 21, 2014. Lululemon Athletica Inc. says most of its stores in China have been closed since early February due to the novel coronavirus outbreak. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

Most of the Vancouver-based company’s 38 stores in China have been closed since Feb. 3 in accordance with Chinese guidance. Some are now operating on a reduced schedule, while the company’s online business continues to operate.

Other Canadian retailers with stores in China have been under the same orders as authorities work to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.

Tim Hortons, which has roughly 30 stores in the country mostly in the Shanghai region, temporarily closed several of its restaurants, executives said earlier this month.

Amer Sports Canada Inc., which owns the Salomon, Arc’teryx and other brands, owns nearly 50 stores in China across its various brands, spokesperson Bethan Williams wrote in an email earlier this month.

“Some of the stores are closed due to the closure of shopping malls, and most of them are having to shorten their business hours due to low traffic and instructions from the government,” Williams wrote, adding online sales haven’t seen much of an impact.

“Overall, it is too early to assess the operational and financial impacts of the virus.”

Lululemon said it is continuing to monitor the situation, and will provide and update on the financial and operational impact when it reports its fourth-quarter results in late March.

In January, the company raised its financial guidance for its fourth quarter, which ended Feb. 2, saying it expects more net revenue.

Earlier this month, Canada Goose Holdings Inc. cut its expectations for the year, citing “material negative impact” from the coronavirus.

The luxury parka maker lowered its expected annual revenue growth for its 2020 financial year with CEO Dani Reiss telling analysts during a conference call that the health crisis “has hit our biggest current growth market.”

Canada Goose saw significant reductions in revenue at stores and through online shopping across Greater China, while global travel disruptions affected its stores in North America and Europe.

Meanwhile, other retailers face manufacturing problems.

Indigo Books & Music Inc., which makes some of its products in China, has said that some of its new products will be delayed due to the outbreak.

For many companies, including Lululemon, China is a major market for expansion.

Restaurant Brands International, the parent company of Tim Hortons, announced in 2018 it plans to open more than 1,500 of the coffee-and-doughnut chain locations in the country over a 10-year period.

Lululemon announced last year plans to quadruple its international revenue within five years and projected revenue from China will exceed that in Europe, Australia and New Zealand by 2023.

“Despite the current disruption to our growing business in China, we remain confident in the long-term opportunities this market holds for Lululemon,” McDonald said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 21, 2020.

Companies in this story: (TSX:QSR, TSX:GOOS, TSX:IDG)

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Yesterday at 4:29 PM CDT

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Yesterday at 4:29 PM CDT

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Yesterday at 12:50 PM CDT

A June 9 disciplinary decision found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

Read
Yesterday at 12:50 PM CDT

Lululemon's stores in China mostly closed

Aleksandra Sagan, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

Lululemon's stores in China mostly closed

Aleksandra Sagan, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Friday, Feb. 21, 2020

VANCOUVER - Most of Lululemon Athletica Inc.'s nearly 40 stores in China have been closed since early February amid the novel coronavirus outbreak, the company said.

"We're inspired by the resilience and commitment of our team in China as we navigate the emerging impacts of the coronavirus," chief executive Calvin McDonald said in a statement Friday.

"The safety of our people is our highest priority, and we are adjusting store operations based upon the recommendations of local authorities."

Most of the Vancouver-based company's 38 stores in China have been closed since Feb. 3 in accordance with Chinese guidance. Some are now operating on a reduced schedule, while the company's online business continues to operate.

Read
Friday, Feb. 21, 2020

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read 2:15 PM CDT

Two people are facing charges for allegedly assaulting Winnipeg Transit employees in separate incidents within a 10-hour span Tuesday.

A 51-year-old man is accused of randomly throwing a beer can at a driver while exiting a bus at Dunkirk Avenue and Kingston Row at about 6 a.m.

The man bit the driver, who was trying to restrain him, police said. He was charged with assault and held in custody.

At about 3:40 p.m., a 31-year-old woman who refused to pay bus fare at Main Street and Pioneer Avenue punched a supervisor in the face, police said.

Read
2:15 PM CDT