Domestic sticker shock absorber

JDM Rush Imports owner logs increased inquiries as Canadians seek to dodge pricing pressures

Advertisement

Advertise with us

“Definitely frustrating” and “nearly impossible” are how Brady Jonasson and Savannah Blandford describe the first six months they spent shopping for a used vehicle last year.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/04/2025 (506 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

“Definitely frustrating” and “nearly impossible” are how Brady Jonasson and Savannah Blandford describe the first six months they spent shopping for a used vehicle last year.

The Gimli-based newlyweds searched for something reliable with low mileage and no rust selling for under $20,000, but nothing met those requirements.

In July, the couple contacted JDM Rush Imports Inc. in Winnipeg, which specializes in importing vehicles from the Japanese domestic market. Less than four months later, they were the proud owners of a 2008 Honda CR-V that had just 2,500 kilometres on the odometer.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
                                Adam Duguay, owner of JDM Rush Imports, which imports vehicles from Japan, is photographed with a right-hand drive 2008 Subaru Forester XT he recently brought to Winnipeg.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS

Adam Duguay, owner of JDM Rush Imports, which imports vehicles from Japan, is photographed with a right-hand drive 2008 Subaru Forester XT he recently brought to Winnipeg.

The total price, including shipping and the company’s fee, was just over $16,000.

“I think people are scared of the process of importing vehicles, so they settle for paying more,” Jonasson said. “But the time it takes is way more worth it, especially for the price and crazy low mileage you can get.”

Given the cost of used vehicles in Canada and potential U.S. tariffs impacting the auto industry, JDM Rush Imports founder Adam Duguay wonders if more people will follow in Jonasson’s and Blandford’s footsteps.

When Duguay started the company in January 2022, he catered largely to Japanese domestic market enthusiasts. But in recent months, he’s observed an increase in inquiries from Canadians looking to import Japanese vehicles as a way to avoid domestic sticker shock and the impact of any tariffs that might come into effect Wednesday.

Importing from Japan has become more than just a niche market, according to Duguay. For some, it’s one of the few affordable paths to vehicle ownership.

“I’ve noticeably seen an uptick in calls from people looking for daily drivers that just can’t seem to find a car they can afford,” he said. “I would say 30 to 40 per cent more calls have been like that … and I ask every single customer (why they want to import).”

Prior to starting his company, Duguay was in the market for a solid used car himself — something reliable and well-priced. But everything he looked at was priced only a few thousand dollars less than brand-new models.

After Duguay discovered the Japanese domestic market, he was drawn in by the quality, variety and pricing. The cars are well-maintained thanks to Japan’s rigorous inspection system and most have much lower mileage than vehicles on a Canadian lot.

He started his company to make importing Japanese vehicles to Canada easy, affordable and exciting for clients. Duguay walks clients through the process, from sourcing a car to handling the paperwork, shipping, customs and delivery.

“I love cars (and) I love working with enthusiasts, but I also started it to help people — to get them into cars that are reasonably priced and high quality, especially in our economic climate right now,” he said.

According to Autotrader.ca’s December 2024 price index, the average price for a new car ended the year at $65,219 — down three per cent year over year. Meanwhile, the average price for a used car was $34,445, down 6.6 per cent from December 2023.

The industry started to normalize in 2024 following the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Baris Akyurek, vice-president of insights and intelligence at Autotrader.ca. While Akyurek could not speak to the demand for Japanese imports by Canadian consumers, he did offer observations about used car prices in Canada.

Supply chain issues during the pandemic led to fewer new cars available in the market, resulting in soaring prices. Consumers flocked to the used market, driving prices upward; in 2021 alone, used car prices increased by 21.7 per cent.

Tariffs threaten to recreate this dynamic, Akyurek said.

Autotrader.ca ran a survey from Feb. 7-13, targeting consumers aged 19 and over who plan to buy a vehicle in the next 12 months. Almost half (47 per cent) of the 645 respondents agreed potential trade tariffs have affected their vehicle purchasing decisions. One third said they would switch from buying a new to a used vehicle.

That aligns with the increase in interest in used vehicles that Autotrader.ca has noted in the last month.

“Based on what we are seeing and what we are hearing in the market, obviously consumers are rushing to buy used vehicles with the expectation there will be price increases,” Akyurek said.

He advises consumers who are looking for a used car right now to buy as soon as possible, assuming they have the financial means and know what they need. “If you find the right car at the right price, pull the trigger,” he said.

For Jonasson and Blandford, pulling the trigger meant importing a vehicle from Japan — and they couldn’t be happier.

“It was worth every penny I spent and every minute I spent waiting for it,” Blandford said.

aaron.epp@freepress.mb.ca

Aaron Epp

Aaron Epp
Reporter

Aaron Epp reports on business for the Free Press. After freelancing for the paper for a decade, he joined the staff full-time in 2024. Read more about Aaron.

Every piece of reporting Aaron produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read 11:56 AM CDT

A Winnipeg firefighter was assessed by paramedics and an emergency demolition was ordered after a vacant house caught fire Thursday morning for the second time in less than three months.

The two-storey home, at Argyle Street and Disraeli Freeway, in South Point Douglas, was boarded up following a blaze that occurred June 1.

Firefighters returned to the house after flames were reported shortly after 6 a.m. Thursday. The house was engulfed when crews arrived.

“Due to heavy fire conditions, crews were unable to enter the structure,” a Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service spokesperson wrote in an email to the Free Press.

Read
11:56 AM CDT

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston says Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked provinces to restock American alcohol on their shelves as Canada finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. 

U.S. President Donald Trump announced Tuesday he would put a three-day pause on 50 per cent tariffs that would have hit an array of Canadian goods just after midnight Wednesday.

The two governments are now finalizing the language of the deal.

Carney, who briefed cabinet ministers and premiers about the draft plan Wednesday, said the deal it builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026