Immigration plan slashes student visas, prioritizes economic newcomers

Advertisement

Advertise with us

OTTAWA - Canada's 2026-2028 immigration levels plan aims to increase the number of economic immigrants coming to the country while cutting temporary migration, largely through a dramatic reduction in student visas.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 04/11/2025 (291 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

OTTAWA – Canada’s 2026-2028 immigration levels plan aims to increase the number of economic immigrants coming to the country while cutting temporary migration, largely through a dramatic reduction in student visas.

The new levels plan cuts in half the planned number of student visas for the next three years, bringing it down to 155,000 in 2026 from about 306,000 in the previous year’s plan. The government plans to issue about 150,000 student visas annually in both 2027 and 2028.

Post-secondary institutions across Canada have been experiencing deep budget cuts due to reduced income from international student tuition fees, which tend to be four to five times higher than those paid by domestic students.

The McGill University campus on Friday, Oct. 13, 2023, in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
The McGill University campus on Friday, Oct. 13, 2023, in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz

The new plan continues a previously announced reduction in the number of temporary workers for 2026, with a revised target of 230,000, up slightly from the previously targeted 210,000 for that year. The number is down significantly from the nearly 368,000 temporary workers permitted in to Canada for 2025.

The budget document does not say how many temporary worker visas are being allocated through the International Mobility Program — which targets specialized, hard-to-find talent — and the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, which requires that employers demonstrate they couldn’t find a Canadian to fill a job.

In the past, more work visas have been allocated to the International Mobility Program than to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

The budget document says that these targets will reduce temporary immigrants’ share of the population to less than five per cent by the end of 2027.

The Conservatives have been calling on the government to scrap the temporary foreign worker program due to the high youth unemployment rate.

The budget document says the government recognizes the key role temporary workers play in some sectors and will look to ensure rural, remote and tariff-hit businesses have enough people.

The government plans to admit about 380,000 new permanent residents annually from 2026 to 2028.

The plan prioritizes economic immigrants with a target of just under 240,000 in 2026. That grows to almost 245,000 in 2027 and 2028 — an increase of about 10,000 above the previous 2026 target. 

The budget also proposes a plan to “accelerate” 33,000 work permit holders to permanent resident status over the next two years. That’s in addition to the main permanent residency targets.

The budget pitches a $1.7 billion multi-year recruitment plan for international talent. The plan focuses on attracting more than 1,000 researchers to Canadian universities in fields like engineering, natural sciences, humanities and health.

The target for family reunification is being cut by about 4,000 immigrants compared to the old plan, with 84,000 visas expected in 2026.

The number of refugees, protected persons and people receiving permanent residency on humanitarian grounds is also being reduced in 2026, from 62,250 in the old plan to 54,300 in the new one.

Unlike previous levels plans, the one in the new budget does not state how many visas are being allocated to specific immigration streams such as the provincial nominee program.

Additional details of the immigration levels plan are expected when the immigration minister tables the department’s annual report. By law, this document has to be tabled in Parliament on or before Nov. 1, while Parliament is sitting.

In addition to the levels plan, the budget proposes a “one-time” initiative to recognize “eligible” protected persons as permanent residents over the next two years. The budget describes this as a “practical step,” since many protected persons can’t return to their home countries.

The government has not yet released details on which protected persons will be eligible.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on Nov. 4, 2025.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDT

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 4 minute read Preview

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

To this day, I still remember the morning polar plunges into Moose Lake — a cold shock to the system meant to wake campers up before the sun hit its peak.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Fish briefs

Grace Penner 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

The Sioux Falls Canaries had a taste for fish as the club beat the Winnipeg Goldeyes in this week’s series.

Despite being on the road, the Winnipeg Goldeyes (45-37) started off the series with a strong win on Tuesday night. They soloed the scoreboard into the fourth inning with a 7-0 sweep until the Canaries (43-41) snuck in two runs in the bottom. Peyton Holt, Adam Hall, Ramón Bramasco, and Noah Marcelo had four runs in the top of that inning.

Even though Sioux Falls were able to slowly make their way up to six runs, catcher/infielder Marcelo secured their lead hitting two homers driving in two runs during the game.

Pitcher Landen Bourassa held the mound the majority of the innings, striking out seven, with relief pitchers Sage Ferguson and Derrick Cherry guarding the lead to give the Fish the 9-6 win.

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Preview

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Updated: 8:19 AM CDT

It was a microcosm of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ season to this point: a first half that burned bright only to be doused in cold water.

The Bombers began the first leg of their mid-season gauntlet with a 22-19 loss to the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium in the Alberta capital on Friday night.

Elks quarterback Cody Fajardo orchestrated an eight-play, 54-yard drive that set up a 40-yard game-winning field goal by Vincent Blanchard that snuck inside the left upright with zeros on the clock.

The drive, which was plagued by poor tackling by the Bombers defence, came after Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo tied the game at 19-19 on a 53-yard boot with 1:41 remaining in the contest.

Read
Updated: 8:19 AM CDT

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Preview

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara doesn’t mince words when describing how bad things are in the province’s emergency departments and urgent-care centres.

“The wait times that we are seeing in Manitoba are unacceptable,” said Asagwara in an interview with the Free Press.

“I hear from families, I hear from providers, I hear from Manitobans who are concerned about the wait times that they’re seeing, that they’re experiencing, and those concerns are valid — I share those concerns.”

So what is the NDP, who promised voters nearly three years ago it had the answers to bring down wait times, doing about it?

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT