Go with the floe: Ice Cycles back on river trail

Advertisement

Advertise with us

An ice bike rental company hopes to slide to success after mild weather cancelled its 2024 season.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/01/2025 (574 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

An ice bike rental company hopes to slide to success after mild weather cancelled its 2024 season.

Ice Cycles has set up shop under the footbridge at The Forks and will be open for business starting today.

The company rents four different models of ice bikes — vehicles with the body of a bicycle or tricycle, minus the front wheel and mounted on a blade similar to the kind used in skates or on a short ski.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS
RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS

"This is a great way to open up Winnipeg’s famous river trail to people who say, I don’t know how to (skate)," says Sinan Leylek, owner of Ice Cycles rental and sales company.

There are two models for individual riders, a tandem model and a “minivan” model that can accommodate up to two adults and three children.

Due to their stability and ease of use, ice bikes are an accessible winter activity for people of all ages, according to co-owner Sinan Leylek.

“This is a great way to open up Winnipeg’s famous river trail to people who say, ‘I don’t know how to (skate),’” he said.

Ice Cycles is Canada’s first ice bike company.

It’s a division of Spark Rentals Inc., an event equipment rental business Leylek started in 2015. The company provides audio-visual equipment, lighting, dance floors and staging equipment for weddings, socials, corporate events and film productions.

Leylek discovered ice bikes while travelling in northwestern China in 2014. He decided to bring them to North America in 2021, after Spark’s business suffered due to COVID-19 lockdowns.

Ice Cycles opened for business in January 2022.

Leylek was disappointed last year’s warm weather meant Ice Cycles couldn’t operate in Winnipeg. The company is also an international wholesaler, though, and Leylek sold a fleet of the bikes to the City of Edmonton.

He’s also sold ice bikes to customers in the Yukon, Ontario, Michigan and Vermont.

“(We want to) validate the markets in Winnipeg and show you how much fun it is, how successful it can be, and then find other municipalities or rental operators that want to bring it into their own cities,” Leylek said.

Ice Cycles kicked off its 2025 season Jan. 11 at the Assiniboine Park duck pond with free rentals as part of the park’s three-day We are Winter celebration.

More than 500 people rode the bikes that weekend, according to Lewis Keller, Ice Cycles manager.

“People were excited that it was back,” Keller said. “It just really proved that people love something to do (outside), even if it is the winter. We are ‘Winterpeg’ — the snow’s never stopping anyone from going out and having fun.”

The bikes were a welcome addition to We are Winter, said Laura Cabak, Assiniboine Park Conservancy communications director.

“For people who might not have skates, this was another fun activity we could offer,” she said.

Ice Cycles will be open this weekend: today and Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. A Captain America impersonator will be on hand for two hours Sunday starting at 2:30 p.m. to take pictures with customers.

Walk-ups are welcome, but advanced reservations can be made online at sparkrentals.ca.

“I’m hopeful for (good) weather to kind of keep the trail open until mid-March,” Leylek said.

The Forks officially opened the Nestaweya River Trail on Dec. 31.

The trail is currently four kilometres long and will be extended to its full six km length as soon as today, according to Zach Peters, spokesperson for The Forks.

Weather conditions last year meant the trail did not open until late January, with only a small section of it open for nine days.

In 2023, approximately 220,000 people used the trail, which was open for 72 days — only three days shy of the longest season (2019).

aaron.epp@freepress.mb.ca

Aaron Epp

Aaron Epp
Reporter

Aaron Epp reports on business for the Free Press. After freelancing for the paper for a decade, he joined the staff full-time in 2024. Read more about Aaron.

Every piece of reporting Aaron produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Preview

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:48 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall is trying not to get ahead of himself. But you’ll forgive the young Manitoba golfer for pondering the “what if” as he stands on the cusp of a career milestone.

Nachtigall, 25, sits alone on top of the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur championship through 54 holes. He is 17-under par and carries a two-shot lead into Friday’s final round at the Brantford Golf & Country Club in Ontario.

“It would be incredible, but there is a lot of golf left to go so I won’t be thinking too much about that until hopefully the final putt drops,” Nachtigall told reporters on scene Thursday.

The Brandon product is aiming to become the first Manitoban to win the national title since Todd Fanning did so in 2017, winning a playoff over Ontario’s Garrett Rank.

Read
Yesterday at 5:48 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

A program allowing youths to ride Winnipeg Transit buses fare-free is on track to start next month, though some will wait longer than others to get their passes.

The provincially funded Free Youth Transit Pass Pilot program will provide no-cost rides to youths between the ages of 11 and 17 and high school students between the ages of 18 and 21.

On Thursday, Premier Wab Kinew revealed not all students will be eligible when school resumes next month, as passes will be available based on grade levels.

“It’s going to happen week by week, more and more students will be getting the bus passes. So, this is just at the request of the people who run Transit, so that they can accommodate this new program. As you go back to school, you’ll find out how the bus passes are going to be distributed,” said Kinew.

Read
Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Yesterday at 6:07 PM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Yesterday at 6:07 PM CDT