Separated by pandemic, Molinari brothers unite at US Open

Advertisement

Advertise with us

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Edoardo and Francesco Molinari spent the week before Christmas together in Italy in 2019, not realizing then it would be 18 months before the brothers would see each other again because of travel restrictions brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/06/2021 (1890 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Edoardo and Francesco Molinari spent the week before Christmas together in Italy in 2019, not realizing then it would be 18 months before the brothers would see each other again because of travel restrictions brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Even more surprising was what would bring them together.

“Wasn’t expecting the U.S. Open to be the occasion,” Francesco said Thursday.

Edoardo Molinari, of Italy, plays his shot from the second tee during the first round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Thursday, June 17, 2021, at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)
Edoardo Molinari, of Italy, plays his shot from the second tee during the first round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Thursday, June 17, 2021, at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

The brothers played the U.S. Open together in 2010 at Pebble Beach and in 2011 at Congressional. That was when 40-year-old Edoardo was having some of his best years, and they were Ryder Cup teammates in Wales in 2010.

Since, then Edoardo has struggled and it wasn’t too long ago that he was outside the top 600 in the world. But without a U.S. Open qualifier in England this year because of travel issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the USGA offered 10 spots through a three-tournament points list on the European Tour.

Edoardo tied for the eighth in the British Masters and was a runner-up at the European Open in Germany, earning his spot at Torrey Pines.

Francesco, 38, has a five-year exemption from his 2018 British Open victory.

During the pandemic, Edoardo was in Italy. Francesco flew home to London and couldn’t get to Italy, and then last summer moved his family to Los Angeles.

“The last year-and-a-half has been very difficult,” Edoardo said. “So that’s why I came a day early and I went to visit him Sunday in LA where he is now living with the family, and we just had a good time.”

They played practice rounds at Torrey on Tuesday and Wednesday and had dinner plans Thursday night. Francesco said they stay in touch constantly, mostly through text and calls.

“Buut obviously it’s not the same, especially after such a long time,” Francesco said. “It’s definitely the first time that we’ve been apart for so long, so nice to see him.”

Their golf was fairly similar. Francesco opened with a 68, matching his best start to a U.S. Open. Edoardo, a former U.S. Amateur champion, shot 70.

FLAT-OUT XANDER

Xander Schauffele doesn’t think the arm-lock putting should be allowed, but as long as it is, he figured he would give it a try.

That’s not the only addition to his routine. He went horizontal on the greens to get a better read on how the putt might break. It’s similar to what Patrick Reed’s brother does, not quite to the level of Camilo Villegas back in the day that earned him the nickname “Spiderman.”

“I think I’m a good green reader and sometimes when I get even lower I may pick up something that I missed just kind of hunched over or crouched over,” he said. “Just like the arm lock, I’m trying to find any way to get myself an advantage.

“I just try to make sure I don’t really damage the green in any way, shape or form or I’m in anyone’s line.”

Plus, look at the bright side. Schauffele figures he’s getting additional exercise.

Xander Schauffele lines up his shot on the 11th green during the first round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Thursday, June 17, 2021, at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
Xander Schauffele lines up his shot on the 11th green during the first round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Thursday, June 17, 2021, at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

“I think I just started doing it on a few putts and then I kind of liked it and now I’m stuck doing 50 push-ups every day,” he said. “So it’s great.”

OLYMPIC HOPES

Odds are the three Olympic medalists from Rio de Janeiro won’t be part of the Tokyo games next month.

This is the final week before the Official World Golf Ranking is used to determine the 60-man field. Henrik Stenson, the silver medalist, is at No. 149 in the world and needed a good week to move past Henrik Norlander (No. 134) for the second spot for Sweden.

Stenson opened with a 76 and will be hard-pressed to make the cut at the U.S. Open.

Justin Rose, the gold medalist, likely needs to win this week to play for Britain. Bronze medalist Matt Kuchar could not get in even if he were to win the U.S. Open this week.

The American team is still up in the air. Justin Thomas is a lock at No. 2 in the world. The Americans can have a maximum of four players if they are within the top 15 in the world ranking. That won’t be a problem.

The final three spots are up for grabs among Collin Morikawa, Bryson DeChambeau, Xander Schauffele, Patrick Cantlay and Patrick Reed, all ranked (in order) between No. 4 and No. 8.

POSITIVE VIEWING

Matthew Wolff stepped away from the PGA Tour for two months when the frustrations were seeping too much into his well being off the course. He started playing about a month ago, mostly to restore the joy of golf.

He didn’t watch much golf, if any. Wolff isn’t the only PGA Tour player who doesn’t bother watching if they’re not playing. But if he does, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him tune into the LPGA Tour, courtesy of advice from Bubba Watson.

“He told me he stopped watching golf, he only watches LPGA because they’re so positive,” Wolff said. “The commentators, like everyone is just so positive, like every shot they hit is the best shot ever. I think it’s awesome, because these shots are hard out here.”

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 6 minute read Preview

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 6 minute read Yesterday at 7:04 PM CDT

Edmonton’s CFL team has been a complete, utter mess for the majority of the past decade.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers took full advantage of their once-prominent West Division foe falling on hard times by shellacking them time and time again.

Let’s take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

The Blue and Gold defeated the Elks three times in a span of five weeks in 2021 — including a 30-3 beatdown on Chancellor Matheson Road on Oct. 8.

Read
Yesterday at 7:04 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Preview

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT

Premier Wab Kinew said the province is doing all it can to ensure that Manitobans aren’t hit with another 911 service outage — including asking the head of Bell Canada to help.

“At the end of the day, when you dial 911, we need to get emergency services to you as quickly as possible,” Kinew said.

On July 22, an hours-long outage prevented nearly 90 calls to 911 from being routed to the public safety answering point in Brandon. Backup systems that reroute 911 calls when an outage occurs also experienced “issues” after a third party cut the cable during construction near Winnipeg, Bell Canada said earlier.

At the time, Kinew called the 911 outage “unacceptable,” and told reporters that Prime Minister Mark Carney assured him he would raise the matter with telecom executives.

Read
Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026