Holocaust and human rights symposium open to all online

Advertisement

Advertise with us

SOMETHING different will happen when students from across the province gather online Thursday for the 20th Holocaust and Human Rights Symposium: their parents and other adults can join them, too.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 06/04/2022 (1597 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

SOMETHING different will happen when students from across the province gather online Thursday for the 20th Holocaust and Human Rights Symposium: their parents and other adults can join them, too.

For the first time, the annual event, which this year features Holocaust survivor Stefan Carter and Free Press columnist Niigaan Sinclair, will be virtual.

Usually held in-person at the University of Winnipeg, the event was cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This year’s symposium will be streamed for anyone who wants to attend — and not just students, said Belle Jarniewski, executive director of the Jewish Heritage Centre of Western Canada (the event is also sponsored by Jewish Federation of Winnipeg and Jewish Foundation of Manitoba).

“In a normal year, over 1,200 students from about 28 schools are involved,” she said. “This year, because it’s virtual, we are inviting anyone who wants to attend.”

Going virtual also means more schools, including some from outside Winnipeg, are participating. Fifty schools had signed up by Tuesday.

During the 10-11:45 a.m. symposium, Carter will talk about life before, during and after the Holocaust; Sinclair will talk about life for Indigenous people before, during and after residential schools.

The event comes soon after the papal apology in Rome to Indigenous people for the Roman Catholic Church’s involvement in residential schools, Jarniewski noted.

Its timing is also significant because April 6 is the 28th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide.

“After that the world said, ‘Never again,’ but it keeps happening again and again,” Jarniewski said of human rights abuses that occur around the globe. “We need to pay attention, no matter where they happen.”

The symposium is also of significance because “the window is closing to hear first-hand from Holocaust survivors,” she said, noting Carter is 94.

Attendees will be able to send in questions to the two panelists.

To register, visit www.jhcwc.org/programs.

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Wolseley residents put down roots to save elms

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

Wolseley residents put down roots to save elms

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read 5:02 PM CDT

A neighbourhood group that raised thousands of dollars to inoculate publicly owned trees against Dutch elm disease hopes others will follow their lead.

Read
5:02 PM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Bombers face season test playing best in the West

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read Preview

Bombers face season test playing best in the West

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read 3:31 PM CDT

The page has officially flipped to the second half of the season, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers find themselves teetering in the CFL’s grey zone, with the scale capable of tipping in either direction.

Sure, the club would be in the playoffs if the regular season ended today, but it’s closer to the bottom of the West Division than it is to the top.

The club’s perpetually optimistic head coach Mike O’Shea said earlier this week that his team is “probably where we need to be.”

Beyond O’Shea, it’s a mixed bag of reviews from coaches and players alike about how they are feeling through nine contests.

Read
3:31 PM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026