Shared Health nurses wait for final contract offer

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Nurses employed by Shared Health are waiting for a final offer after they were the only group provincewide to reject a proposed contract last month.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/06/2024 (787 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Nurses employed by Shared Health are waiting for a final offer after they were the only group provincewide to reject a proposed contract last month.

“Once that is received, we will inform members,” the Manitoba Nurses Union said Wednesday.

A Shared Health spokesperson said bargaining is ongoing for about 4,100 nurses who work at Health Sciences Centre, CancerCare Manitoba, Diagnostic Services in the province, Selkirk Mental Health Centre, the Manitoba Adolescent Treatment Centre, the Children’s Centre for Rehabilitation and Eden Health Care Services.

The Health Sciences Centre (Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files)

The Health Sciences Centre (Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files)

Nurses under Shared Health were the only holdouts among nurses from six health regions across Manitoba. New contracts were approved by primarily narrow margins following union member votes in May for Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, Prairie Mountain Health Authority, Interlake-Eastern Health Authority, Northern Health Authority and Southern Health.

Shared Health nurses voted 57 per cent in favour of rejecting the proposed contract.

The lack of protection against unmanageable workloads and unsafe nurse-to-patient ratios, as well as pay discrepancies between full-time and part-time nurses were major factors in some nurses’ dissatisfaction with the proposed contract.

Following the May 17 vote, nurses spoke to the Free Press on the condition of anonymity. One nurse said she couldn’t take on full-time hours because she needs child care. Another said she voted against the contract because of wage discrepancies.

The proposal included bonus pay for full-time nurses and part-time nurses who are taking on the equivalent of full-time hours. The bonus works out to roughly $6 per hour.

“You start creating wage discrepancies, and then it’s not a happy work environment,” a full-time HSC nurse said on May 18.

“We’re all working hard, we’re all working under these negative conditions that we read about, especially here at HSC.”

— Free Press staff

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Preview

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

A retired doctor is raising red flags on Manitoba Hydro’s proposed gas plant expansion in Brandon and the health-related consequences of climate change.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:01 PM CDT

Let it be known that when Canada’s provinces and alcohol industries needed a defender, Canada’s first First Nations provincial premier was their greatest warrior.

This is, admittedly, a provocative opening line — referencing historical and cultural intersections and relying on a stereotype or two.

It’s impossible, however, not to see how important the nearly Canada-wide provincial-led ban on the sale of U.S. alcohol is to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.

It’s due to his stand on national matters like these that he’s become very popular — according to polls, the most popular premier in Canada — and has been empowered to take on the mantle of one of the captains of “Team Canada” on economic, political and domestic issues.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:01 PM CDT

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Rail-traffic alert beacons, signs will give drivers chance to change routes, save time

Joyanne Pursaga 2 minute read Preview

Rail-traffic alert beacons, signs will give drivers chance to change routes, save time

Joyanne Pursaga 2 minute read Yesterday at 1:51 PM CDT

A new rail-crossing alert system will help Winnipeg drivers avoid train delays.

Roadside TRAINFO beacons and digital message boards will now flash at locations prior to select rail crossings. They will alert drivers to approaching trains, with adequate time to let them choose an alternate route and avoid the wait.

The flashing beacons are now located at the following high train-traffic spots:

Pandora Avenue at Day Street, Redonda Street and Ravenhurst Street, to note trains at the Ravenhurst rail crossing north of Dugald Road.East and west of the multiple rail crossings on Marion Avenue between Archibald Street and Lagimodiere Boulevard, to note trains along the corridor.At the intersection of McGillivray Boulevard and Waverley Street, to note trains crossing McGillivray at Pembina Highway.Digital message sign boards will also be placed on Sterling Lyon Boulevard and Kenaston Boulevard to note when trains are present at the McGillivray/Pembina crossing.

Read
Yesterday at 1:51 PM CDT

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 10:25 AM CDT

Manitoba hasn’t agreed to put American liquor back on shelves despite Prime Minister Mark Carney’s request while his government finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. to avoid new tariffs.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 10:25 AM CDT

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:32 PM CDT

A mayoral candidate is vowing to have security teams monitor parks and remove people doing drugs at the green spaces, if elected.

Mike Vogiatzakis held a news conference at city hall Friday, where he shared some initial promises.

“People (who) are not supposed to be in those parks, who are bringing drugs to those parks, who are injecting needles in their bodies, they will be removed (from) those parks immediately and their needles will go with them,” said Vogiatzakis.

He vowed to release a new pledge each week for the rest of the campaign.

Read
Yesterday at 5:32 PM CDT