A quick history of B.C.’s Red Chris mine where three workers are trapped underground

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The eyes of many are on a northern British Columbia gold and copper mine as rescue efforts are underway to free three contractors trapped underground. This is not the first time the Red Chris mine has been in the spotlight.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/07/2025 (393 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The eyes of many are on a northern British Columbia gold and copper mine as rescue efforts are underway to free three contractors trapped underground. This is not the first time the Red Chris mine has been in the spotlight.

In its decades-long history, the property 80 km south of Dease Lake, B.C., has been the focus of a hostile takeover, a Supreme Court of Canada decision, a months-long blockade, and a more recent provincial plan to combat U.S. tariffs.

Here’s a look at the mine’s background: 

The entrance to the Red Chris mine near Iskut, B.C., is shown on Wednesday, July 23. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Dave Middleton
The entrance to the Red Chris mine near Iskut, B.C., is shown on Wednesday, July 23. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Dave Middleton

Acquisition and Supreme Court of Canada case

In 2003, Red Chris was under the control of bcMetals Corp., but it would eventually be taken over by Imperial Metals in April 2007 at a cost of $68.6 million

The mine was the focus of a landmark decision in the Supreme Court of Canada in 2010. The top court ruled that the mine could go ahead, but said that the federal government needed to do more to ensure its environmental assessment laws are followed. 

At the time, the government had decided that it only needed to evaluated a proposed tailings pond at the site, without considering the rest of the project.

Justice Marshall Rothstein ruled that the government is obligated under the Environmental Assessment Act to consider proposed mining projects in their entirety.

The ruling did not stop the mine because the court said the non-profit organization that brought forward the case, did not have a direct financial interest and it didn’t challenge the project’s approval — only the way it was carried out. 

Protests and production

In 2014, protesters from the Tahltan First Nation held a months-long blockade at the mine site in response to the catastrophic collapse of a tailings pond at Imperial Metals’ Mount Polley Mine in August that year. 

The First Nation later instigated an environmental review of the mine, and then signed on to co-manage the mine with Imperial Metals.

The mine’s operator said in a letter earlier this year that Red Chris has 220 Tahltan employees and spends more than $100 million annually with the Tahltan Nation Development Corporation.

The required permits were in place by 2015.

Then-mines minister Bill Bennett said he was confident the mine wouldn’t experience a similar breach to the Mount Polley mine because the Red Chris tailings storage facility has undergone three independent reviews.

A post from Imperial says 2020 production at Red Chris was 88.3 million pounds copper and 73,787 ounces gold. 

Expansion and tariff fight

The mine is currently undergoing an expansion project involving a transition from open-pit to a block-cave mining method. 

Imperial and Newcrest Mining Ltd. formed a joint venture for the operation of the mine in 2019, with Newcrest acting as operator. Imperial retains a 30 per cent interest.

The company said the new deal would “leverage Newcrest’s unique technical expertise in block-caving operations.”

Newcrest was acquired by the mine’s current operator, Newmont Corporation, in 2023.

In response to U.S. tariffs, the B.C. government announced earlier this year that the mine’s expansion would be among 18 mining and energy projects that would be fast-tracked through some type of permit or approval from the province.

Premier David Eby said the goal was to diversify the economy, assuming there would be “four years of continual on-and-off tariff threats” from the United States under President Donald Trump.

A letter from Newmont’s general manager at Red Chris to the Tahltan Nation in February says the provincial decision to prioritize the block-cave project does not change Newmont’s approach. 

“We fully respect the Tahltan consent decision, and we are committed to building a strong partnership with Tahltan Nation based on trust, transparency, mutual benefit, and a shared vision for the future that respects Tahltan values and a Tahltan way of life,” it says.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 24, 2025

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Updated: 11:19 AM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Updated: 11:19 AM CDT

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

Climate change, capable ships could extend Churchill shipping season by months, studies show

Gabrielle Piché 3 minute read Preview

Climate change, capable ships could extend Churchill shipping season by months, studies show

Gabrielle Piché 3 minute read 1:14 PM CDT

Climate change and ice-strengthened ships — but not the most expensive icebreakers — could enable a much longer shipping season through the Port of Churchill, new studies released Friday show.

However, the studies flagged tricky navigation to the port.

The Manitoba government shared results of studies from the University of Manitoba, the Arctic Research Foundation and Fednav, Canada’s largest international dry bulk shipping company.

Fednav ships through the Arctic; it recommends Polar Class 4 vessels, which could cost up to $130 million new and up to $85 million used.

Read
1:14 PM CDT

Province fogging in West St. Paul due to high counts of West Nile-carrying mosquitoes

Free Press staff 3 minute read Preview

Province fogging in West St. Paul due to high counts of West Nile-carrying mosquitoes

Free Press staff 3 minute read 12:37 PM CDT

Manitoba Health will conduct a third round of fogging in the RM of West St. Paul due to high counts of a West Nile virus-carrying mosquito and a high infection rate in the area.

The province said spraying of the DeltaGard 20EW insecticide is scheduled to happen this weekend, as long as weather conditions are suitable, to reduce the risk of human exposure, which remains high.

The RM of West St. Paul will notify residents when the date is confirmed. The date will be published on the Manitoba Health’s website.

Manitoba has reported one confirmed and three probable human cases of West Nile virus in 2026. The confirmed case was in Prairie Mountain Health region in western Manitoba. Two probable cases were in Interlake-Eastern and one was in Southern Health.

Read
12:37 PM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT