B.C. Premier Eby says Canada won’t work if Ottawa favours separatist premiers

Advertisement

Advertise with us

VICTORIA - Canada cannot work if "separatist premiers" get all of the attention of the federal government, B.C. Premier David said Tuesday. 

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

VICTORIA – Canada cannot work if “separatist premiers” get all of the attention of the federal government, B.C. Premier David said Tuesday. 

Eby said that is the message he’ll relay to Prime Minister Mark Carney when they meet Wednesday after Carney met with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith last week to announce pipeline promises to the West Coast and a lower carbon tax for Alberta.

“The reality is that there is a very real and present threat of a referendum on separatism in Alberta, enabled by decisions made by the Albertan government,” Eby said, when asked how much of his comment about separatist premiers was aimed at Smith. 

B.C. Premier David Eby speaks during a press conference in front of the pitch for FIFA World Cup in Vancouver, B.C., on Tuesday, May 12, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns
B.C. Premier David Eby speaks during a press conference in front of the pitch for FIFA World Cup in Vancouver, B.C., on Tuesday, May 12, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

“I believe that that is part of why we are seeing the federal government engage differently with Alberta than other premiers across the country.”

Eby made the statement at an unrelated news conference outside the legislature in Victoria as he prepares for his meeting with the prime minister in Vancouver. 

Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith signed an agreement last week that could start the construction of a new pipeline to B.C.’s coast as early as next year and announced lower carbon pricing for the province of $130 per tonne by 2040. 

Friday’s announcement by Carney and Smith did not include details about a route, and it is not clear yet whether the announced carbon price will also apply to other provinces. 

Eby said he doesn’t understand how Ottawa’s carbon agreement with Alberta is going to be implemented across Canada, because national policies need to be negotiated with all premiers, not just one.

“The prime minister needs to answer for why he made that decision,” Eby said. “It’s not one I agree with.”

Eby said projects being advanced in B.C. are pro-Canadian, yet they are being left out of the discussion.

“Bluntly, we cannot have bad behaviour decide who gets engaged with by the federal government,” Eby said. “We need to stand up for Canada, and we need to make sure we are supporting every province and territory with equal respect and that is what will provide a unified country.”

Eby used Tuesday’s news conference to tout various provincial projects in need of federal support. 

“We have $88 billion in projects, 34 different major projects, 40 per cent of projects in the major projects office — real projects with proponents and routes, and ready to go,” Eby said. 

British Columbia, he added, just needs to see the same level of support that Alberta has seen from Carney.

“We need to do it together, and we need to have at least as much enthusiasm from the federal government for B.C. projects, as they (have) shown for Alberta projects.”

A spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office said in an emailed statement late Tuesday that it will work with all provinces and territories on getting “big things” built to benefit British Columbians and all Canadians.

The statement said one-third of projects and “transformative strategies” referred to the Major Projects Office are in B.C.

Trevor Halford, interim leader for the Conservative Party of B.C., said Eby’s comments were meant to improve his poll numbers.

“At the end of the day, he should be learning to be more co-operative and less obstructionist,” Halford told reporters in the legislature. “Unfortunately, there’s a disconnect in the relationship between the prime minister and the premier of B.C., and obviously, the premier is going to try and weaponize that like he did today,” Halford said on Tuesday. 

In the legislature on Tuesday, the B.C. Conservatives accused Eby of opposing the proposed pipeline to the detriment of British Columbia.

Eby and others NDP members in turn said the Conservatives were standing up for Alberta, while opposing projects like LNG Canada Phase 2 in Terrace, B.C. 

One of Eby’s sharpest hecklers was Conservative Claire Rattee, who represents the Terrace-area riding. 

Speaker Raj Chouhan asked Rattee to leave the chamber, following two direct warnings.

Rattee later apologized to Chouhan for disrespecting his authority, but then raised a point of order, saying that Eby knowingly misled the public about her party’s record on LNG.

Chouhan said he would consider Rattee’s point of order, but did not say when he would issue a ruling.

Rattee later told reporters that she was kicked out of the chamber for being argumentative with the speaker. 

“For me personally, this is a hill I am willing to die on,” she said. “I am fine with being kicked out of the chamber, if it means that I’m speaking the truth. What the premier did today was essentially disparage our entire caucus and claim that we were not supportive of LNG Canada.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 19, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
12:25 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Preview

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

A retired doctor is raising red flags on Manitoba Hydro’s proposed gas plant expansion in Brandon and the health-related consequences of climate change.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Early returns unpromising for Sky Blues

Jerrad Peters 4 minute read Preview

Early returns unpromising for Sky Blues

Jerrad Peters 4 minute read 1:40 PM CDT

It is a question whose answer will shape the near-term future of English football: “How will Manchester City deal with the departure of Pep Guardiola?”

Early returns are not exactly promising.

Last Sunday, in its first competitive match since Guardiola’s resignation back in May, City was whipped 3-0 in the Community Shield by reigning Premier League champion Arsenal. It was a scoreline that flattered the well-beaten side.

Now, it was also just one match, and no doubt incoming City boss Enzo Maresca will make some adjustments ahead of Bournemouth’s visit to Etihad Stadium this weekend (Sunday, 8 a.m., FuboTV). He’ll try, anyway. His starting 11 that took the field at Wembley was close to his strongest available team, so whatever changes he devises will not involve personnel.

Read
1:40 PM CDT