Tech experts hope federal AI funding will help quicken adoption, commercialization

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - Tech experts are hopeful that more than two billion dollars in federal funding for Canada's artificial intelligence industry will accelerate the adoption of technology and help businesses commercialize AI products and services.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 08/04/2024 (866 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

TORONTO – Tech experts are hopeful that more than two billion dollars in federal funding for Canada’s artificial intelligence industry will accelerate the adoption of technology and help businesses commercialize AI products and services.

The federal government announced Sunday that its upcoming budget will set aside $2.4 billion to help bolster Canada’s AI sector.

Krista Jones, chief delivery officer at the MaRS Discovery District innovation hub in Toronto, says the announcement is exciting for the industry.

Experts say they are hopeful about the federal government's pre-budget announcement regarding artificial intelligence. The Peace Tower on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Monday, March 18, 2024. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Experts say they are hopeful about the federal government's pre-budget announcement regarding artificial intelligence. The Peace Tower on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Monday, March 18, 2024. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

She said it will help the industry move from researching AI to more widespread commercialization.

“We were so ahead of the game on the research side and focusing on the talent that it took a while for us to focus on the next level, which is the adoption piece,” she said. “It’s better late than never.”

Jones said developing AI in Canada and the potential for it to become more affordable is also exciting for businesses.

However, she added, Canadian businesses have historically been risk-averse and financially conservative when it comes to adopting new technology.

Sometimes, she said, “people get hung up on the things about AI that are not happening today, and they miss what we call applied AI and applied AI adoption which will enhance the productivity of those sectors.”

“(The funding) is a badly needed kind of injection,” Jones said.

A study from consulting firm KPMG showed 35 per cent of Canadian companies it surveyed had adopted AI by February last year. Meanwhile, 72 per cent of U.S. businesses were using the technology.

The funding shows the urgency and seriousness of the government on the AI sector, and helps regain global momentum, said Karim Bardeesy, executive director of the policy and leadership think tank The Dais at Toronto Metropolitan University.

But, he added, the public funding alone will not be enough.

“The public sector is putting a lot of dollars in, but we need to see that the private sector and institutional investors play their part as well,” Bardeesy said.

He said Canada once had a strong lead in AI technology and that won’t be regained if the industry only relies on governments to pave the way.

The federal government says the bulk of the AI funding will go into a fund that will aim to provide access to computing capabilities and technical infrastructure.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Sunday that $200 million will go toward boosting the adoption of AI in sectors like agriculture, health care and clean technology.

He said during the pre-budget tour that the federal government will begin consulting with industry soon on a new AI Compute Access Fund and an accompanying strategy to expand the sector in Canada.

The government also plans to launch a $50-million AI safety institute to protect against what it calls “advanced or nefarious AI systems.” Another $5.1 million will go toward an office of the AI and Data Commissioner to enforce the proposed Artificial Intelligence and Data Act.

The funding will help startups bring new technology to market and accelerate AI adoption, an area where Canada has been struggling, said Carole Piovesan, managing partner with INQ Law.

However, if Canada is going to have a dedicated AI and data commissioner, more funding will be needed, as $5.1 million isn’t going to give the office “enough of the expertise and enough budget to respond to industry demand for guidance on responsible AI,” she said.

The Canadian Chamber of Commerce also praised the announcement but called on the government to improve Bill C-27, the first federal legislation specifically aimed at artificial intelligence.

“We can’t continue to layer on additional red tape that will stifle and undermine private sector investment,” said Ulrike Bahr-Gedalia of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in a statement.

“While this announcement makes way for new opportunities for AI in Canada, the truth of the matter is that the government needs to fix Bill C-27, which will drive productivity and adoption away from Canada if not addressed.”

Bill C-27 would update privacy laws and introduce new obligations for “high-impact” systems.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 8, 2024.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Financial literacy safe space

Joel Schlesinger 5 minute read Preview

Financial literacy safe space

Joel Schlesinger 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Safe spaces can seem few and far between for individuals feeling behind the curve of banking online.

It’s often a double whammy of anxiety inducement.

For one, they’re unfamiliar with the technology other Canadians take for granted. Second, using the technology involves their money, leading to the fear a misstep will lead to financial losses.

Mehran Hossain can relate.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Gun found after police spot masked taxi riders

1 minute read Yesterday at 10:17 AM CDT

Winnipeg police officers seized a sawed-off rifle and arrested a 13-year-old boy after spotting people wearing ski masks inside a taxi Monday afternoon.

North district community support officers were on patrol at about 3:45 p.m. when they noticed the taxi’s masked occupants, who weren’t wearing seatbelts, near McPhillips Street and Pritchard Avenue, police said.

While speaking to one of the passengers, the officers noticed what appeared to be the outline of a gun inside a satchel.

After arresting the passengers, police seized a sawed-off .22-calibre rifle and ammunition, a shotgun shell and about half a gram of methamphetamine, which has a street value of about $30, a news release said.

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Braxton Kuntz began the week not knowing if he’d even be able to play in the Manitoba Open.

The 22-year-old Winnipegger will head to Elmhurst early Friday morning just one shot off the lead — hanging tough with the heavyweights from PGA Tour Americas — after firing a fantastic five-under 65 Thursday afternoon.

“Playing in front of friends, family, a nice gallery watching out there…to start out like that, I’m putting myself in contention,” said Kuntz.

He didn’t realize just how close he was until the Free Press informed him that only Kentucky’s Drew Doyle, who has already won on tour earlier this season, had posted a better score among the 156-player field. Doyle shot a six-under 64.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Fish briefs

Grace Penner 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

The Sioux Falls Canaries had a taste for fish as the club beat the Winnipeg Goldeyes in this week’s series.

Despite being on the road, the Winnipeg Goldeyes (45-37) started off the series with a strong win on Tuesday night. They soloed the scoreboard into the fourth inning with a 7-0 sweep until the Canaries (43-41) snuck in two runs in the bottom. Peyton Holt, Adam Hall, Ramón Bramasco, and Noah Marcelo had four runs in the top of that inning.

Even though Sioux Falls were able to slowly make their way up to six runs, catcher/infielder Marcelo secured their lead hitting two homers driving in two runs during the game.

Pitcher Landen Bourassa held the mound the majority of the innings, striking out seven, with relief pitchers Sage Ferguson and Derrick Cherry guarding the lead to give the Fish the 9-6 win.

Attached home by A & S blends style with function

Todd Lewys 4 minute read Preview

Attached home by A & S blends style with function

Todd Lewys 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

As attractive as the exterior designs of most two-storey attached homes are, would-be buyers often cringe inwardly when they think about what awaits inside.

Many two-storey attached designs that fall in the 1,300 to 1,400 sq. ft. range can have a long, narrow feel to their interiors.

That’s totally understandable, as most two-storey attached homes are built on lots with a width of under 30 feet.

A & S Homes’ new, two-storey attached show home at 273 Moonlight Bay isn’t one of those, says Rob Hutchison of RE/MAX Performance Realty.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT